Law Enforcement Career Switch Question - Page 3

Law Enforcement Career Switch Question

This is a discussion on Law Enforcement Career Switch Question within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If you can stand it finish the degree. My department pays 5-15% percent bonus for Associates-Masters. All Federal jobs pretty much require degrees as well ...

View Poll Results: What should I do?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leave CMU and join the academy if possible

4 6.15%
  • Finish another year at CMU and then join the academy

42 64.62%
  • Don't bother with L.E.

14 21.54%
  • Other

5 7.69%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Law Enforcement Career Switch Question

If you can stand it finish the degree. My department pays 5-15% percent bonus for Associates-Masters. All Federal jobs pretty much require degrees as well as alot of bigger departments. Stick with it.

Another "finish your degree" comment. Once you're in the real world, pursue what interests you, to include law enforcement. Best of luck - E
    God, country, family.

VIP Member
    I agree with Sixto in the most kind fashion.....

you'd be a knucklehead to not finish that degree now
    do it
    you can always do something else but at least you would have the degree, it can help you in the future LE or not

as others have said...lot easier to get degree now then get in LE than to get into LE then 2 to 3 years down the road try to complete the degree while working full time
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    I was in the same boat about a year ago. I too graduated high school in 2005. I had one year till I graduated with a bachelor of science in communication, but I just couldn't take school anymore; it all seemed like "BS" work. I really wanted to be in the marine corps, actually doing something with my life. Well, I should have been graduating this May. To make matters worse, they canceled a whole mess of classes I needed to graduate due to budget cuts, so I won't be graduating until December. It is disheartening to hear that a 4.0 student cannot graduate on time because of external circumstances. But, I have the privilege to be the son of a very wise man who was not able to attend college himself. He told me that college is like life; that is, it is a process. You have to enjoy the process, which is all about your attitude. A bad attitude will carry over into whatever else you do. So enjoy the challenges you have right now, and seek new challenges once you have stuck it out and graduated. Plus like many others said, LE probably won't hire you without LE experience.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Just a little more tidbits. College is not for everyone. But unfortunately, because soooooo many people get "pushed" through the system that is public education, a bachelors degree is the new high school diploma.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Senior Moderator
    Here's a novel idea.

Become a Reserve Officer while you work towards finishing your degree. Check out the various programs, many will have night classes that you attend in which you can certify. That'll give you an idea if its something that you want to do for the rest of your life.

Its not for everyone. I've known of two deptuys that grew up thinking they wanted to be cops. One quit after about a week of field training when he walked up on a guy that blew his brains out with a shotgun while sitting in his car. Another quit because it wasnt at all like he thought it'd be.

If you decide that its not for you, then, you'll have the degree to fall back on.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

finish your degree

because

a - you're not a quitter, and the recruiter will look at that.
    b - that degree opens doors farther down the line, and many places require a 4 yr degree, even in advanced basket weaving, to show you have higher education. in some places, it may be mandated for anything higher than sergeant.
    c - if you put it off, it's MUCH harder to go back to school.
    d - if you leave with all that debt and nothing to show for it, what was the point? it'll leave you frustrated later.

LE is an awesome career field, and i love my career, but it will still be there later. this is not always the case with college courses, where time is NOT on your side.

stay the course, and even when you complete, NEVER stop advancing yourself. take continuing education, maybe go for an even higher degree later.

just my two cents.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined" ~Patrick Henry

No matter what you decide to do for a career, FINISH YOUR DEGREE.

I have a great job but only three years of college. I LUCKED OUT on the job and I do mean LUCKED OUT. Beyond getting lucky in getting a great job I really like, I often regret not finishing my degree.

Do it now while you're young.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links