Becoming a LEO - Page 2

Becoming a LEO

This is a discussion on Becoming a LEO within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by jwhite75 If you are willing to move....have a spotless(squeaky clean) able to be looked at under a microscope record, and excellent credit ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Becoming a LEO

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    If you are willing to move....have a spotless(squeaky clean) able to be looked at under a microscope record, and excellent credit (pay your bills). Go Federal. Trust me. It is the way to go with a full retirement at 20 years, regardless of age, just like the military. Plus they specialize so you can choose what you wanna help with the most.

I meet all these requirements. So Where Would I Even Start To Look For Requirements??? Go and do the ride alongs and then just ask the officers and others around about it?

I Appreciate Everyones Input on this as it has been plaguing my brain. All the jobs i have had the one i have now is my favorite but i think getting into LE could make me happy.
    So If Guns Kill People Do Pencils Miss Spell Words???

Quote Originally Posted by kbox View Post
    It is a good career. I 've got 16 years in. You will not get rich from it, but most LEO I know make a pretty good living. Don't know your family situation, but be prepared to miss family functions, kids ballgames, etc. Someone mentioned a ride along or becoming a reserve officer. It is a good place to start and see if you like it. You probable already know that it is not always like you see on the reality shows. In fact most of the time it is pretty boring. Don't know what the requirements are for where you live, but Alabama requires at least 12 weeks of academy.
    Where in Alabama do you work?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mitocondriac View Post
    Ok so the last couple months, dont know where it came from, but i have been seriously contemplating LE. Do any of you have an opinion on why it would be good or bad. I am 26 and in good health and think I could help make a difference in my community. I dont know just a thought in my mind.
    It is a job with responsibilities that must be respected.

Go for it if you have the stamina and capability.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

VIP Member
    since you're in Dallas, check with Dallas PD or Dallas county, see if they have academies coming up, check requirements, testing, etc, get on a ride-along

here ya go for Dallas PD:
    Dallas Police Department
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I am a police chaplain and I agree with the pros and cons mentioned about police work. It can be hard on a marriage and family. However, if you do your part to maintain a balanced life--mentally, physically, and spiritually, you will be fine. If you get into it and don't like the person you become or if your marriage suffers, you can quit. I think it is better to try than to always wonder about what might have been.

I read that Texas DPS is looking to hire a couple hundred troopers
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

okay, more two cents -

as stated, a start in military is preferred normally, as there tends to be a lot of drive, high standards and morals, better use of time management, discipline, pride in appearance, etc. i agree that a lot of ex-military MPs tend to know everything - just ask them - but in all you do, it is better to remain silent and learn, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt about being a fool.

that being said, let me also say this - in all you do in a uniform of any color and service, you are a pillar to your community. people look to you to make the right call. they may hate you at first. they may despise you. they may ridicule you. but then, they will need you, and when you show up, compentant and fair, the symbiotic relationship will begin. ignore those who say you will not make a difference. if you help only ONE person over the course of your career, and this will likely be accomplished quickly, it will be remembered. above all, you are enforcing and protecting your own rights when you put on that uniform, so it must always be remembered that you should NEVER think you are the law - merely a representative of it. you are held to a higher standard, and are never above that which you enforce.

ours is an honorable profession, and when SHTF, you are the go-to guy. but i will also say this - the LE career field should not normally be your first job or career, as the enormous amounts of BS you deal with will wear you down quickly without knowing how to deal with difficult situations. DO NOT WATCH "COPS," and think "i can do that." this is not a glamorous profession, and often times you are figuritively covered in the same sh*t you are trying to avoid. it is necessary in every sense of the word.

where i am, in georgia, the sheriff is mandated in our constitution, with deputies. all police agencies here are set up by county and city ordinance, but there is required by law to be a sheriff's office with trained deputies in each county. and while feds are glamorous and sexy and all of that, it is local agencies who do the grunt work and get the job done. it is hard on family life - long hours, and things you don't bring home but trouble you anyway. have a hobby. have two, have twelve. leave work at work and home at home as much as possible. but whatever you decide, give it 100% and good luck!
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined" ~Patrick Henry

I was an AP (USAF) then it changed to SP (Security Police) when I was discharged in May of 69 I tested for the Delaware State Police and made it. My recruit class started in November 69. I was the smallest Trooper in the State for about 4 years, then they hired another smaller ex-Military Police Officer. Years later they hired our first female Trooper and the size restrictions went right out the window. We had and still have a lot of ex-Military members on the Delaware State Police.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotWarrior View Post
    as stated, a start in military is preferred normally, as there tends to be a lot of drive, high standards and morals, better use of time management, discipline, pride in appearance, etc. i agree that a lot of ex-military MPs tend to know everything - just ask them - but in all you do, it is better to remain silent and learn, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt about being a fool.

