BAD -- Corrections Officer St at Home

BAD -- Corrections Officer St at Home

This is a discussion on BAD -- Corrections Officer St at Home within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Corrections Officer Robert Johnson Shot, Sumter Neighbors on Edge wltx.com | Columbia, SC News, Weather and Sports | Corrections Officer Robert Johnson Shot, Sumter Neighbors ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: BAD -- Corrections Officer St at Home

  1. #1
    VIP Member
    Array DaveH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Posts
    5,036

    BAD -- Corrections Officer St at Home

    Corrections Officer Robert Johnson Shot, Sumter Neighbors on Edge wltx.com | Columbia, SC News, Weather and Sports |

    Corrections Officer Robert Johnson Shot, Sumter Neighbors on Edge
    Jerome Collins Created: 3/7/2010 8: 18 :37 PM Updated: 3/7/2010 11: 58 :06 PM

    Sumter, SC (WLTX) - Neighbors of Robert Johnson are on edge after the South Carolina Corrections officer was shot at his home early Friday morning.

    Some neighbors on Love Street in Sumter are fearful. "I heard a lot of hollering and screaming and that's about it. That was about 5 o'clock,"said a woman who did not want to be identified.

    Another unidentified neighbor said it shocked and surprised him.

    Investigators say someone shot Johnson, 57, in the chest Friday after forcing their way into his home. Since the incident, Sumter Police have kept watch outside Johnson's house. Previous Coverage: Corrections Officer Shot During Home Invasion

    "Somebody's crazy that had a grudge against (Johnson) him. The line of work he's in, he can meet some bad people and that's kind of bad,"said the woman.

    Johnson is a captain at Lee Correctional Institute in Bishopville. Police say there's no evidence that the shooting is related to his job. But neighbors say this kind of crime just doesn't happen on their street.

    "This block is quiet. It's a quiet neighborhood. Nothing goes on around here too much. And for that to happen right here on this block, it's a shock,"said a neighbor.

    They describe Johnson as a family man who when he's not spending time with loved ones, is serving the Lord.

    "He's a minister. A good person and he goes by the book. He doesn't bother anybody,"said one man.

    Meanwhile, neighbors are holding on to faith that Johnson will make a full recovery.

    "I just hope the man pull through because he's a good man,"said the woman.

    Investigators say Johnson remains in stable but critical condition at an undisclosed hospital.

    Anyone with information should call Crimestoppers at 1-888-CRIME-SC, or e-mail a tip in to Crimestoppers of the Midlands. You can also text information in by texting "TIPSC" plus your message to CRIMES (274637). Either way you choose, your identity will remain anonymous, and you could be eligible for a cash reward.
    Last edited by DaveH; March 8th, 2010 at 09:44 AM. Reason: make the time come up as :18: -- not a smille
    Μολὼν λαβέ

    I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

    I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

    Veni, Vidi, Velcro


  2. #2
    Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    1,283
    Terrible. I never thought about the chance that a CO could have work follow him home, though in hind sight it makes perfect sense. Hopefully he makes a full recovery.

    Interested to know if they figure out why he was targeted.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

    NRA Life Member

  3. #3
    Ex Member Array BikerRN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    State of Discombobulation
    Posts
    5,253
    Quote Originally Posted by lacrosse50 View Post
    Terrible. I never thought about the chance that a CO could have work follow him home, though in hind sight it makes perfect sense. Hopefully he makes a full recovery.

    Interested to know if they figure out why he was targeted.
    Retribution from behind the walls is becoming more frequent.

    I wish Cpt Johnson a speedy recovery with no lasting after effects and that the actor of this deed is brought to a swift and final justice post haste.

    There is a lot I can tolerate, and deal with, but if you bring your inside world into my outside world rest assured that niceties and pleasantry will not greet you.

    Biker

  4. #4
    VIP Member Array dukalmighty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    15,179
    There was a video where a CO noticed something suspicious and as a guy approached down the sidewalk he got his concealed gun out,the guy on the sidewalk pulled a gun out and the CO shot him,BG ran off and died on a side street
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

  5. #5
    New Member Array adfiero3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    mass
    Posts
    6
    Capt. Johnson I wish you a speedy recovery, you are in my prayers.
    Last edited by adfiero3; March 8th, 2010 at 07:37 PM. Reason: jb
    AA3

  6. #6
    Member Array proliance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    La Vergne, TN
    Posts
    31
    I would guess that all Corrections Officers will have their lives threatened if they are doing their job right.

    I was a CO for the Sheriff's Office for a few years and I got the "I'll see you on the street" threat several times. An awful lot of people will remember you from the jail, but chances are that you won't recognize them.

    Three times when I was getting gas at the station across from my condo, someone came up to me and said "I know you from somewhere, just can't remember where." That's the clue they remember you from jail. Another guy was cutting the grass where I live and said the same thing. I really hoped he didn't remember who I was, because by then he knew where I lived. It took him a few days to figure out where he knew me from, and told me next time he saw me that he remembered me from jail. He was so happy to be out of jail he was laughing and shook my hand and thanked me for something. Once again, I couldn't remember him at all. I'm just glad it wasn't one of the guys I had to fight with or take away their privileges for being stupid.

