Uighurs appeal dismissed

Uighurs appeal dismissed

This is a discussion on Uighurs appeal dismissed within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The strange winding path continues.... washingtonpost.com Court dismisses appeal of Uighurs detained at Guantanamo Bay By Robert Barnes Washington Post Staff Writer Monday, March 1, ...

VIP Member

Post Uighurs appeal dismissed

The strange winding path continues....

washingtonpost.com

Court dismisses appeal of Uighurs detained at Guantanamo Bay

By Robert Barnes
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Monday, March 1, 2010; 11:38 AM

The Supreme Court on Monday dismissed a major separation of powers case that would have determined what rights judges have to free detainees at Guantanamo Bay who have been found not to be enemy combatants.

The justices, without recorded dissent, agreed with the Obama administration that changed circumstances meant that the challenge brought by a group of Chinese Muslims known as Uighurs was not ripe for the court's consideration.

At the same time, the justices wiped out a ruling by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia that had been challenged by attorneys for the detainees. The ruling said that the judicial branch had no power to release into the United States detainees who had been cleared of wrongdoing who cannot be returned to their home countries for fear of persecution.

The Obama administration has been working to find a neutral country to accept the Uighurs and thus avoid another showdown at the Supreme Court on detainee rights. It recently persuaded Switzerland to take two of the men, and said the others had been offered, but turned down, the chance to go to the island nation of Palau.

The court was convinced.

"Each of the detainees at issue in this case has received at least one offer of resettlement in another country," the court said in an unsigned, three-paragraph order. "Most of the detainees have accepted an offer of resettlement; five detainees, however, have rejected two such offers and are still being held at Guantanamo Bay."

It said that set of facts changed the basic issue that the lower courts considered. "No court has yet ruled in this case in light of the new facts, and we decline to be the first to do so," the order said.

The Uighurs were captured in Pakistan and Afghanistan in 2001, but both the Bush and Obama administrations have agreed it was a mistake, and concluded that the men pose no threat to the United States. However, the Uighurs are considered terrorists by the Chinese government and risk persecution if they return to China.

A federal judge ruled that, if there were no place else to go, the men could be released into this country. But a three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia overruled Judge Ricardo M. Urbina's decision, saying only the legislative and executive branches had the power to exclude or admit foreigners to the country.

The case followed the court's 2008 decision that Guantanamo detainees had the right to prove to a federal judge that they were being unlawfully held as enemy combatants. The Uighur case would have provided a logical next step, determining what powers a judge has to release such a person, especially when sending him back to his home country is not an option.

Attorneys for the Uighurs urged the court not to dismiss the case, saying it would only be delaying an inevitable decision. But they also had asked that if the court decided not to hear the case because of the changed circumstances, it should also vacate the circuit court's decision so that it did not stand as precedent.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    The strange winding path continues....

washingtonpost.com
    and said the others had been offered, but turned down, the chance to go to the island nation of Palau.
    Are they nutz? WT...? They've been basically in prison for how long and they just got offered a chance to get off free of charge and dropped off in paradise to boot?

These guys should stay in confinement for being guilty of stupidity

edit: ME ME ME... PICK ME... I'll go... Of course Mr Obama needs to create a mortgage stimulus and pay off my mortgage first, but I'll take the trip to Palau and won't complain a bit.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    re: Pack.
    In response to your question, "are they nutz," crazy as a fox, as the saying goes.

It ain't over till its over.

An "Island paradise" may be fine when you are on vacation. It can get old fast if you have to live there, though you'd think not as fast as GITMO.

They are taking a huge gamble.

Links