How late is to late to get into law enforcment

This is a discussion on How late is to late to get into law enforcment within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here is my situation, i am 36 years old i have been with the state highway dept. for 15 years. Wanted to be police officer ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Here is my situation, i am 36 years old i have been with the state highway dept. for 15 years. Wanted to be police officer back in 94 before i got married problem was that my wifes father was a cop and she was DEAD set against it. Its got to the point at my job that i feel like i am stuck, with furloughs and promotions froze, my morale is at an all time low. I have no job satisfaction things have changed so much. Back in 04 at the G8 summitt i was picked to be a driver for the week for a IRT team consisting of 2 pardon and parole officers 3 state troopers and 3 GBI agents and we got some action with some protesters and it lit a fire but then i had a couple of minor surgeries and two girls who i coached in softball. now with girls a little over and shift work not looking so bad and my wife more accepting i am thinking about taking the plunge into law enforcement. with 15 years till retirement, i definitely would like a state agency so that i would not lose my time. however i am about to the point where i would give it up for a county or city positions......any advice would be appreciated..
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

Senior Moderator
    I started at age 40.

Been doing it 10 years.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I started at age 40.

Been doing it 10 years.

Do you enjoy it. any regrets from leaving your old job. or was it Military, as i have no formal training but lots of informal training.....thanks.
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

i was wondering the same thing, myself. i'm 37, and i've wanted to go to the academy for years, but family obligations kept me from doing it. now that i'm single again, and between jobs, i'm in a position where i can do this, but i keep thinking i'm too old.

I've seen people go through the academy at like 45. I am currently 32 years old and am going to school for criminal justice in hopes of becoming an officer.So hopefully they take ya for a while.lol
    When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member
    I'm 38 and just started looking to get into a volunteer of part time position.

Senior Moderator
    I didn't leave my old job. To do so would be a drastic pay cut.
    I started out as a Reserve Deputy. Now I work as a part time Deputy Marshal for a small town. The money from that goes straight into my "gun fund".

I love it. It's like having front seat tickets to a circus.

I wouldnt quit one job to take another. Start easy and make sure that you like it before you make a permanent switch. Its not for everyone.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    There were several people in their late thirties in my academy class, and 2 in their forties. It's not too late.

Best of luck if you do decide to do it, it's a commitment.

As Hotguns said, it's not for everyone. We had 3 quit after the first day of scenario training.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

No experience from me but if you want it and you have the drive GO GET IT!!!
    So If Guns Kill People Do Pencils Miss Spell Words???

First ask yourself why. Being a cop isn't the best job out there. I have worked in at my current field for 20 years. Its not a cop but I don't get shot at either.
    Also police don't get the respect, or pay they deserve. They constantly walk around with a target on them (criminally and civilly)
    Being in LE is something you must LOVE and must be in for all the right reasons.
    Many getting into LE do it for all the wrong reasons.
    make sure you listen to your heart on this decision and best of luck.
    Regarding age, I would not wait much longer.
    Being a cop can be a physical job at time, and I know that after I turned 40 I dont heal as quickly as I used to, Im not as fast either.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    First ask yourself why. Being a cop isn't the best job out there. I have worked in at my current field for 20 years. Its not a cop but I don't get shot at either.
    Also police don't get the respect, or pay they deserve. They constantly walk around with a target on them (criminally and civilly)
    Being in LE is something you must LOVE and must be in for all the right reasons.
    Many getting into LE do it for all the wrong reasons.
    make sure you listen to your heart on this decision and best of luck.
    Regarding age, I would not wait much longer.
    Being a cop can be a physical job at time, and I know that after I turned 40 I dont heal as quickly as I used to, Im not as fast either.
    Good comments. A question to ask yourself, is after a horrific day of dealing with negligent/abusive parents, being threatened constantly with law suits, constantly being in a position where you must defend your actions, and sitting in court listening to people lie - can you shrug it off at the end of the day and spend a peaceful evening at home?

I'm very grateful to those that can and do.

I am 31 now, went through the academy 4 years ago. When I was there we had 2 gentelmen that were around 40. One did ok because he was in good physical condition, the other not so good. You need the desire and drive to want to be a police officer and your body and mind need to be in shape to help you achieve that. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Administrator
    No, its not to late at all. We hired a guy last year a 36, and he was a good hire.

You already work for the state, so depending on the retirement system down there, you probably would not loose your time in at all no matter if you are county, city or state.
    I will caution you here; a lot of people are trying to jump on the LE bandwagon lately due to the economy. The job market is very tough. Tread lightly and with caution.
    What area in Ga are you?
    "Just blame Sixto"

A real good friend of mine (37) decided to sign up after he was laid off last year. The pay cut was MASSIVE but he enjoys what he does. His wife was all for it but now wishes she'd never agreed. He works 50-60hrs a week plus he takes side security details for extra money. He is never home and has missed every school function, ball game and had to cancel his family vacations for the year.

He still loves it but life at home is very ugly right now. I think the big problem is that he is going through what all rookies go through but they are usually single and 21 at the time.

Many people get into law enforcement after they retire from the military, late 30s and early 40s. Do you know what the physical requirements for the academy you would attend? Can you pass them?
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links