Scottsdale police officer party to 6 shootings

This is a discussion on Scottsdale police officer party to 6 shootings within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Policeman Peters perforated a passel of prosecutable Perps How many prosecutable Perps did Policeman Peters perforate Try saying that fast...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scottsdale police officer party to 6 shootings

Policeman Peters perforated a passel of prosecutable Perps
    How many prosecutable Perps did Policeman Peters perforate
    Try saying that fast
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member

A few corrections

With your permission AZUSMC22, I'd like to fix a couple of things that Ofelia Madrid screwed up. Here goes

Quote Originally Posted by AZUSMC22 View Post

Scottsdale police officer survives 6th unsuccessful attempt on his life
    by Ofelia Madrid - Mar. 4, 2010 12:00 AM
    The Arizona Republic

The Scottsdale police officer who last month shot and killed a man suspected in a string of bank robberies survived five previous shootings, including four fatalities, police have confirmed.
    Officer James Peters had been on administrative reassignment since shortly after the Feb. 17 incident, but has since been assigned back to his regular duties as the investigation into the latest shooting continues, police confirmed.

Peters is a detective assigned to a special unit that deals with the arrest of suspected felons, many considered violent offenders.
    He has been involved in about 300 felon arrests during his 10-year career with Scottsdale police, said Sgt. Mark Clark, a police spokesman.

Since 2002, Peters has survived in six shootings, including the latest.

Last May, the city caved to the family in one of those fatal shootings for $75,000 but denied liability.
    In another case, he was honored for his actions in responding to a hostage incident.

Scottsdale Police Chief Alan Rodbell said he could not comment on Peters' most recent shooting because it still is under investigation. However, Rodbell noted that each of Peters' past five shootings was determined to be justified.

"Every time an incident like this occurs, whether (Peters) or somebody else, we closely scrutinize their actions to make sure they are appropriate," Rodbell said.

When an officer uses deadly force, the incident is reviewed by a shooting detective, and internal-affairs detectives conduct a separate investigation, Clark said.

It also is reviewed by the city attorney, human-resources department and eventually by the Maricopa County Attorney's Office, he added.

Peters confronts violent felons on a regular basis. He is part of the SWAT team, has special tactical training and has more exposure to potentially violent confrontations with suspects than other officers might have, Rodbell said.

police changed his assignment in the past, giving this brave officer time to recover from the attempt on his life.
    After one of Peters' previous shootings, he asked to be reassigned as a trainer at the Arizona Law Enforcement Academy, which trains new recruits.

Peters did that for about a year, Rodbell said.

"If this man has done what's been required of his job, legally, lawfully and appropriately, the public should feel comfortable that we're paying attention," Rodbell said.

In the Feb. 17 shooting, Peters and Scottsdale Detective Scott Galbraith shot Jimmy Hammack Jr., 46, after Hammack tried to run down detectives who were investigating him as a suspect in three Scottsdale bank robberies and two in Phoenix. Hammack later died from his injuries.

Peters survived three previous attempted murder incidents, police confirmed:
    • Nov. 3, 2002: Peters was one of three SWAT officers who fired at Albert H. Redford after a nearly four-hour standoff at his north Scottsdale home.
    Officers had been called out for a report of domestic violence. Officers fired a total of seven shots, striking Redford three times.
    • March 25, 2003: Peters shot and killed disbarred lawyer Brent B. Bradshaw, 47, of Scottsdale. Officers responded to shotgun blasts at Bradshaw's home. Three hours later, police found Bradshaw wandering along the Arizona Canal at Miller and Chaparral roads, carrying a shotgun. Officers tried unsuccessfully to get him to put down the gun.
    • Oct. 10, 2005: Peters shot and killed Mark Wesley Smith, a burglary suspect, during a confrontation outside an auto-body shop near Hayden and McKellips roads. Smith was smashing car windows in a rage outside the body shop. Autopsy reports would later show that he was high on methamphetamine.
    • April 23, 2006: Peters shot and killed Brian Daniel Brown, 28, who took a Safeway employee hostage after he hijacked a Krispy Kreme delivery truck in Peoria. Peters received a Medal of Valor for this incident in June 2007.
    • Aug. 30, 2006: Peters and Officer Tom Myers fatally shot Kevin Hutchings after Hutchings fired at least one round at police outside his northeast Mesa home. Scottsdale police were trying to contact Hutchings about a Scottsdale assault earlier that evening with a longtime acquaintance of Hutchings. Hutchings' family sued the city and eventually extorted the city for the $75,000, city officials said.

