BATFE Buying, Selling, & Shipping FAQ's - Page 2

BATFE Buying, Selling, & Shipping FAQ's

This is a discussion on BATFE Buying, Selling, & Shipping FAQ's within the Member Buy, Sell & Trade forums, part of the Marketplace category; Originally Posted by 00Buck So, what are the Fed Ex and UPS "rules" in shipping firearms - specifically shotguns and rifles? Is it the same ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BATFE Buying, Selling, & Shipping FAQ's

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Buck View Post
    So, what are the Fed Ex and UPS "rules" in shipping firearms - specifically shotguns and rifles? Is it the same as for handguns? (For handguns they require overnight express delivery which cost and arm and a leg.)

Thanks

John
    FedEx and UPS make no distinction between long guns and handguns. The cheapest way is probably UPS Next Day Air Saver. If you are shipping within the same state an individual can ship long guns through the USPS (see the first item in the first post of this thread) If you are shipping out of state it might be cheaper just to get an FFL to ship it through USPS. That depends on what the FFL charges to ship.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

UPS long guns ship ground. Handguns must go next day air except FFLs may use 2 day air service. I don't use FedEx so can't speak for them.

You can mail long guns interstate as long as it's going to an FFL.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    UPS long guns ship ground. Handguns must go next day air except FFLs may use 2 day air service. I don't use FedEx so can't speak for them.

You can mail long guns interstate as long as it's going to an FFL.
    Thanks Tubby45 - Do you know if the will require a copy of the FFL for person receiving the shotgun?

Thanks

John

US mail doesn't and UPS never asked before I was an FFL. I have a daily pickup account with UPS and they know I'm a gun maker and ammo maker so they know what they are shipping and all that jazz.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Question

Quote Originally Posted by jbailey View Post
    (B9) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.
    Just wanted to clarify for my own information. If I am legally allowed to carry in State "A" AND State "B", I can ship my handgun UPS from my home state "A" to a friend in State "B", and have them hold it until my arrival? This would solve a lot of transportation/airplane issues, especially in New York.

Does anyone have thoughts on this? Am I reading it correctly?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Yes it's legal. Do not have them open the package.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by 00Buck View Post
    Thanks Tubby45 - Do you know if the will require a copy of the FFL for person receiving the shotgun?

Thanks

John
    I'm getting ready to ship a shotgun via UPS in a few days. I spoke to the UPS employee and she said that I need to give them a copy of the license of the FFL it's going to. They will ship via ground for less than $20 (with insurance).

G19, G23, P2000 (9mm), LMT Defender 2000 (SOPMOD), Colt LE6920, Ruger 10/22

To be honest, I'd never trust what a UPS employee says.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Question: If you break a gun down, and mail the pieces in different boxes, that's legal, right?

For example: 1 Box contains magazines and spring(s). 1 envelope contains the barrel. Another box contains the frame.

How legal is that? It may be a pain to ship several packages, but you can skip the FFL fee's.

You'd be good with every piece except the frame itself (the part with the serial number). That part is considered the firearm regardless of whether barrel, trigger, slide, etc. are attached and must be shipped conforming to the laws for a firearm. As an example, look at retailers selling stripped AR lowers. See the notice?
    Attention!
    A current, signed FFL must be on file with MidwayUSA (some areas excluded). If not, we will contact you within 2 business days. Long Guns must be shipped UPS. Adult Signature required.
    Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I plan on searching the ATF site but want to throw this out to see if anyone here has experience with this. I have been told that (we have all heard theses "I've been told..." stories) it is legal to box up a pistol and mail it to yourself. For example: I don't want to go through the hassle of declaring a firearm in checked baggage flying from Texas to Tennessee. I go to UPS and send the package to my name with my family's address in Tennessee using ground service with signature required. I then get on the plane and arrive in time to receive the package at the door.

Anyone have any idea if this is legal or not?
    NRA Instructor

NRA Endowment Member

Be a mentor to the youth of our communities.
    Show them the way to shoot for the moon.
    If they miss, push them to reach out for a star.
    If any gang banger punks try to divert their attention...
    show them the light as well.

Yes you can ship a package to any US address but no one else but you can open the package or it's a transfer. That is legal.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

b15 says i can ship in my own state to buy or sell,but can i buy/sell over state lines to an other individual not an ffl ?

I want to advise all private citizens here on this forum about requirements for shipping ammo. I am only going to speak about UPS because that is what I have been using for several years.

You must ship ground only and you must label the package properly. It must have clearly labeled "Small Arms Cartridges ORM-D" on multiple sides. I place it on all six sides of the box. It is my understanding that the absence of such labels or declaration could land you in a lot of trouble including the possibility of prison time.

Anyone heard of any provisions that would allow you to disregard these labels, please post a rebuttal.
    NRA Instructor

NRA Endowment Member

Be a mentor to the youth of our communities.
    Show them the way to shoot for the moon.
    If they miss, push them to reach out for a star.
    If any gang banger punks try to divert their attention...
    show them the light as well.

ORM-D markings are only required on one side, not multiple.

There is no prison time for non-compliance.

Ammunition is subject to certain restrictions if the carrier is allowing reclassification as ORM-D and not hazmat.

Ammunition is HazMat through and through in regards to the DOT regs. They allow companies to accept under certain restrictions and reclassify them as ORM-D.

You can ship ammunition air, but it's a PITA.

Declaration is not required.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast