Applying for Deputy position, Any advice?

This is a discussion on Applying for Deputy position, Any advice? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The Sheriffs dept here in the county I live is taking applications for Deputy positions. All applicants will take a general written test, and then ...

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar

The Sheriffs dept here in the county I live is taking applications for Deputy positions. All applicants will take a general written test, and then the top number of scores will go onto the Physical Agilities test. After that will come the first interviews and the rest of the screening process. I have been through a similar process with the neighboring county's fire department several years ago. The second time there, I made it onto the waiting list, but a new production plant took priority and the county waited to hire new recruits. The only criteria the county is putting on applicants is 21 years of age and High School Diploma. It’s a small county “population wise” so I don’t think they will be as stringent as some of the neighboring counties and cities that never even called me back in the past.

Any advice for someone who does not have any Military experience or a degree in Criminal Justice. I have lived in the county for over 8 years, and this is the same office that issued my CCW. I'm not expecting preference from the last two, but I don't think it hurts. But realitivly speaking, I'm still thinking it's a long shot.

The county has only a Sheriffs office, Not the Police dept like a lot of counties, so the positions being filled will cover all aspects of LE, they handle the Court duties, to street patrols, to switchboard and Etc.

This is probably premature, but I do have to fill out the application here in the next day or two. Will things like haven been First Aid and Adult CPR certified and haven been a member of the Safety Team at the Production Plant I worked at help. What other types of things would the "Panel" look favorably upon?

Any advice is well appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

If I do get hired, Yall better drive safetly through "MY" county, I'll be watching.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Well the first thing i looked at after qualifications ( and sometimes before ) when i was delegated to hire deputys is attitude , I looked for personell that saw it as public service work , ie.. interested in bettering the community with proactive practices ( community involvement rather than meerely working the shift ) LE is more a lifestyle than a job and is not for everyone . Good officers go the extra mile for the people they protect and serve . Yes this does include getting the dammed cat out of the tree or the snake out of the panel ray heater lol . Realise that your average citizen will call the cops for any and all issues You howeaver have to respond helpfully and professionaly even if its " grandma goodcookies " needing help to find her falsies ( and we hope that means teeth boys lol ) .

If you go into the interview process with the above points in mind you will have a good chance of being selected for a small dept. which has all the needs of a large dept as far as training and ability goes but additional burdons on officers of community relations with small community folks . The guy you pick up on a dui friday night may well set next to you in church on sunday so deal with folks fairly, honestly, and as kindly as they will allow you to .
    hope that helps ya
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Couple items come to mind..

1) Since the cost of training (school and salary) you will be in the plus $30k range- dont tell them you want to use this as a stepping stone to a bigger and better job.

2) Dont go in with the 'im a bad *****', just give me a gun so I can shoot someone attitude. I would probably not even mention any gun training you have taken unless they ask. Not that it is a negative, but they would probably prefer to train you in their methods versus having to 'retrain' you.

3) Look over the job posting very closely - For each item listed in the job ad as a qualification try to learn as much as possible about it.. It is impressive to have someone that has taken the time to learn as much as they can about the position and its requirements, especially when you dont have that experience.

4) I would list any relative experiences (such as the first aid, cpr etc) that you have. As mentioned above, they are probably looking for a good all around joe, versus a 'mall ninja' (stealing that phrase from a forum) type. LOL

good luck

Brian

PS - Dont wear the "kill them all, let god sort them out" t-shirt. LOL

Thanks guys,

All sounds like good advice to me. I'm not going to get my hopes up yet, but we'll see how it shakes out.

Thanks again.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]

Just a hint ... pics of the shift commander having immoral relations with a goat (photoshopped may be acceptable if he really looks guilty ) help smooth the whole selection / hireing/ training process
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

I started out in LE 32 years ago with a small SO and ultimately became "the guy that did the interviews/backgrounds/recommendations, etc." so I'll try to add what I can.

The items mentioned by thatguy and Redneck Repairs (except maybe for the goat ) are important and relevant.

1- have a neat appearance for all of your contacts during the process. Coat and tie when appropriate. If hired you will be wearing a uniform that represents the Sheriif to the community. They want to see if neatness is a trait you already possess. Observe some of the current Deputies' hairstyles. Get a haircut that is the same as what most of them are wearing.

