Becoming a LEO

This is a discussion on Becoming a LEO within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok so the last couple months, dont know where it came from, but i have been seriously contemplating LE. Do any of you have an ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Becoming a LEO

Becoming a LEO

Ok so the last couple months, dont know where it came from, but i have been seriously contemplating LE. Do any of you have an opinion on why it would be good or bad. I am 26 and in good health and think I could help make a difference in my community. I dont know just a thought in my mind.
    So If Guns Kill People Do Pencils Miss Spell Words???

2. Remove Ads

Mic
    Theres nothing wrong with wanting to get into LE. However it's not as easy as you think, it used to be a kid grew up wanting to be a cop or fire man and went down to the local PD/FD and joined. Not now, budget restraints and cutbacks got everyone over a barrel, I work with 3 young guy that have been trying to get hired on with LE for 5 years in the Tacoma area and still trying.

If your serious, check with your state Police or highway patrol, they tend to have more money and hire more candidates, then after a few years you can try and transfer to a PD or sheriffs department. Good luck
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

I'd give it a go. It can be a great career path for you and gives you a chance to help a lot of people. I think it's a respectable and honorable position within a community. Of course I wore a military uniform myself for quite awhile and I have a ton of respect for those who put their lives on the line. Heck, I'm even contiplating becoming a deputy myself even though I'm later on in years.

Check out the different LE opportunities you have in your state. I'd recommend getting with these organizations and see if they have ride along programs or something similar to get you inside and able to talk to people to see if you'd really be interested. Our office does this all the time. It's very open to the public and to those who are interested in LE careers.

Good luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by mitocondriac View Post
    Ok so the last couple months, dont know where it came from, but i have been seriously contemplating LE. Do any of you have an opinion on why it would be good or bad. I am 26 and in good health and think I could help make a difference in my community. I dont know just a thought in my mind.

Another route is to join the military and go in under a guaranteed job in law enforcement and then do your time, when you get out it can lead to a career path in the civilian sector. I recommend the USAF.

Mic
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Another route is to join the military and go in under a guaranteed job in law enforcement and then do your time, when you get out it can lead to a career path in the civilian sector. I recommend the USAF.
    Totally wrong! most LE organizations don't want former MP's or AF security force types. The military does not teach law enforcement, they teach the bare minimum of techniques, military procedures, and Battle field missions. So a LE org gets a old MP who knows nothing but "thinks" he knows it all be cause "I was a MP for 6 years" this is just like trying to teach a old dog new tricks, it can be done, but what a pain, they would rather get a civilian off the street with no idea of LE and let the academy train him right.
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

It is a good career. I 've got 16 years in. You will not get rich from it, but most LEO I know make a pretty good living. Don't know your family situation, but be prepared to miss family functions, kids ballgames, etc. Someone mentioned a ride along or becoming a reserve officer. It is a good place to start and see if you like it. You probable already know that it is not always like you see on the reality shows. In fact most of the time it is pretty boring. Don't know what the requirements are for where you live, but Alabama requires at least 12 weeks of academy.

Quote Originally Posted by mitocondriac View Post
    and think I could help make a difference in my community. I dont know just a thought in my mind.
    Please don't take my following comment with a negative tone, but you will not make a difference in your community. You will serve your community as directed per the statues outlined by the police department. You will become frustrated rather quickly and feel internal pressure from the brass. If it's just a thought in your mind (your words) I'd suggest you research the field of police work. And please don't judge it by the television shows. Chases do happen, tossing suspects in the cruiser do happen, but it's the behind the scene "happenings" that can make or break a new officer's career. Police work today is not easy, nor is it safe. A police career involves everyone in your family. If your wife is not onboard with your decision, it has the potential for disaster. The strange shift hours, days off, work assignments, working partners (females). I've seen the good and bad the job entails and unfortunately more bad than good. But, that's just been my experience. If you are one who is not faint of heart, brave, honest and caring, then chase the dream. If in doubt, bailout! Just my opinion of course.
    May we never forget those in uniform who protect us night and day in lands far away. And those in all wars who paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. May God Bless our Troops and First Responders.

Totally wrong! most LE organizations don't want former MP's or AF security force types. The military dose not teach law enforcement, they teach the bare minimum of techniques, military procedures, and Battle field missions. So a LE org gets a old MP who knows nothing but "thinks" he knows it all be cause "I was a MP for 6 years" this is just like trying to teach a old dog new tricks, it can be done, but what a pain, they would rather get a civilian off the street with no idea of LE and let the academy train him right.
    WHAT?????

Mic, I don't understand your comment what so ever. 80% of my Office is prior military and most of them were'nt even prior military cops. LE agencies love hiring ex military, whether you were an SP/MP or just a regular person who served in the military. What LE agencies like most with ex-military is the discipline, motivation and intitiative that vets bring with them. Regardless of your background in the military, you'll still need to attend a training academy that will teach you everything that department want's you to know.

Mitocondriac, the military is another great option for you as well and I to recommend the USAF. Of course I'm biased after doing 22 years in the USAF. Something to consider as well.

Do it while you are young! Go for it or you will always wish you had, terrible disease you got! LOL

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jacket View Post
    Please don't take my following comment with a negative tone, but you will not make a difference in your community.

I respectfully disagree with Blue Jacket on this point. I do believe you can make a difference in your community and I believe I have done so in the communities where I have worked.
    Just my exprience and opinion,
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

If you are willing to move....have a spotless(squeaky clean) able to be looked at under a microscope record, and excellent credit (pay your bills). Go Federal. Trust me. It is the way to go with a full retirement at 20 years, regardless of age, just like the military. Plus they specialize so you can choose what you wanna help with the most.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

There are far worse fates available than pursuing an interest in law enforcement. As it happens, I wouldn't do anything else, given the chance. Good luck to you.
    God, country, family.

Quote Originally Posted by Mic View Post
    Totally wrong! most LE organizations don't want former MP's or AF security force types. The military dose not teach law enforcement, they teach the bare minimum of techniques, military procedures, and Battle field missions. So a LE org gets a old MP who knows nothing but "thinks" he knows it all be cause "I was a MP for 6 years" this is just like trying to teach a old dog new tricks, it can be done, but what a pain, they would rather get a civilian off the street with no idea of LE and let the academy train him right.
    You couldn't be further from the truth.

mkh
    I thought about going the reserve route as I'm 53. Need to get state certified and that requires 720 hours at the academy for law enforcement training. Then the county has a hiring freeze so no guarantee of getting on.

As a consultant it would cost me $50K in lost revenue just to get through the training . Can't afford to take the risk of not getting hired.

Is there a possibility for me, a Brazilian Police Officer, to become a LEO in USA? I'm SERIOUSLY thinking about move to USA. Could someone give some directions or liks so i can read about it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links