that being said, let me also say this - in all you do in a uniform of any color and service, you are a pillar to your community. people look to you to make the right call. they may hate you at first. they may despise you. they may ridicule you. but then, they will need you, and when you show up, compentant and fair, the symbiotic relationship will begin. ignore those who say you will not make a difference. if you help only ONE person over the course of your career, and this will likely be accomplished quickly, it will be remembered. above all, you are enforcing and protecting your own rights when you put on that uniform, so it must always be remembered that you should NEVER think you are the law - merely a representative of it. you are held to a higher standard, and are never above that which you enforce.

ours is an honorable profession, and when SHTF, you are the go-to guy. but i will also say this - the LE career field should not normally be your first job or career, as the enormous amounts of BS you deal with will wear you down quickly without knowing how to deal with difficult situations. DO NOT WATCH "COPS," and think "i can do that." this is not a glamorous profession, and often times you are figuritively covered in the same sh*t you are trying to avoid. it is necessary in every sense of the word.

where i am, in georgia, the sheriff is mandated in our constitution, with deputies. all police agencies here are set up by county and city ordinance, but there is required by law to be a sheriff's office with trained deputies in each county. and while feds are glamorous and sexy and all of that, it is local agencies who do the grunt work and get the job done. it is hard on family life - long hours, and things you don't bring home but trouble you anyway. have a hobby. have two, have twelve. leave work at work and home at home as much as possible. but whatever you decide, give it 100% and good luck!
    good add-on bro...especially the part about thinking you are the law vs a representative of the law
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by mitocondriac View Post
    Ok so the last couple months, dont know where it came from, but i have been seriously contemplating LE. Do any of you have an opinion on why it would be good or bad. I am 26 and in good health and think I could help make a difference in my community. I dont know just a thought in my mind.
    I say at your age if it's what you really want, go for it with every thing you have. Good luck to you!
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Ive tried it several times and the experience left a bad taste in my mouth.

During the physical fitness test I beat everybody. OK there.

The preliminary interview went great and I went on to psychological test and polygraph. Both those went great too. Board interview was OK. I know I could have done better but what the heck it wasnt the end of the world.

I was turned down for the job.

Here is where it gets real intresting. They had 3 positions to fill and only filled one of them. There were no budget constraints either because they had another round of applicants the next month of which I was also part of. Same thing all the way around. I was passed over again. ANd again they only hired one person even though they were looking to fill 2 spots.

I have a Bachelors in Criminal Justice and prior military. I have done an internship with the State Police. My sister, brother, uncle, and brother in law are all State Police Troopers. I know how things work

This cycle continued at 3 different departments until I finally got sick of taking the physical fitness tests and gave up trying to be in LE.

My advice: It is a good experience at least to try but dont be surprised when you get either turned down or they just drag their feet with you.

I say give it a shot. Good luck!!!!
    IAFF 2623
    Everyone comes home!

Whats wrong with being a Federal Agent? they make more money and have more firepower, and better equipment
    Bushmaster XM15 E2S Shorty
    Walther P99 .40 S&W
    Romanian WASR GP 10/63
    Remington model 700 30-06
    Savage Model 62 .22lr
    Glock 19 gen 3 TALO

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Is there a possibility for me, a Brazilian Police Officer, to become a LEO in USA? I'm SERIOUSLY thinking about move to USA. Could someone give some directions or liks so i can read about it?
    I think your main problem would be not being a US Citizen (assuming you don't hold dual citizenship). Best bet would be to enlist in the US Armed Forces for 3-4 years, fast track your US citicenship through the war time service initiative if is still active, separate from the military/LATMOVE(switch jobs while still in the military) into LE. The trick is to become a legal resident before enlisting. You could try a student visa and see if you coud enlist with a waiver (try with recruiting stations not meeting recruiting cuota first), change your student to permanent resident then enlist, or just ride out the 3-5 year residency requirement before applying for US citizenship, then go into LE.

Contact you local US Consulate for more info.
    I can no longer keep track of threads as I used to. If you need to contact me, PM me instead of asking me something in the thread. Disclaimer - No legal advice issued anywhere. Take care.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 9mmPro View Post
    Whats wrong with being a Federal Agent? they make more money and have more firepower, and better equipment
    Only on TV do they.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links