What's Ford going to do for the police market? - Page 6

What's Ford going to do for the police market?

This is a discussion on What's Ford going to do for the police market? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by sigmanluke True, but, the Tahoe is also much taller. At speeds normal for a police vehicle, I can see a problem on ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: What's Ford going to do for the police market?

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    True, but, the Tahoe is also much taller. At speeds normal for a police vehicle, I can see a problem on tight, windy(sp?) roads.
    Absolutely, it's higher center of gravity will be it's biggest downfall for high speed maneuverability. I was just thinking for maneuverability on narrow city streets it shouldn't be any worse than a Crown Vic.

I have an 09 Tahoe and it's pretty nimble for it's size, but I'm also not doing police chases with it either.

Administrator
    I just talked with some guys in a neighboring jurisdiction this morning at court about their Tahoes. They love 'em. Maybe I ought to rethink my position on them.
    Interesting thing is, the Tahoe out performs the CV (not that its hard to do)
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Our K9 guys used Tahoes, and hated them. They use Expeditions now, as do some other non-patrol units. They seem happier with the Expeditions. I have no idea how Expeditions perform at high speed maneuvers.

As slow as my reflexes are becoming, as I close in on a half-century of existence, I tend to avoid pursuit driving lately, anyway, so I reckon they could issue me a Prius.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    As slow as my reflexes are becoming, as I close in on a half-century of existence, I tend to avoid pursuit driving lately, anyway, so I reckon they could issue me a Prius.
    Due to budget cuts you can only get one of these. :)

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    Absolutely, it's higher center of gravity will be it's biggest downfall for high speed maneuverability. I was just thinking for maneuverability on narrow city streets it shouldn't be any worse than a Crown Vic.

I have an 09 Tahoe and it's pretty nimble for it's size, but I'm also not doing police chases with it either.
    I had a customer curb check a Tahoe at 60 mph. The Black Box download from GM was amazing. The Stabilitrac recovered from a 3g side load, and slapped the wheels down on the ground from a 50 degree roll. I am less afraid of the high CG than I am of a CV fuel tank.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    everyone will know tomorrow...

Ford Police Interceptor

Administrator
    Yup, I signed up last week to get the webcast. I forgot to update this thread.

My final bet is going to be a Falcon.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    I'm a consultant to Ford and just received this in an email:

Ford will reveal the new purpose-built Ford Police Interceptor to media on Friday at a special event in Las Vegas. The new vehicle is designed to provide reduce ownership costs through improved fuel efficiency, quality and increased durability. Ford, which has about 75 percent of the police pursuit business in the U.S., developed the new vehicle on its large car platform in conjunction with the Ford Police Advisory Board.
    Proud NRA member

We were told it was going to be a new rear wheel drive version of the taurus. I guess I will just have to wait until tomorrow.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

Administrator
    Well, it does look like it is based on the Falcon, with the SHO engine. Pretty cool if you ask me. There is also a lot of features specific to police use that will be very helpful to the fleet managers and their budgets. I think Ford has hit a home run with this.
    In addition, there will be a second Interceptor revealed later this summer. The clues given leads me to believe it is an SUV. We shall see.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    First police car I ever rode in (front seat!) had one single strobe on a roof rack, Federal air siren, no power windows, locks or air con. How things have changed.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Taken from fordpoliceinterceptor.com
    Watch the reveal of the new police interceptor
    IDPA, USPSA, NRA & USCCA!

Senior Moderator
    There is no way I'd want a Hummer for a patrol vehicle. We just ordered some Tahoes, we'll see how that goes
    We have 3 of them at the S.O.
    I am not impressed. Its small up front. By the time you cram the radios and the switches in there its even worse. With a computer in the front seat, you can barely get a passenger in there.
    One thing about the Tahoe...

Most peole dont recognize it as a cop car. With the smallish LED lightbar, if you arent looking right at it, it looks like part of the roof rack. The guys that drive them see crazy driving acts in that car that an officer in a regular patrol car dont.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    We have 3 of them at the S.O.
    I am not impressed. Its small up front. By the time you cram the radios and the switches in there its even worse. With a computer in the front seat, you can barely get a passenger in there.
    One thing about the Tahoe...

Most peole dont recognize it as a cop car. With the smallish LED lightbar, if you arent looking right at it, it looks like part of the roof rack. The guys that drive them see crazy driving acts in that car that an officer in a regular patrol car dont.
    I'm a little confused, are you saying that the Hummer is small up front or the Tahoe?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Senior Moderator
    The Tahoe.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links