Needed Fast!! Burris Scope Ring Screw

This is a discussion on Needed Fast!! Burris Scope Ring Screw within the Member Buy, Sell & Trade forums, part of the Marketplace category; I just installed a new set of Burris Custom Steel rings on my rifle. Damn if it wasn't missing ONE screw!! My rifle is out ...

Thread: Needed Fast!! Burris Scope Ring Screw

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar

I just installed a new set of Burris Custom Steel rings on my rifle. Damn if it wasn't missing ONE screw!!

My rifle is out of commission until I find one of these little buggers.

It is an 8-40 screw, torx head, .205 head diameter (smaller head than some ring screws). Other scope ring screws head is too large to fit into top ring recess area.

The only way I have found them is to buy a whole bag of them for $12.00 plus shipping. That, or buy another set of rings to get one screw. Of course, I bought them online and have no recourse for warranty. Got bit this time.

Burris has not replied to my email. I am in need brothers!

I just need one screw!
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I have a set of new Burris Zee rings that use what appears to be the same screw. I can't confirm the thread but I'm pretty sure it's8-40. OAL (including head) is 0.345".

If you're willing to replace it within a month or two, it's not in use now and I can get it in the mail tomorrow. PM me here.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I have a set of new Burris Zee rings that use what appears to be the same screw. I can't confirm the thread but I'm pretty sure it's8-40. OAL (including head) is 0.345".

If you're willing to replace it within a month or two, it's not in use now and I can get it in the mail tomorrow. PM me here.
    I appreciate the offer. I will consider it but I want to wait till Monday as a friend of mine is "supposed" to bring me a handful of rings he said he has and I want to check them before I have anyone send me anything.

On the screw you mention for the Zee rings about 1/4" length? Also, can you mic the head diameter and confirm it is .205". The head diameter is my issue. Apparently only Burris rings use these small diameter head torx screws.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.

OAL is 0.345", length of threaded shank is 0.237" , so height of socket head is 0.108". OD of the head is indeed is 0.205".

BTW, methinks it's an 8-36 thread. I checked all my engineering info and can't find an 8-40, although who knows what the Burris folks have done.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    OAL is 0.345", length of threaded shank is 0.237" , so height of socket head is 0.108". OD of the head is indeed is 0.205".

BTW, methinks it's an 8-36 thread. I checked all my engineering info and can't find an 8-40, although who knows what the Burris folks have done.
    MidWayUSA says they are 8-40 and they have the Burris screws in a bag for $12.00 plus shipping. I did also find 8-40 screws at other places but the head diameter was too large at .278".

Apparently 40 thread pitch is common for gun screws. Of course, Ace Hardware only has as fine as 32 thread per inch.

Leupold screws are also 40 thread pitch. Some are 6-40 and some are 8-40. Ruger rings have 6-40 screws at least on their .22 rings.

This 40tpi must be why no other screws I ever try to use will work when I am fixing a gun.

Call Burris, they'll send you one...
    -E!-

"The Hill",
    'burbs of Sav'h., GA.

Quote Originally Posted by gunfixer View Post
    Call Burris, they'll send you one...
    I was thinking they would but they sure didn't answer my email. I will call them Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    I was thinking they would but they sure didn't answer my email. I will call them Monday.
    I've always called so haven't experienced that, but their phone support is good
    even if it takes a while to get through.
    -E!-

"The Hill",
    'burbs of Sav'h., GA.

Quote Originally Posted by gunfixer View Post
    I've always called so haven't experienced that, but their phone support is good
    even if it takes a while to get through.

Just got an email from Brian Fowler at Burris! He is sending me screws!