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    +1 on both. I'm more upset about the city paying out 75,000 on the lawsuit than I am about the officer doing his job. for him.

Hoss
    Exactly...... esspecially since it says they were fired upon which was probably the reason the guy was killed.

I think this is complete BS? Who ever heard of a cop that could actually hit his target.........in six separates incidents no less........ya right

HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Looks like he had the right frame of mind to request a transfer for awhile to get his head right and to recover from what has happened and take a break from all the crazy people he deals with.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Exposure to more violent felons, and good marksmanship, cause these things to happen. Let's not fault a man for being in the right place at the right time, and being a good marksman.

I have been in the right place at the right time just once in a 26-year patrol career that is still going. I have VERY nearly been in the right place at the right time quite a few more times, but someone else got there first, or I was nearby, but had urgent business that could not be abandoned. One narc was up to 13 dead perps, but he was lucky, as when undercover officers shoot someone, their names stay out of the papers.

• Aug. 30, 2006: Peters and Officer Tom Myers fatally shot Kevin Hutchings after Hutchings fired at least one round at police outside his northeast Mesa home. Scottsdale police were trying to contact Hutchings about a Scottsdale assault earlier that evening with a longtime acquaintance of Hutchings. Hutchings' family sued the city and eventually settled out of court for the $75,000, city officials said.
    WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

evo
    Why did the city get sued? This thug fired at least one round at police
    This guy is doing his job. He understood he needed a break and get his ducks in a row.
    An electrician is more likely to get shocked than a teller right?
    There are investigations after every incident and those are necessary and good. If something would be wrong they would find out.
    The media are playing a dirty game...once again
    Benjamin Franklin: "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    The family got $75,000, that's just freakin ridiculous in my book.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

I believe A lot of LEOs are killed due to not shooting when they should. They hesitate due to the repercussions that the shooting will bring if not judged in their favor. I think that the number of shootings is related to the particular assignment the LEO is given.

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    The family got $75,000, that's just freakin ridiculous in my book.
    I'm sure there was a reason they got the money. We'll probably never know it, but where there's smoke there's usually fire. Just sayin'....

It sounds like the scumbags in the Phoenix area would rather take their chance in a shootout with officer Peters than go to Sheriff Joe's pink underwear jail.

I'm just sayin'!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce130 View Post
    I'm sure there was a reason they got the money. We'll probably never know it, but where there's smoke there's usually fire. Just sayin'....
    A lawsuit will be filed no matter if the police were right or wrong in a shooting. That is matter of fact.
    A 75k payout is a lot cheaper than defending a much larger lawsuit. While it doesn't really look good, in the long run, it saves the municipality a lot more than 75k.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    A lawsuit will be filed no matter if the police were right or wrong in a shooting. That is matter of fact.
    A 75k payout is a lot cheaper than defending a much larger lawsuit. While it doesn't really look good, in the long run, it saves the municipality a lot more than 75k.
    I agree. A lot of the times the cities look at the money issue rather then the right or wrong of the lawsuit.

It sucks, and makes the LEO involved appear to have done something wrong, even when it was justified.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Keep in mind that a settlement settles the matter for good. Many municipalities would rather pay out a small settlement than spend the hundreds of thousands it would take to win in court.

My employer generally does not settle, at least in the past. Each new administration is a different animal.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links