    I've applied for my TN HCP, but am still waiting for it. My young daughter asked why I wanted to carry a gun and I couldn't say that it was to protect her as was to protect myself. I just mumbled something about bad guys and you never know what's going to happen.

    Best wishes to Capt. Johnson and his family. Its sad this stuff happens.

  7. #7
    Moderator
    Array RETSUPT99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    45,511
    Sad days, when a man is shot for doing his job. I certainly hope for a full recovery and a quick arrest of the dirtbag(s) responsible.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

    ***********************************
    Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

  8. #8
    VIP Member Array Eagleks's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    7,883
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Retribution from behind the walls is becoming more frequent.

    I wish Cpt Johnson a speedy recovery with no lasting after effects and that the actor of this deed is brought to a swift and final justice post haste.

    There is a lot I can tolerate, and deal with, but if you bring your inside world into my outside world rest assured that niceties and pleasantry will not greet you.

    Biker
    agree .... 100%.

  9. #9
    Member Array ZombieShoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by proliance View Post
    I would guess that all Corrections Officers will have their lives threatened if they are doing their job right.

    I was a CO for the Sheriff's Office for a few years and I got the "I'll see you on the street" threat several times. An awful lot of people will remember you from the jail, but chances are that you won't recognize them.

    Three times when I was getting gas at the station across from my condo, someone came up to me and said "I know you from somewhere, just can't remember where." That's the clue they remember you from jail. Another guy was cutting the grass where I live and said the same thing. I really hoped he didn't remember who I was, because by then he knew where I lived. It took him a few days to figure out where he knew me from, and told me next time he saw me that he remembered me from jail. He was so happy to be out of jail he was laughing and shook my hand and thanked me for something. Once again, I couldn't remember him at all. I'm just glad it wasn't one of the guys I had to fight with or take away their privileges for being stupid.

    I've applied for my TN HCP, but am still waiting for it. My young daughter asked why I wanted to carry a gun and I couldn't say that it was to protect her as was to protect myself. I just mumbled something about bad guys and you never know what's going to happen.

    Best wishes to Capt. Johnson and his family. Its sad this stuff happens.
    Inmates are like wives. They can remember stuff from 10 years ago. ;)

  10. #10
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    28,417
    Condolences to the family of the innocent who have been harmed.


    But neighbors say this kind of crime just doesn't happen on their street.

    "This block is quiet. It's a quiet neighborhood. Nothing goes on around here too much. And for that to happen right here on this block, it's a shock,"said a neighbor.
    Famous last words. Every place has a first time. It happens here, just like there. Just as easily, or even more so (given the lack of readiness and expectation).


    "Somebody's crazy that had a grudge against (Johnson) him. The line of work he's in, he can meet some bad people and that's kind of bad,"said the woman.
    Lesson: Anyone can meet some bad people, anywhere. This is because they walk amongst us, every day. Keep your wits about you. Stay aware. Be armed, always.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  11. #11
    VIP Member Array dukalmighty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    15,179
    The Bad thing is with all the gangs in Prison,they can put a hit on you from inside the walls.That's why I believe they should treat every gang like domestic terrorists
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

  12. #12
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    28,417
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    The Bad thing is with all the gangs in Prison,they can put a hit on you from inside the walls.That's why I believe they should treat every gang like domestic terrorists
    It's easy to think more could be done. But some of these gangs are so pervasive and powerful that it's darned difficult to do much to thwart things like contract hits ordered from inside the walls. Even taking away phone and writing privileges wouldn't stop such things.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  13. #13
    VIP Member
    Array DaveH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Posts
    5,036
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Even taking away phone and writing privileges wouldn't stop such things.
    Ropes?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

    I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

    I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

    Veni, Vidi, Velcro

  14. #14
    Member Array DIXIETWISTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    486
    I know several state and fed COs And none of them CC. To me thats crazy not to carry of duty in that line of work. However you would have to be very careful not to carry on prison property. I know one guy that was fired when they found a bullet in his truck during a parking lot search.
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

  15. #15
    Senior Member Array dripster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    630
    One day I was walking into the gas station and an ex-inmate walked up behind me and whispered in my ear "your dead". Needless to say I wasn't armed that day when I turned around it was a local gang member from one of the blocks I worked. We never had problems, but goes to show how you can be caught sleeping at anytime on the street.
    One more step and it's on!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Taking the corrections officer exam, questions
    By Jcabin in forum Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: August 2nd, 2010, 01:26 AM
  2. Off Duty Corrections Officer
    By joey45 in forum Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: January 10th, 2008, 08:00 PM
  3. Off Duty Officer Defends Home
    By BigEFan in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: August 25th, 2007, 01:30 PM
  4. Corrections Officer in Hawaii shoots fleeing con
    By Amnesia Wes in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: April 17th, 2006, 05:27 AM
  5. Corrections Officer
    By Bruces45 in forum Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: April 10th, 2006, 05:13 PM

Search tags for this page

bad corrections officers

,
captain who had hit on him in sumter correctional officers
,
correctional officer killed in a home in south carolina
,
correctional officer robert johnson sc
,
corrections officer robert johnson surviving
,
how bad is a corrections officers job
,
robert johnson sumter corrections
,
s c corrections officer 2010 shot
Click on a term to search for related topics.