Law Enforcement Career Switch Question - Page 2

Law Enforcement Career Switch Question

This is a discussion on Law Enforcement Career Switch Question within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Reyno, I regret every day not leaving college with one semester to go and going through the academy. Why? Because in that last semester my ...

View Poll Results: What should I do?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leave CMU and join the academy if possible

4 6.15%
  • Finish another year at CMU and then join the academy

42 64.62%
  • Don't bother with L.E.

14 21.54%
  • Other

5 7.69%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Law Enforcement Career Switch Question

Reyno, I regret every day not leaving college with one semester to go and going through the academy. Why? Because in that last semester my wife and I got married, we started a family, got full time jobs, and started having real people bills. Now it's four or five years later, and I regret every day as I go to a desk job that I'm not out there protecting society. I still hope to one day become a cop, but I feel my chances are dwindling. Do it now before it's too late.

Quote Originally Posted by silo View Post
    Reyno, I regret every day not leaving college with one semester to go and going through the academy. Why? Because in that last semester my wife and I got married, we started a family, got full time jobs, and started having real people bills. Now it's four or five years later, and I regret every day as I go to a desk job that I'm not out there protecting society. I still hope to one day become a cop, but I feel my chances are dwindling. Do it now before it's too late.
    While I appreciate your opinion and point of view I don't see that happening. My girlfriend will be finishing her undergrad degree this year and then going on to get her masters, so I don't see us getting married anytime soon.

After the next year, if I do decide to go into L.E. it will be immediately after I am done at CMU.

I said the same thing, man. :) We both finished out undergraduates, both started Master's programs (she recently finished hers), and meanwhile I work a meaningless 9-5 job that, while I get paid well, I find zero satisfaction in. I'd easy take a 50% pay cut to become a cop.

Anyway, if you don't feel anything will inhibit you at the end of your undergraduate career, go for it. But do be aware that after you graduate, all those student loan bills will start arriving at your door, and you'll be under immense pressure to find a "real" job and not wait. Good luck to you!

My 2 cents worth. I'd finish my degree, apply to O.T.S. for the Marines. Do your tour, then apply to a police department if you want to leave the Marines. If your still denied by the Marines for medical reasons, you won't be acceptable as a police officer either is what I'm thinking; but, you'll have a degree for a job.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    If your still denied by the Marines for medical reasons, you won't be acceptable as a police officer either is what I'm thinking
    I did a little google searching and found many people saying that they live with hypoglycemia and are police officers. I also found instances of insulin dependent diabetics who were police officers.

It is my experience that police agencies are no where near as picky as the Marines are.

FWIW my hypoglycemia does not require medication, nor does it require me checking my blood sugar. The only "medication" needed for me is eating right at proper intervals throughout the day.

Distinguished Member
    I would say finish your education. 1 year is nothing and it always gives you something to fall back on.

In the mean time are there any volunteer opportunities in your area where you could start off and get your foot in the door? Around here they even have some seasonal park ranger jobs that are run from the sheriff's dept. They even tout it as a stepping stone to full time LE, get your feet wet kind of thing. Applicants are given the 2 week peace officer training at the academy. Might be something to check into.

Also, do you have any electives left? Maybe take some criminal justice classes?

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    I would say finish your education. 1 year is nothing and it always gives you something to fall back on.

In the mean time are there any volunteer opportunities in your area where you could start off and get your foot in the door? Around here they even have some seasonal park ranger jobs that are run from the sheriff's dept. They even tout it as a stepping stone to full time LE, get your feet wet kind of thing. Applicants are given the 2 week peace officer training at the academy. Might be something to check into.

Also, do you have any electives left? Maybe take some criminal justice classes?
    I'm going to look into volunteering this summer while I am home. I know Royal Oak is looking for volunteer peace officers.

Unfortunately I only have one elective left and CJ does not fit the requirements. I don't even think CMU offers any CJ classes.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reyno2ac View Post
    I'm going to look into volunteering this summer while I am home. I know Royal Oak is looking for volunteer peace officers.

Unfortunately I only have one elective left and CJ does not fit the requirements. I don't even think CMU offers any CJ classes.
    Good luck at volunteering!

Too bad about the CJ classes. Maybe a local community college has one or two you could take during the summer at home if you can't volunteer for some reason? I know you probably don't want to think of school during the summer right?

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    Good luck at volunteering!

Too bad about the CJ classes. Maybe a local community college has one or two you could take during the summer at home if you can't volunteer for some reason? I know you probably don't want to think of school during the summer right?
    Actually, almost all of the community colleges around me offer CJ classes, and I was debating taking a couple. Especially if they would do me some good when I applied for the academy.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reyno2ac View Post
    Actually, almost all of the community colleges around me offer CJ classes, and I was debating taking a couple. Especially if they would do me some good when I applied for the academy.
    Well I can't say for sure but it is what was suggested to me by an officer friend since I just missed the deadline for applying for our volunteer force. He said it would help during the interview showing you have a good understanding of the system and that you have at least looked into the job and aren't doing on a whim.

Question: how many patrol officers have a college degree? Is it common?
    "If it ain't a mess, it'll do till the mess gets here."
    -Sheriff Bell, No Country for Old Men

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    Get your degree
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Finish your degree.
    It will open more doors for you.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Plenty of police academy cadets have 4-years degrees; it is now the norm. Finish the degree!

Recently, my agency, a big-city PD, started requiring degrees for some of the plum assignments. As I near age 50, I had considered getting out of patrol; now, without a degree, it will be more difficult, because I have 70 college credit hours, not a 4-year degree. It will be difficult to get those needed hours to finish the degree before reaching the age I would probably want to retire. I should have finished the degree in the first place!
    Last edited by Rexster; February 16th, 2010 at 07:09 PM. Reason: clarification

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Your degree will make you a lot more competitive. Me? I just went to school til I could get something in law enforcement. Now, if I had a degree, perhaps I'd have already found another agency. I'm not cut out for school though.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links