Why felons shouldn't vote

This is a discussion on Why felons shouldn't vote within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ThatGunGuy made a statement on another thread and I realized that a number of people don't know the history to the reasons why felons traditionally ...

Thread: Why felons shouldn't vote

Closed Account Array Steelhorse's Avatar

Why felons shouldn't vote

ThatGunGuy made a statement on another thread and I realized that a number of people don't know the history to the reasons why felons traditionally have been barred from voting.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGunGuy
    If the felon has served their time, why should they be denied their rights? If they are still a risk, why are they back on the streets? G Gordon Liddy is a felon, but I'd love it if he were allowed to vote again. With the hundreds of thousands of "drug criminals" being charged as felons, prohibiting them their right to vote amounts to taking away their voice in the decriminilization effort.
    Felon disenfranchisement can be traced to the ancient Greek and Roman governements as a means of 'social death' for those convicted of infamous crimes and thusly brought to America by our ancestors who settled here.

A felony is a breach of a social contract of sorts, where the loss of rights is directly attributed to the commission of a felony, save executive or judicial restoration. Only a handful of states still prohibit felons voting, though most do not allow felons to hold public office.

But Felons still cannot possess a firearm.

Is it a practice that its time has come to be reviewed? Possibly.

Do felons still vote anyway? Yes. Though, non citizens do too.

2. Remove Ads

Your post is kind of vague due to no sources are given. When did it become law that a felon couldn't vote? It's not in the Constitution or the Bill of Rights (the exception) as far as I can see.

It's not in the Fed. papers either. When did it become law that felons couldn't vote? 226 years ago, 100 years ago, ?

Wayne

VIP Member
    Voting qualifications for state and national elections are determined by the states within a framework established by the US Constitution. For instance the age for voting is 18 as established by the 26th Amendment. The states still have the right to say (to a certain extent) which 18 year olds are eligible to vote.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Lead Moderator
    Heck! I can't believe that while they are in jail we give them a college education for free and color cable TV. They are criminals, they shouldn't be getting squat!

(Just one persons opinion!)
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

rstickle , I to am of the same opinion as you are. I also feel we are not alone.

Rhome

it is a law that they do not vote.

DC Founder
    I'm with Rick, too.

I have never heard of any state allowing a felon to carry a gun or vote unless the went before the courts and had their reights restored. I don't know much at all about that process, but understand it is very difficult to do. I wouldn't even give them the chance....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

They might as well let them vote now that they are granting amnesty to the illegal aliens

well the problem with this is the Guberment's solution to everything is make it a felony. This is something that must be reviewed. If this doesnt' stop we will have only a very few people eligible to vote.
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

If we lived under laws where all felonies where honest to God bad crimes I'd agree.

However there are TONS of minor BS things that can get you a felony conviction.

• Make a mistake while filling out any federal government forum? FELONY
    • Wander on to federal government property while hunting or CCWing? FELONY
    • Accidentally run over an "endangered species" with your lawn mower, or just damage the "endangered species" home? FELONY
    • I own a carbine kit for my Steyr M40. If I assemble the parts in the wrong order; FELONY
    • In some states receiving fellatio from your wife; FELONY

Yeah, I know its an almost overused quote but:
    "There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws...you create a nation of law-breakers and then you cash in on guilt."
    Ayn Rand

Here in the liberal state of California, convicted felons can't vote unless they have had a judicially ordered restoration of rights.

Links