What's Ford going to do for the police market? - Page 2

What's Ford going to do for the police market?

This is a discussion on What's Ford going to do for the police market? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'd say the Taurus, but if the PDs were smart, they'd ALL get Carbon E-7s...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Ford going to do for the police market?

I'd say the Taurus, but if the PDs were smart, they'd ALL get Carbon E-7s
    Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward, and freedom will be defended

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MoHawk View Post
    I'd say the Taurus, but if the PDs were smart, they'd ALL get Carbon E-7s
    If I had to bet, its going to be a version of the Taurus. I think they do make a RWD one in Australia, for that market only. It would make sense...

The only problem I see with Carbon is they are new. A new car, new company, new everything. When you buy a fleet, you are looking far beyond they actual life span of the car. You are outfitting the car with a ton of equipment that is vehicle specific. I'm not sure I'd want to spend 2/3 of my fleet budget with a company that may or may not be there to support the fleet in the future. I hope they are a success though.
    "Just blame Sixto"

What is the Life Expectancy of a Police Cruiser? When will we begin to not see the Crown Vic anymore.

I Love my Crown Vic. Definately a beast of a car.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

We are transitioning to Chargers, As for the long term
    I dont have a clue but Chevy is defiantly out, no FWD's
    as long as my Chief stays in office.

I will miss the Old tried and true CVPI
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

I drive an Impala and hate it. Best poilce vehicle I can get my hands on is a Silverado 4 door
    Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward, and freedom will be defended

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    I heard a lot of police companies have been lining up purchases of the Chevy Impala for the time being. They are FWD but a lot of agencies are going with them already.

I'm not sure RWD is such a demand anymore. I know up here in the NY snow belt a lot of police use 4x4 or FWD with less and less RWD being seen.

I think if there is a high demand, Ford will react with something. But I think perhaps they are trying to weigh the supply/demand of the whole issue.

At the moment not too many police agencies are adding vehicles as it is, and when they are many are taking advantage of whatever "fleet" vehicles they can snatch up for a good deal.

Ford has been far and away America's smartest car maker. I know because I worked for them in 2005 and was handed my walking papers because they were already preparing for the economic slide. At the time I thought they were being stupid, but it turned out they were the only ones that were smart.

I can remember the meeting where GM and Chrysler both called Ford "arbitrarily reactive" and said they were in "panic" because of what GM was doing. The other big two thought Ford was going under, that they could not compete in the modern auto market..... kinda illustrates why Ford was the only one who didn't need a bailout.

So with that, if Ford does not feel the demand is there they won't build anything. They will either offer police a FWD or AWD version of something they already make. As is indicated for 2011 release.
    I'm here in Buffalo, arguably one of the snowiest places in the northeast and the BPD uses Crown Vic's. all the first and second ring suburbs use Crown Vic's too.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    My employer is already using Dodge Chargers for traffic enforcement. I reckon the quick and dirty solution will be to buy more Chargers. Probably, the less powerful Chargers for patrol, and the faster ones for traffic enforcement.

We had BAD lock with some Impalas we tried a few years ago. Transmissions were a particularly weak link. If we go back to Impalas, I am going to buy stock in the company that makes replacement parts for those transmissions!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    I'm here in Buffalo, arguably one of the snowiest places in the northeast and the BPD uses Crown Vic's. all the first and second ring suburbs use Crown Vic's too.
    The Vic's are fine in the snow, you just have to know how to drive them. Growing up in the snow belt, I laugh at my coworkers who are quick to park the Vic's and take a SUV at the slightest sign of snow. I'm also the only one who refuse to use chains.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member
    What's it like getting a prisoner in and out of a Charger? The back seats don't look like they have too much room especially with a divider.

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    What's it like getting a prisoner in and out of a Charger? The back seats don't look like they have too much room especially with a divider.
    Who cares if they are comfy they are prisoners...LOL
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Who cares if they are comfy they are prisoners...LOL
    LOL

I think it's less about prisoner comfort but more about officer ease and safety. If they have a combative person it looks like a much smaller hole they have to stuff them into and then eventually get them out of.

Administrator
    The Chargers are tight, the Vics are too. With Dodge's "Cab Forward" design makes the interior room a little deceiving.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    I guess I am in a unique position.

I get to drive the Crown Vic, the Charger and an a Caprice.

I love the Crown vic. It has an enormous amount of space compared to the other two. The Charger looks cool and runs like a scalded dog, but they don't ride as well and the back seat is small. The Caprice is my least favorite. The space in it sucks. It drives well but it is ugly, and the space up front ain't that great.

I have put three prisoners in the back of a CV, there is no way you could do that with any other car. You could put a couple of dead bodys in the trunk, in a Charger you can barely fit a tire, and all of the other crap like traffic cones,flares and your bag of tricks and you cant do it that well in the Caprice either.

I'm a big dude and it takes me a full minute to get out of a Caprice. The Charger handles well at high speeds it hugs the ground, the Caprice is OK and the CV suspension kinds of floats around once you get over 110 mph. Taking a hard curve feels like you are about to lose it. With the Caprice it sticks to the ground better but neither can compare with the Charger. Even with the Charger, by the time you put a console with everything in it and a computer, you have little room for anything else up front and a passenger is pretty cramped up. At least with the CV two people can sit fairly comfortable. With the Caprice two big guys up front are going to be pretty intimate by the time the shift is over.

Whatever Ford does, I hope its BIG. I hate dinky cars. I like space and lots of it.

I wish that someone would design a cop car from the ground up and not just add all the crap to a passenger car.
    Yeah, I know that the Carbon has done that, but does anyone have one yet? I think they have the right idea, but it'll take another decade before they are widespread if they ever do get there.

I want to see a million power spotlight on each side, thermal and infrared devices, runflats, and a remote operated .50 cal machine gun turret on top. On the wheels I want hubs like the war chariots used on the Movie Ben Hur with a ramming spike on front that would impale a running car. Another cool feature would be a multi shot Taser that is operated from inside with about a 100 foot range and a spike strip that you could drop while running down the highway. I would like to see a few rails on the back bumper so that you could handcuff uncooperative suspects to it so that you could walk them back to the station.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

^^^^ LOL. Wow. I think I've seen that movie. Wasn't it Judge Dread?

Senior Moderator
    Judge Dread...I AM THE LAW!
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links