Bloomberg Wants National DNA Database

950 views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Miggy 
#1 ·
http://newsmax.com/archives/ic/2006/5/25/170112.shtml?s=ic

Thursday, May 25, 2006 4:57 p.m. EDT

(c) Newsmax.com

Opponents of any kind of national ID card will be aghast at New York Mayor Mike Bloomberg's idea for a national DNA or fingerprint database designed to track the citizenship of all workers.

Bloomberg defended his idea: "We already have a unique identification card for everybody that works in this country," reports the New York Sun. "It's called your Social Security card, so this is not a civil liberties issue. In the day and age when everybody's got a PC on their desk with Photoshop that can replicate anything, it's become a joke. You can go buy a green card or a Social Security card for 50 bucks. I'm told it's so competitive sometimes you can get two for the price of one."

A senior staff attorney at the New York Immigration Coalition, Avideh Moussavian, praised Bloomberg for his proposal to legalize undocumented immigrants already here, but told the Sun she had reservations about his proposed tracking system.

"It has the possibility for dangerous misuse of private information," Moussavian said. "Without the proper checks and balances, we have concerns about that."

In an op-ed piece in Wednesday's Wall Street Journal Bloomberg revealed his own immigration reform plan and warned that America's economy would crumble if the 11 million or so illegal aliens now here were deported to their home countries. He wants to legalize those now here and suggests we need them to keep the Social Security system solvent.

"We're not having babies fast enough," he told Fox News. "When you want to retire and you want Social Security to pay the benefits that you believe the government promised, somebody's going to have to be paying into Social Security."

According to the Sun, Bloomberg also called for building fences and using high-tech surveillance in remote border areas. He also suggested that immigrants pay back taxes and whatever fines they owe in exchange for being given legal status legalization.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sorry to say - IMO - Bloomberg is a raving looney! And a dangerous one at that. He has had a few vaguely useful ideas but they are lost in the mist compared with his crackpot notions.

I am hoping that as he is so idiotic and extreme that given an inch of rope it'll become a yard - and he can go hang himself!

Heaven forbid he should ever rise up the power ladder - even Hilary can seem a Saint compared to him on some things. Oops - what did I just say - wash mouth out with soap !

#3 ·
i do not think so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QKShooter Note:
I had to delete some of your exclamation marks as there were so many that they were throwing the page width off. :rofl:

#4 ·
Many politicians & even one former President have more to fear from a National D.N.A. Data Base than most average American Citizens.

Could you see a Kennedy or a Clinton or Gary Condit pushing for a Nat DNA Data Base? :biggrin2:

#5 ·
Bloomberg defended his idea: "We already have a unique identification card for everybody that works in this country," reports the New York Sun. "It's called your Social Security card.

Not only is Mr. Bloomberg stupid; he is ignorant as well. Maybe he has never seen or read a Social Security card. On the front of every Social Security card issued are the following words: For Social Security and Tax Purposes -- NOT FOR IDENTIFICATION. Obviously we do not "already have a unique identification card for everybody that works in this country." Everyone of those Social Security cards he is talking about states that it is not for identification. Even when you fill out an ATF Form #4473 the blank that has Social Security Number in it has the following statement: "Optional, but will help to prevent misidentification." It cannot help to identify you, but it can help to tell you apart from someone else with the same name.

When I went on active duty in the Army I was 22 years old and still living at home. I am a Junior, but most letters and forms that came to me did not include Jr. on them. My father and I often had to just open up what we got and determine by content who it was for. Can you imagine what kind of problem would have come up if we had both bought handguns on the same day. I know a guy who runs a gun shop who bumped into his double in high school. They both transferred from different jr. highs to the same high school. As if being doubles weren't enough, they had the same names and birthdays. Wierd, huh? Later in high school his family moved and after they got moved in he discovered that his address was the same as the other guys except one was on South whatever street and the other on North. He said they loved it in high school when they would swap classes and pull tricks because no one could tell them appart. He said it was more fun than having a twin because there were different parents. Anyway, think about trying to tell these guys apart with out something unique. The SSAN in their case could certainly help to prevent misidentification. Things like date of birth, height, where you were born and many of the other things used to identify people would not help because these guys had the same name, date of birth, height, and place of birth.

Anyway, the Mayor of New York is wrong. We do not have "a unique identification card for everybody that works in this country."

#6 ·
srfl thinking out loud: Why does my home city keep electing complete idiots? It must be all of the darned non-NY'ers that move to the Big (Rotten) Apple and vote these morons into public office....sheesh.

#7 ·
goes to show you that the only objective of Guberment is to get bigger. Kind of like my waist line

#10 ·
You can go buy a green card or a Social Security card for 50 bucks. I'm told it's so competitive sometimes you can get two for the price of one."
Mr. Mayor, if you have that information, how come you are not enforcing the law?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.