Looking for a 380 or 9mm please help

This is a discussion on Looking for a 380 or 9mm please help within the Member Buy, Sell & Trade forums, part of the Marketplace category; I am just getting into handguns and am looking for a semi auto gun to start shooting and getting used to cleaning I really would ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Looking for a 380 or 9mm please help

I am just getting into handguns and am looking for a semi auto gun to start shooting and getting used to cleaning I really would prefer a cheap gun to learn on as I would like to learn on something at the range so I have experience for everything, but also I am still I college graduate in the sprin and do not have much money. I will take any brand including cobra fs380, Taurus, Kel Tec anything please help if you can low price is the best would like yo be able to start feeling like I can defend myself in any bad situation

EDIT: I am located in Frederick Maryland anyone within a relatively close distance I would happily come to pick it up

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    I suggest you go to a local range and rent some of their guns. That will give you the learning experience about shooting the gun before you buy. If you buy one and then find it's not fun to shoot, it can be a serious turn off for a very fun sport. Most ranges have basic gun safety and handling courses where you can try out various guns. I'm sure they will let you clean a few to learn that sice of shooting.

If you're just getting started, you need trigger-time more than ANYTHING else. If you're on a tight budget, you need rimfire more than ANYTHING else. Don't get ahead of yourself, I would rather see you become an experienced, skilled pistolero with a Ruger Mk ? or a Browning Buckmark with the short-term risk of having to defend yourself with a rimfire than a lifetime of sub-par skills with a marginal quality handgun because you, uh...didn't take my wonderful advice!
    Hopyard likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I would rent some and try them out but that can run some dollars if you get too carried away. Perhaps you could save a bit more money and get something decent that will be a good firearm for you for a long time. The suggestion above on renting a rimfire is a good one. Great way to learn with lowest cost ammo.

Please read up on firearm laws in MD as well. I spent the better part of my life in Frederick and MD is not a gun friendly state.

Yup, find a range that will let you try a variety. Its all preference and what you feel comfortable with. People will tell you do chose this caliber or that caliber. Its all what you can handle, like, etc. I've bounced around with everything from the .380 to the 45. I usually carry the 9mm. However, depending upon the gun, I do like the .40 and 45. Try what you think you'd like and discover what you can handle.

I'm sorry I forgot to put in that I have shot before but just really getting into owning but I do recognize that the trigger time is extremely important. I also would like to be able to protect my home and family members and I'm not trying to get into a caliber debate but these calibers are what I believe I will be most comfortable with at the moment. I have some basic knowledge of Maryland laws as my dad is a state trooper. I have shot sigs, glocks, bersa, and a beretta

Allright. The Springfield XD line seem to be very well priced for a bullet proof pistol. Ive got an XD9sc essentials package IIRC it was $430 out the door paying cash, But thats up here in MI. I have not had 1 single issue with it, it goes bang no matter whats in it. I believe 9mm will be the cheapest to shoot. Up here even .380 is more expensive then 9.

The Kahr CM9 is excellent quality and reasonably priced at $389 if you are looking for pocket sized. Otherwise the Kahr CW9 is slightly larger and only $362 at Buds. Both great carry options.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    black friday is coming last year I bought a tarus PT740 from academy for 289 been a good gun for the money... check the ads look at cheaper than dirt, cabellas, bass pro they will all have doorbuster gun specials
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    If expense is a major concern (geesh why would it not be for most of us) Look at the Ruger LC9 and LCP. Quality weapons and reasonable.

If you are on a budget, the best all around gun for home defense, concealed carry, or plinking would be the 9mm in my opinion because buying cartridges won't break the bank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

Good quality handguns on a budget. Look into the bersa line of pistols. I have the thunder 380 thay can be had for less than $300. And there reliable and accurate guns. As some others have said the 9mm ammo is cheaper than 380. Bersa has some nice 9mm pistols as well.
    longhornfan6 likes this.

VIP Member
    I'm with the guy who suggested a 22. Look, lets be real. Shooting costs bucks and they add up fast.
    I think I dropped about 50 this afternoon just fooling around for 45 minutes.

Initial cost of a 22 lr will be about the same or somewhat less than the initial cost of anything else,
    but you will be able to afford to practice.

You can get all sorts of advice from us in the gallery, you can look at picks and drool, but you need to rent and
    try several different guns until you find what is comfortable for you and works for you. E.g. I've been
    coveting a Sig 229 9mm but when I rented one today it just wasn't quite "me."

On a limited budget 22 lr is king.

I also think that since you are in Maryland, you really really really need to learn their laws and probably
    get your license before you buy anything. If they have a range test requirement to get a license,
    use a rental gun for that test. You don't want to run afoul of some obscure law that makes no sense
    and get into trouble at any point in your life, but certainly not as a young man.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I understand thanks for all of your advice I have looked up most laws since the last time and i have bread that it is acceptable for anyone of the age of 21 to buy a handgun but all of the rules get extremely strict as soon as the gun approaches the outside world. We do have the castle doctrine so it is all legal inside but outside of the house it is not legal to even he the ammo and firearm in the same compartment of the car going to and from the range. I will continue to search ad really take everyone's advice to heart and still hope someone has a weapon they are ready to purchase

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast