Flying with a gun this week - Page 2

Flying with a gun this week

This is a discussion on Flying with a gun this week within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Thanks for the info Gasmitty...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flying with a gun this week

Thanks for the info Gasmitty

GM
    Good luck Mike; hopefully you will not have to deal with any pin head.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Shouldn't be much of an issue. When I flew out to Vegas for SHOT show this year I had a 1911, an AK47 machine pistol, and an M16 machine gun as well as silencers for all three of them with pistol ammo in the case. Nothing major to report. Showed all weapons were clear, locked the case, done deal. TSA did pull me aside when we were lining up for boarding to check my carryon bag. Saw the holster, asked about it, told him I had a 1911 in checked baggage I was going to carry while in NV with my MI permit. Said OK, zipped the bag up, said he hated to bother me but it's his job. No problem. Flew out of Milwaukee and they had a scare shortly before that so everyone was extra cautious.

Then while arriving at the Vegas airport, I got my gun case out of the Southwest office (they bring it in so you get "express lane" baggage claim), LV Metro plainclothes stopped me to check my ID and papers. They wanted to double check that I was who I was and matched up with the weapons. Asked if I had checked the inventory and I said I had not as I didn't want to cause a scene in the airport. She said that would have been fine to check it in the Southwest office but thanked me for my consideration. She watched over me while I put my papers back so I wouldn't get mugged. Said they'd be watching me with cameras to make sure nothing happens to me (I had to wait a couple hours for my business associate to arrive from Fresno). Said to check the case as soon as I got to the hotel and call her if anything is wrong. Gave me her card, welcomed me to Vegas, bid farewell. No one ever batted an eye. Professionalism through and through.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

How I Take a Pistole

Having traveled a number of times, here's how I go at it:

1. Review TSA: Traveling with Special Items to understand TSA policies and procedures. Have a copy with you when you reach the airport.
    2. Put the unloaded weapon(s) in a lockable hard-sided case with locks only you have the keys/combination to open. TSA locks are not allowed.
    3. Steps that will make it easier to show that the weapon is unloaded - especially when x-rayed.
      • If the weapon is a:
        • semi-automatic
          • lock the slide open
          • put a cable tie through the barrel and out the breach to show that the chamber is empty
        • revolver, flip the cylinder out
      • Do not put the magazines in this locked case with the gun(s):
        • it invites questions about them being loaded
        • if the gun case is "liberated" from the checked bag by a Criminal Entrepreneur, the lack of magazines frustrates the "Liberator", since the weapon is now initially a single shot one
    4. Check the airline(s) you are flying on:
      • To determine if the ammo
        • MUST be in boxes (plastic reload boxes work)
        • can fly in loaded magazines
      • If loaded magazines are permitted, make sure the pouches fully cover the magazine top where the cartridges are visable.
      • The round(s) from the chamber(s)/cylinder(s) must be in a box, not loose
    5. Secure and protect magazines (separately from the weapon) and ammunition boxes from possible damage.
    6. Put the lockable hard-sided case with the weapon and the ammo/magazines into a cheap, non-descript bag - with clear labeling outside and inside - for checking in.
      • If possible, develop a way to attach - in a lockable way - the hard-sided case to the piece of luggage it has been placed into.
      • The labeling should be limited to:
        • Your Name
        • Your Cell Phone - if you have one, or your home phone if you do not
        • Your personal email address - if you have one
        • NO ADDRESSES, JOB TITLES, ORGANIZATIONS SHOULD BE INDICATED
    7. Other stuff - like shampoo, mouthwash, toothpaste, etc, could be in this checked bag also.
    8. Have the rules for the airline in hand when you check this non-descript bag at the airport.
    9. Make sure you have the keys/combinations to the lockable hard-sided case with you and you alone (Per Federal Regulations 49CFR 1540.111 Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals - Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:) at all times. You will have to open the lockable hard-side case:
      • to demonstrate to the airline that the weapon(s) are not loaded at check in (a signed form/tag indicating that will go in with the weapon(s))
      • if the TSA wants to see
    10. 10.Have the serial number(s) and descriptions of your weapons on you, so if they "disappear" you can report the loss/theft immediately to the:
      • airline
      • FAA Regional Office
      • ATF Regional Office

Other things to consider:

1. Check Handgunlaw.us and/or Pack-N-Go Carry Concealed Trip Planner to determine:
      • If you can possess the weapon at all your stops
      • Where and how you can carry at all your stops
      • What are the deadly force rules in each state you are visiting
    2. Have a copy of the Don Young Transportation Letter on hand - http://www.anjrpc.org/DefendingYourR...s%20letter.pdf. This covers changing modes of travel - car to plane to car - in a single journey.
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

In response to posts #12 and 15 regarding carrying loaded mags in the same case as the gun, but not loaded in the mag well of the gun, please note the following (underlining is mine) as taken from the TSA website:

TSA: Traveling with Special Items

# You must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging that is specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
    # You can't use firearm magazines/clips for packing ammunition unless they completely and securely enclose the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard).
    # You may carry the ammunition in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as you pack it as described above.

I routinely pack the gun in the case, cable-locked as I described above, along with a factory box or two of ammo and two loaded magazines inserted into magazine holders that will go onto my belt when I get to my destination. If you are unsure, you could just take along an empty ammo box in the case so if you had to unload the mags you could put the bullets in the empty box. YMMV but I have never had a problem with this setup.

VIP Member
    good luck with the new job and house

as for flying with a gun.....I've done it several times, just did it last weekend flying to Houston via Dallas, G30 in holster, slide locked back, 2 13 round G21 mags loaded in a mag pouch, 10 round mag loaded in a single mag pouch, my badge, knife....all in the lockable case
    absolutely no problems
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    My experience has been positive for the most part. On several occasions the airline personal advised me that the card needed to be on the inside of the locked safe (COM) I carry my firearms in. I had the time, so I identified myself as a CCW instructor and showed them the regulations about where the card should be.

I carry my magazines loaded in the same safe. No issues. Had lots of good conversations with the TSA agents that inspected my luggage. Even got a lead on potential students from the Seattle guy. I live in NE Ohio.

Never had my bag uniquely identified that I was aware of. Just picked my bag up off the luggage conveyor at the destination airports. Never been to Vegas.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

VIP Member
    yeah, I've had different experiences with the card inside or outside the lock box
    last weekend when I left home they had me place it inside my lock case and lock the case
    when leaving Houston they taped the card to the outside of the locked case

previously I've had the airline folks tell me to leave it unlocked and they personally walked my entire bag down to the TSA screeners and they looked at everything & locked the case, I stood by and watched the whole process
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

The orange or pink or whatever color card they are using for you to sign certifying that the firearm is unloaded must always go inside the case with the gun. It should never be placed outside where it gives away what is being carried inside. I believe there is a reg for it, just don't have the cite handy.

Also flown a few times with handguns, including into and through Vegas and never had my baggage separated from the others.... Went on conveyor just like all the others. Maybe they took extra precautions with the above one because of the "evil" AK pistol.

So Mike, how'd it go? What is your travel report?
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by gmark340 View Post
    The orange or pink or whatever color card they are using for you to sign certifying that the firearm is unloaded must always go inside the case with the gun. It should never be placed outside where it gives away what is being carried inside. I believe there is a reg for it, just don't have the cite handy.
    I'm afraid there is confusion here. Let's see if we can clear it up.

First, there is your luggage. It contains all your cloths, toiletries and whatever else you need plus it has a case which contains the firearm. In my case it is a Secure-It handgun storage safe. The storage safe has a lock and only I have the key.

Now... The tag is supposed to go inside your luggage, but outside the case (storage safe). In this way, should the TSA be required to open your luggage while in transit, they will see your certification and understand there is a firearm inside. If they need to see inside the gun case, you will be contacted. This will usually not be necessary as they are likely to have inspected it when you checked your baggage before you locked the gun case and retained the key.

There are some other subtleties, but the confusion of where the certification tag goes is widespread especially among airline personnel who provide you with the tag and give you the instructions of where to place it. When I have the time, I usually make this a teachable moment by identifying myself as a CCW instructor and providing them with a copy of the TSA rules. Traveling with Special Items.
    Howard

If you are checking a hard case that contains only the firearm and ammunition, the card goes in the case with the gun. I have never checked luggage with the hard case inside the luggage so I can't speak to that. I always carry-on my other luggage and just check my firearm. I have had instances, especially at smaller airports, in which the cases containing firearms are pulled before they get to the luggage carousel and held at the baggage office, presumable so someone else doesn't walk off with them. Again, never had a problem, knock wood.

Quote Originally Posted by gmark340 View Post
    If you are checking a hard case that contains only the firearm and ammunition, the card goes in the case with the gun. I have never checked luggage with the hard case inside the luggage so I can't speak to that. I always carry-on my other luggage and just check my firearm. I have had instances, especially at smaller airports, in which the cases containing firearms are pulled before they get to the luggage carousel and held at the baggage office, presumable so someone else doesn't walk off with them. Again, never had a problem, knock wood.
    I'm curious. Unless you are checking a rifle, why would you not put the firearm safe inside your luggage? I teach a CCW course module on travel with firearms and the situation of checking a firearm in its own case unless it was a rifle has never come up. Most of us concerned with concealed carry are focused on traveling with our concealed carry weapons.
    Howard

In my case, I typically don't carry much luggage. I may carry one bag containing clothes and gear, such as holsters, muffs, etc., and that bag is full. I have an aluminum hard case that will hold several pistols and ammunition, as well as odds and ends, such as a baton, that I use to check all prohibited items, which is what I do.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links