Colt MK IV Series 80 Officer

This is a discussion on Colt MK IV Series 80 Officer within the Member Buy, Sell & Trade forums, part of the Marketplace category; I just picked this gun up at a local show without knowing a lot about it. It appeared to be similar to the Defender's but ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Kaarnij
  • 1 Post By Echo_Four
  • 4 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By dukalmighty
  • 1 Post By patri0t

Thread: Colt MK IV Series 80 Officer

I just picked this gun up at a local show without knowing a lot about it. It appeared to be similar to the Defender's but I think that is where the similarity ends. Being a series 80, I assume this has the firing pin safety block equating to a pretty rough trigger. Anyway, I have no doubt you all can tell me the real deal, the goods the bads and the uglies of this particular model. I chose this used Colt over a highly used and abused Kimber Carry Gun. Looked like the guy wrestled wearing the weapon. Ultimately condition won as I find this Colt to be in great shape. Since this will be my CC weapon let's talk about what needs to be done to increase reliability. Where would I find upgraded parts, Wilson?

Thanks to all who will participate.

Gun is pictured below.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 4
    Attached Images
    Drgnfly likes this.

VIP Member
    It is a piece of junk and very dangerous. The only safe thing you can do is send it to me for proper disposal.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Walk, don't run. Put a couple of hundred rounds of ball ammo through it and see how it works before you start putting parts on it.

The Series 80 trigger is a little worse than the Colts without, but it's by no means "rough" because of it. And by now most competent gunsmiths who know the 1911 have figured out how to get a smooth, clean-breaking trigger on S80s, so don't sweat that. If it really annoys you, you can retrofit a titanium firing pin and an extra-strength FP spring to achieve the same level of drop-proofness the S80 triger affords.

I'd say at the outset, the only thing the gun might need (and highly dependent on its use before you) is a recoil spring. The compact 1911s beat up their recoil springs way faster than the full-size models, but that's an acceptable compromise. I'd get a couple of spares to keep on hand, and plan on changing them out in the 1000-2000 round range, depending on the loads you shoot.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Gasmitty- Thank you for this great input. I am glad to hear the trigger is no worse for the design. I have been carrying a full sized. The weight on this is great. Recoil Spring Inventory....check. is there need to change the weight of spring or just keep it fresh?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaarnij View Post
    Gasmitty- Thank you for this great input. I am glad to hear the trigger is no worse for the design. I have been carrying a full sized. The weight on this is great. Recoil Spring Inventory....check. is there need to change the weight of spring or just keep it fresh?

I'd say if you're shooting full-power ammo 200 grains or heavier, just use the standard spring for that gun. If you go into the light-for-caliber stuff (like the Federal 165s) you might have to change, but you'd best determine that for your gun.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member
    Yep, I'm with gasmitty. Wait for the range and see how it performs. I have a 1991 A1 in 3.5" barrel and it's a work horse. After a couple of decades with it, I can't remember a single issue with it. Not a one. You grabbed a good one. Nicely done!
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Step one: Detail strip/good cleaning/parts inspection

Step two: reassemble

Step three: go test fire
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

If you decide to get rid of the series 80 FP block they make a shim for the frame,you also have to remove the slide parts.
    TJ'S 1911 SERIES '80 TO SERIES '70 CONVERSION SHIMS | Brownells
    Kaarnij likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    I am with the others, take it to the range and see how it runs before changing anything, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I had an Officer's Model .45 for many years. Good advice above regarding the recoil spring change-outs (the Officer's is a 'factory-chop'). I changed mine every 3k rounds or so. You may need to change the ejector if it had a lot of steel case ammo through it.
    The trigger was fine for me, especially for any reasonable SD range... (under 30 feet). I have NEVER modified a sidearm I use for carry on-duty or off.
    Colts like a light lube & decent ammo. WWB or FED AE for range & then, Duty Grade +P ammo for carry, like Hornady Critical, Gold Dot LE, Win Ranger, etc.

If you ever get involved in a 'shoot', the PA WILL raise the question of "modification's" during your 'depo', guaranteed. Been There.

(can't say I didn't 'polish-the-bejeebers' out of some parts during a full-detail-strip, but that was just "serious-cleaning". ;-)

Keep parts maintained & replace with OEM as necessary, get the grips and sights the way you like.
    Mine worked 100% with decent ammo and minimal maintenance for 20 years or so, when I sold it. Mine had the matte finish and I would have Cerakoted it, had it been available at the time.

I had a Kimber (new) that was not 100% reliable and I sold that for a Colt Defender .45 series 90, 1911 'style', which was designed around the shorter bbl as it is not a 'factory-chop' of a full size. But, that means it is not a true 1911, either.
    Kaarnij likes this.

Wow...I am new to this community and am overwhelmed by the great participation from you all. These are great keys to getting through the initial honeymoon. Thank you all so much for bestowing your expertise on me.

Patri0t - I never thought about the concern of a modified carry weapon but it makes perfect sense hopefully this will benefit others that read. I was going to go Wilson Combat stuff. I will now keep it stock with good cleanings.