2- Be polite. "yes, sir; no, sir, etc. will serve you well now and in the future.

3- Be truthful. Falsehoods of any sort don't go over well at all.

4- Be humble. And modest. Nobody is looking for a braggart for cop.

5 - Your prior work/attendance records, school records and your community standing are going to be closely scrutinized. Like thatguy said above, they are probably looking for a "good all around joe". One of the best Deputies I ever hired had a GED, a sterling work record with VDOT and was highly thought of in the community as being a nice, hard working young man.

6 - Take any position offered (if financially feasible). If you are asked to start out in courts/civil process (or in in the jail if they have one) jump on it, even if your interest lies in patrol.

7 - Check your PM for a personal contact.

8 - GOOD LUCK!
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    All of the above advice is good (except maybe the goat pics).

Be very honest in everything that you fill out or in your answers to any questions.

PLEASE give references that really know you and that can speak to your personal character!! Also, let your references know that they will be contacted (employment and personal). When I did backgrounds it always said something about somewhen when I called the reference and the reference really didn't know the person well. Some people will put down people as references simply because they think the person will be impressed by name or position to the investigator. I did a background recently where a guy put down the father's of several of his ex-girlfriends due to the fathers being cops. Only one of them really knew the guy.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Senior Moderator
    A few "tidbits" in the event that you do make it...

The single thing that will keep you out of trouble and earn respect from your peers, citizens and even the badguys alike is to heed the "Golden Rule".

It simply means to treat others as you would like to be treated.

Take a second to imagine yourself in the postition of the other person...whether it be a simple traffic stop, an interview or an auto accident with injury. Be firm, polite, and even if you dont give a rats azz about someones problems, ACT like you care.

LISTEN to what people say and learn to read their body language. Know when to be "heavy handed" and know when to use a light touch. Know when to speak and when not to speak...and learn that sometimes saying nothing at all speaks volumes.

Dont ASSUME anything. Sometimes things are not so obvious and the truth may be stranger than fiction itself. Respect everyone, even the badguy that you had to bodyslam and cuff while kneeling on his neck.

Know when to fight and when to retreat. Know your limitations, and the limitations of those you are working with. If you are in a fight and you arent cheating to do whatever it takes to win, then you arent trying hard enough.

With every contact that you make, EXPECT them to try to kill you for no reason...so that you wont be completley taken by suprise when the bold one tries to do just that.

Treat people like you will know them forever...because sometimes fate makes it happen that way.

If you cant remember how to act, just remember the Golden Rule. Treat everyone with respect and everything else will take care of itself.

And last but not least...

DONT lie on your application and dont embelish your background. These things can be found out and can haunt you.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    Along the lines of HotGuns post,

The sooner you learn that you can control people easier by backing off and calming down yourself rather than trying to dominate a situation you will be much better off. I learned that one the HARD way.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

All is good advice to follow. I work in law enforcement and the one thing to remember is to tell the truth no matter how much it hurts. The truth will come out anyway so choose that path from the start. Do the job because you love it not because it pays good or you get to carry a gun. Lead by example in all things. Good Luck and let us know how this works out for you.
    Philip L. McCleary
    Security via CCW
    and a lot of practice
    Dispatchers have the best jobs
    we tell the police where to go and they have
    to do it. Policy manual says so.

de N4LNE

Wow,

Thanks everyone for the great tips. I'll take all the help I can get, and it all sounds like good solid advice to me. Hopefully it will all pay off.

Thanks again for everything.

I'll save the "Goat" for a last resort though.

so that would kinda make it a B.U.G. ( back up goat ) then wouldnt it LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs
    so that would kinda make it a B.U.G. ( back up goat ) then wouldnt it LOL
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Wouldnt it be great if our politicians would always tell the truth, the first time and before the indictment... hehe

Quote Originally Posted by mcclearypl
    All is good advice to follow. I work in law enforcement and the one thing to remember is to tell the truth no matter how much it hurts. The truth will come out anyway so choose that path from the start. Do the job because you love it not because it pays good or you get to carry a gun. Lead by example in all things. Good Luck and let us know how this works out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy
    Wouldnt it be great if our politicians would always tell the truth, the first time and before the indictment... hehe

Well thatguy, that depends on your definition of what "is" the truth,

I agree with you all the way, it would be nice.

Links