Oldest Death Row Inmate in U.S. Dies at Age 94

This is a discussion on Oldest Death Row Inmate in U.S. Dies at Age 94 within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Gentlemen, this is the one and only reason I am opposed to the death penalty. It is not a successful deterrence: Deterrence: States Without the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oldest Death Row Inmate in U.S. Dies at Age 94

Gentlemen, this is the one and only reason I am opposed to the death penalty. It is not a successful deterrence: Deterrence: States Without the Death Penalty Have Had Consistently Lower Murder Rates | Death Penalty Information Center (there are other sites to that is just the one I had saved from CJ 100) also the three strikes law has been shown to increase violent crimes. The thought of most criminals is "I know I am going to get life if I get caught I'm getting life so I may as well kill this person". (I know I will be asked for evidence to back up the last claim, I'll have to find it and when I do I will post it.) So a variation prob. won't be effective.

This is just my opinion, I am still very new to the whole criminal justice thing but I think I've learned a little
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    ----
    If not me, then who?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    The death penalty deters the recipient.

Quote Originally Posted by tiwee View Post
    The death penalty deters the recipient.
    Exactly.

He had sixty years of meals, housing and free medical care at what expense to the taxpayers? Three murders and still breathing.....?
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Landric View Post
    We have the death penalty on the books here in North Carolina. Of course, we are not serious about using it. There are people on death row here that were convicted and sentenced to death when I was in elementary school (I'm 37). We can't execute anyone here right now anyway, because the state can't figure out how to do it under the statute (which requires a doctor to be present, but the doctors won't do it). I suppose simply changing methods, to perhaps a firing squad, hasn't occurred to anyone.
    Maybe I can go to med school at my old age... looks like there might be some money to be made in NC.....and there will still be death rowee's waiting in line for me when I get there!!
    Christian/Father/Husband/American/NRA Benefactor Life Member/GOA Life Member/USAF NCO/Operations; Provide Comfort/Northern Watch/Southern Watch/Enduring Freedom/Iraqi Freedom/TBD....

Quote Originally Posted by hk45c View Post
    Gentlemen, this is the one and only reason I am opposed to the death penalty. It is not a successful deterrence: Deterrence: States Without the Death Penalty Have Had Consistently Lower Murder Rates | Death Penalty Information Center (there are other sites to that is just the one I had saved from CJ 100) also the three strikes law has been shown to increase violent crimes. The thought of most criminals is "I know I am going to get life if I get caught I'm getting life so I may as well kill this person". (I know I will be asked for evidence to back up the last claim, I'll have to find it and when I do I will post it.) So a variation prob. won't be effective.

This is just my opinion, I am still very new to the whole criminal justice thing but I think I've learned a little
    That website is a joke. Just look at the way the author presents the % difference as like 40%. Its more like zero to two percent when you think about it.

I wonder if the website's authors and contributors Contact DPIC | Death Penalty Information Center would feel differently if their spouses, parents or children were victimized by the vermin loose in our society.

One neat feature about that website is that it allows searching executions, which I did. I noticed for that year 2009, there were 52 executions in the US, and the Great State of Texas dutifully performed a full 24 or nearly 1/2 of all the executions in the US. I for one don't understand why we as citizens allow these wastes of flesh to continue living one day past their trial conviction date. I wonder if the cost per execution was lowered to the cost of a $0.30 bullet to the back of the head if there wouldn't be more state executions. Instead the lawyers drag the trial on for years and then years and years of appeals, all the while the scabs on society live off the host, us.

We should also notice the "victims" column for each convict. Many convicts have taken more than one life against their free will, and affected the lives of dozens of others negatively - FOREVER.

Nope, no mercy for convicts from me.
    Whitestone Castle Armory, Austin TX
    http://www.wcarmory.com/
    Stuff For Sale http://forsale.wcptexas.com

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    If the State requires a doctor to be present, find someone with a PhD in TERMINAL BALLISTICS and "Git R Done".
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Just a quick thought - is a return to the old west where accused was judged equivalent to guilty and by sundown resulted in death? That kind of military justice, while arguably quicker and cheaper that what goes on in our country today, makes me think of the kind of environment and mentality that enabled the salem witch trials to take place.

I'm not saying that all the controls that have been put in place since then are necessarily the best, most efficient, most cost-effective, most deterring options around. I'm just saying that controls were put in place for reasons that are not trivial.

Just a thought.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by merischino View Post
    Just a quick thought - is a return to the old west where accused was judged equivalent to guilty and by sundown resulted in death? That kind of military justice, while arguably quicker and cheaper that what goes on in our country today, makes me think of the kind of environment and mentality that enabled the salem witch trials to take place.

I'm not saying that all the controls that have been put in place since then are necessarily the best, most efficient, most cost-effective, most deterring options around. I'm just saying that controls were put in place for reasons that are not trivial.

Just a thought.
    That way we can put to death even more innocent men.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    This guy was on death row for 28 years?!? After killing 3 people in his lifetime? What a sad joke our system has become.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links