Wow, even I am a little nervous about this one - Page 4

Wow, even I am a little nervous about this one

This is a discussion on Wow, even I am a little nervous about this one within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Good to work a detail that is at least a little interesting. I have done quite a few EP details with my agency and it ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Wow, even I am a little nervous about this one

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Good to work a detail that is at least a little interesting. I have done quite a few EP details with my agency and it is mostly "halls and walls". But, I have had the occasional cool helicopter ride or flight in a Gulfstream to brighten the days also. Plus, chicks really dig the sunglasses and earbud. It has its moments, but I cannot imagine doing it fulltime, a' la' USSS.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Sixto stay safe and let us know how it goes.

Hmmm.

I always wondered about guys that "protected" other people. Is the money really good?

Would it be worth it to your wife and your kids if you didnt make it home that night?

Can someone that you dont know be so important that you risk your life and the lives of your family that would be changed forever if you got killed?

I always wondered what motivated people to do that. I understand that you are playing the odds as most details go as planned, but the more you do it, the worse the odds against you get.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandBob View Post
    Hmmm.

I always wondered about guys that "protected" other people. Is the money really good?
    Sixto and all the other LEO are in the business of "protecting" other people, all the time.

And no -- the money stinks.

VIP protection details sometimes are just part of the package at the regular pay.

It's the reverse of the yacht salesman's, "If you have to ask, you can't afford it."

There are many times I have said, "If you have to ask, you won't understand the answer."

It's like the military service (especially the USMC) -- "If you have to ask, you won't understand the answer."
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Administrator
    I'm back, all went well. It was very boring actually. The client was interesting though, I got to have a short conversation with him. I will fill in a little more later tonight.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Hmmm.

Would it be worth it to your wife and your kids if you didnt make it home that night?

Can someone that you dont know be so important that you risk your life and the lives of your family that would be changed forever if you got killed?

I always wondered what motivated people to do that. I understand that you are playing the odds as most details go as planned, but the more you do it, the worse the odds against you get.
    The USSS, and agents with similar duties, are not so much protecting a "person" as they are protecting a position. The position, in my (and, apparently, their) opinion, is worth protecting.

And the money CAN be pretty good, depending on where you work and who you work for...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Thankyou for that OPFOR. I figured it had to be more than the money,because based on that alone, it sure doesnt seem worth dying for. I'd die for my loved ones and friends if I thought it was neccesary, but taking a bullet for some dude just because he is rich doesnt seem worth it to me.

VIP Member

Making it home at night

Hmmm.

Lots of people have jobs in which they might not make it home, and others have jobs with hidden dangers and safety issues that don't come to the fore until something unusual happens.

Not detracting from the LEs, you could ask the same question of the guy who works the counter at the Stop n Rob; the guy who builds steel trusses for sky scrapers, the folks who maintain our roads; the scientists who work with dangerous bugs or toxic chemicals; and very many additional occupations. Is it worth it? What if no one would do these jobs?

Not detracting from the LEs, you could ask the same question of the guy who works the counter at the Stop n Rob; the guy who builds steel trusses for sky scrapers, the folks who maintain our roads; the scientists who work with dangerous bugs or toxic chemicals; and very many additional occupations. Is it worth it? What if no one would do these jobs?
    Not really. They go out to do a specific job and are generally trained to deal with it.

Stopping a bullet for someone else isnt exactly in the same league. No one expects to get shot working at a stop and rob. The guys that work the sky highs dont do it with the thought of falling off a rail. Dangerous bugs? LOL. Toxic chemicals generally dont kill you quick,unless you happen to fall into a vat of something nasty or inhale too much of something.

I've been in a few dangerous occupations myself. I always had the training or skills to deal with it and by the Grace of God I came out OK.

Somehow stepping into a bullet to protect someone just seems like its tempting fate to me. I do understand protecting a position. Its about the only thing that makes sense. I've known several people over the years working on EP details over in the Mideast and they made dang good money.

Guess what.
    Some of them never collected it.

Administrator
    But dont forget that most people that do what I do also have the training and skill to handle the situation they might find themselves in.
    My job is not to take a bullet; its to make sure my client does not.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    It was very boring actually.
    Glad it was boring.

I would guess a career working in executive security is 40 years of boredom with the possibility or 4 minutes of extreme terror.

So what jet was it?!?
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

VIP Member
    Throw everyone off track, and tape a bullseye onto his back when you meet him. whoever would be a threat , wil be so utterly confounded, they'll walk away , shaking their head,

JK
    Please be careful

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Administrator
    It was boring with exception of the flight, that was fun. Especially the empty ride back. Pilots and cops are a lot alike; get them together and you are bound to have a good time.

They didn't fly what I was originally told, it was a G350. Which was just fine by me.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    So after chatting with him you'll throw yourself in front of the guy and "take a bullet" for him any ol' day now?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    It was boring with exception of the flight, that was fun. Especially the empty ride back. Pilots and cops are a lot alike; get them together and you are bound to have a good time.

They didn't fly what I was originally told, it was a G350. Which was just fine by me.
    Wow! Now that is a nice plane. I was going to guess a Gulfstream. A 650 Citation is a turd compared to the Gulfstreams.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links