Should I be worried?

Should I be worried?

This is a discussion on Should I be worried? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Should I be worried about the part with the soldiers being trained to deal with civil unrest here in the U.S.? Maybe I am reading ...

Should I be worried?

Should I be worried about the part with the soldiers being trained to deal with civil unrest here in the U.S.?

Maybe I am reading too much into this, any opinions?

Brigade homeland tours start Oct. 1 - Army News, news from Iraq, - Army Times

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2008/se...mili-s25.shtml

http://www.prisonplanet.com/us-troop...tober-1st.html

Lead Moderator
    Seems a little late to start being worried since the story was written in 2008.

Not to mention that the Army has been training for things like that for a much longer time!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

yes.
    - Taurus Model 85 2" Ultra-Lite
    - SOG Flash II
    - Mini Mag Lite

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Seems a little late to start being worried since the story was written in 2008.

Not to mention that the Army has been training for things like that for a much longer time!
    +1

Just part of their training.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

The 1st BCT’s soldiers also will learn how to use “the first ever nonlethal package that the Army has fielded,” 1st BCT commander Col. Roger Cloutier said, referring to crowd and traffic control equipment and nonlethal weapons designed to subdue unruly or dangerous individuals without killing them.

The package is for use only in war-zone operations, not for any domestic purpose.

Right...give them the capability and they'll use it eventually here at home. I've got no problem with the US Military helping out at home during disasters or helping to clean up CBRN attacks, indeed my own unit helped out with Katrina. I do have a problem with crowd control and "restoring order." If perhaps the US Mil would agree to go unarmed and leave the control/order to the police I'd be more supportive.
    And just b/c it's two years old doesn't mean you shouldn't be worried about it. The problem does not lie with our military, it lies with our politicans who have the capability to order these deployments. I simply don't trust them.

The weapons, the paper reported, are “designed to subdue unruly or dangerous individuals without killing them.” The equipment includes beanbag bullets, shields and batons and equipment for erecting roadblocks.
    The military and police have had this type training for decades. Nothing new. Do you remember the riots in the 60's? Remember the unfortunate shooting/killing at Kent State? It's always been here.
    May we never forget those in uniform who protect us night and day in lands far away. And those in all wars who paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. May God Bless our Troops and First Responders.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jacket View Post
    The military and police have had this type training for decades. Nothing new. Do you remember the riots in the 60's? Remember the unfortunate shooting/killing at Kent State? It's always been here.
    Doesn't make it right.

No need to worry. I am a part of that Brigade and we have since passed the torch on to another Unit. The way we were instructed was that if there was ever a Natural disaster (Katrina, Earthquake) or Terrorist attack we would be able to come and support the local LEAs only after the states resources had been expended (to include the National Guard) and the State Government requested our help.

When we assumed the mission we heard all the rantings from the left that this would be used to keep Bush in office and the right that Obama would use us for some craziness. That of course was the far left and far right. Please remember that although the politicians may send us to do something, it does not mean that the Military would turn on its own people. At the end of the day I am a resident of Raliegh NC and have family and freinds in many states across this great nation. As a leader I would not be able to execute an order that would put innocent Americans in harms way, but remember the gangs that shot at our troops during Katrina. Would you want to send your soldiers out unarmed against those dangers? We need to keep in mind that alot of the LEOs went to protect and evacuate their families, there might not be a prevalent LEO presence.

I hope there is never a use for the CCMRF mission and that it stays just what it has been a readiness force, but I also hope that if it is ever needed the citizens realize that we are there to help.

I don't worry so much about the training, as I do about WHO is in charge of the 'go switch'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I don't worry so much about the training, as I do about WHO is in charge of the 'go switch'...
    Me too.
    Of course, I can't imagine a narcissistic president with a far out agenda wanting to stay in office against the wishes of the voters. That's crazy.

VIP Member
    Get out and wear your tinfoil hat, you'll be safe then.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Good point.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bkrazy View Post
    No need to worry. I am a part of that Brigade and we have since passed the torch on to another Unit. The way we were instructed was that if there was ever a Natural disaster (Katrina, Earthquake) or Terrorist attack we would be able to come and support the local LEAs only after the states resources had been expended (to include the National Guard) and the State Government requested our help.

When we assumed the mission we heard all the rantings from the left that this would be used to keep Bush in office and the right that Obama would use us for some craziness. That of course was the far left and far right. Please remember that although the politicians may send us to do something, it does not mean that the Military would turn on its own people. At the end of the day I am a resident of Raliegh NC and have family and freinds in many states across this great nation. As a leader I would not be able to execute an order that would put innocent Americans in harms way, but remember the gangs that shot at our troops during Katrina. Would you want to send your soldiers out unarmed against those dangers? We need to keep in mind that alot of the LEOs went to protect and evacuate their families, there might not be a prevalent LEO presence.

I hope there is never a use for the CCMRF mission and that it stays just what it has been a readiness force, but I also hope that if it is ever needed the citizens realize that we are there to help.
    Obviously you are brainwashed and hypnotized and will, in reality, turn on your fellow citizens when some as yet unidentified government official blows a magic wistle. At least that is what some folks seem to think.

On a more serious note: Thank you for your service. Your sacrifice and dedication is appreciated. Please be safe and sound!
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Links