What's Ford going to do for the police market?

This is a discussion on What's Ford going to do for the police market? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'd be interested in hearing what others have heard from other parts of the country. Ford is discontinuing the Interceptor in a year. That means ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Ford going to do for the police market?

Administrator

What's Ford going to do for the police market?

I'd be interested in hearing what others have heard from other parts of the country. Ford is discontinuing the Interceptor in a year. That means no more of the familiar police car in your rear view.
    I've heard every thing from the Edge, the a RWD Taurus, and a bring back of the 500.
    I've also heard that Carbon is teaming up with Ford. I think that is a stretch.

So what have you heard?
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

Around here they are all going to Dodge Chargers.
    Don't know about Fords plans but as a Ford guy myself I hope they come up with something.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

I did see this: Ford confirms new patrol car will replace Crown Vic in 2011

The question that I have is if they go to a front wheel drive car how does that impact the training that all of the officers have had on rear wheel drive cars?

Administrator
    Training isnt a big issue, but a front wheel drive for patrol work is horrible. I thought that lesson was learned with the Impala's. The components just wont hold up to police use.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Pete14 View Post
    I did see this: Ford confirms new patrol car will replace Crown Vic in 2011

The question that I have is if they go to a front wheel drive car how does that impact the training that all of the officers have had on rear wheel drive cars?
    Sounds interesting .
    After owning an allwheel drive Subaru I think it all wheel drive for
    police cars sounds like a no brainer.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'd be interested in hearing what others have heard from other parts of the country. Ford is discontinuing the Interceptor in a year. That means no more of the familiar police car in your rear view.
    I've heard every thing from the Edge, the a RWD Taurus, and a bring back of the 500.
    I've also heard that Carbon is teaming up with Ford. I think that is a stretch.

So what have you heard?
    I heard a lot of police companies have been lining up purchases of the Chevy Impala for the time being. They are FWD but a lot of agencies are going with them already.

I'm not sure RWD is such a demand anymore. I know up here in the NY snow belt a lot of police use 4x4 or FWD with less and less RWD being seen.

I think if there is a high demand, Ford will react with something. But I think perhaps they are trying to weigh the supply/demand of the whole issue.

At the moment not too many police agencies are adding vehicles as it is, and when they are many are taking advantage of whatever "fleet" vehicles they can snatch up for a good deal.

Ford has been far and away America's smartest car maker. I know because I worked for them in 2005 and was handed my walking papers because they were already preparing for the economic slide. At the time I thought they were being stupid, but it turned out they were the only ones that were smart.

I can remember the meeting where GM and Chrysler both called Ford "arbitrarily reactive" and said they were in "panic" because of what GM was doing. The other big two thought Ford was going under, that they could not compete in the modern auto market..... kinda illustrates why Ford was the only one who didn't need a bailout.

So with that, if Ford does not feel the demand is there they won't build anything. They will either offer police a FWD or AWD version of something they already make. As is indicated for 2011 release.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Training isnt a big issue, but a front wheel drive for patrol work is horrible. I thought that lesson was learned with the Impala's. The components just wont hold up to police use.
    Do you think all wheel drive would have the same trouble?

Distinguished Member
    I'm interested in seeing if the new Caprice will take over the market. Officers I have spoken too aren't too enamored with what they've seen yet, too limited console space for gear and a small back seat area when a cage is installed.

Around here the Crown Vic is king with a few Chargers sprinkled in. I've only seen 2 Impalas in use.

VIP Member
    I love the Chrysler 300, I wonder how it would work for a police car. Who knows if the trunk is big enough? That is my biggest complaint with the Charger.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    I am a huge Subaru fan, an Outback would be great IMO. Most departments won't buy non American made cars though.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I've seen policed up cars from corvettes to hybrid explorers.

But its a big deal cause THE most popular police car going away... Of all the cars the crown vic was the cheapest, reliable, and easily contracted platform for police and taxi drivers all over America.

Its obsolete. Its an old car designed in the 80's. Its time for the police to get something better. They deserve it.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Administrator
    I like Sube's too, I wouldn't mind having one for myself. However, the more components added to a police car, the more costly it is going to be both to purchase and maintain. Police cars get beat. There is no way around that. Yes, the Vic is old, but its simple, tough and cheap. I hate to say it, but I don't think the big three can build a AWD system capable of withstanding police service. 4x4 is a different ballgame.

The Caprice is an interesting offering, however, Chevy doesn't exactly have the best reputation among fleet managers. Now that it's Government Motors, they might just try to muscle their way in and force their hand since most agencies buy off of state or fed bids.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I would love to take the Carbon Motor for a test drive. It you want a true test of a vehicle put it in the NYC Rental market. Rememeber my rental cars are fleeing from the police vehicles.

We used to rent Crown Vics. We used to buy newer CV at the auctions really cheap. Nobody wanted them and there was plenty of them. The good thing with them was the older noses(Fenders,Hood,Headlight panel) of the CV still bolted onto the newer frames. Most people asked "What year is the car? Late 90's. Left out the part the the nose was from early 80's. Nobody ever picked up on it.

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    I love the Chrysler 300, I wonder how it would work for a police car. Who knows if the trunk is big enough? That is my biggest complaint with the Charger.
    I've rented the fully decked out ones for long road vacations 3 times now. You can fit 3 Samoan fishermen still in their boat in the 300 trunk.

I'm not sure how it would fair for police interceptor type duties though. It's so big and heavy. I guess they'd have to do some suspension and braking upgrades among other things. Although the 300C does have the oomph with a 340hp HEMI which probably makes up for the massive drag created by the giant big rig sized box shaped front end.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ASSA9 View Post
    Around here they are all going to Dodge Chargers.
    The Chargers pretty much suck and from what I can tell, the fad is going away.

I didn't hear that Interceptor is going away. But that kind of makes me sad.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links