Late May: AZ trip

This is a discussion on Late May: AZ trip within the Member Meeting Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hey guys, I'll be flying into PHX on the 27th of May, and staying around for about a week. I think I'll be hanging with ...

Thread: Late May: AZ trip

Hey guys,

I'll be flying into PHX on the 27th of May, and staying around for about a week. I think I'll be hanging with the friend who's hosting me for most of the first 4 days (including Memorial Day - long weekend!).

Wondering if anybody wants to get together to shoot, hang out, see sights, etc. Also, if anybody who knows a thing or two about cane (or other "stick") defense or martial arts feels like giving a lesson , I'd be down for that, too.

While I'm at it, what should I be sure to see while I'm down there from Washington State?

If you're staying on the east side of Phx, be sure to visit Rio Salado range in Mesa. If you're near the center of town, then head north to Ben Avery - the nation's largest public shooting range. I'm sure you know by now that your WA permit works here in AZ.

Stuff to see? The Grand Canyon, if your schedule permits. By late May things are warming up, so getting up into high country is a good thing to do. If your tastes run to things natural, drive up the Beeline Highway toward Payson and the Mogollon Rim. The Natural Land Bridge (rock formation) is a fun way to spend several hours, but check on line to make sure it's open before you head that way (tight budget is forcing some parks to close). If you like hiking, South Mountain, Pinnacle Peak, Piestawa Peak and Camelback all have trails of varying difficulty. To the east, there are the Lost Dutchman and Peralta trails. You could also drive the Apache Trail out toward the Roosevelt Dam, and stop for a cold one in Tortilla Flats (pop. 12). Those are just off the top of my (shiny) head...
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be staying in Peoria, but will probably plan ahead of time, pack my schedule, and get around a lot so I can see and do lots of things.

I'm very much a nature/science person. I want to set aside most of a day to do a hike somewhere and collect insects along the way (amateur entomologist).

A bit of range time would be nice if I can fit it into my schedule. Would probably do it on a Tuesday or Wednesday while my host is at work. We're working on making a schedule right now. I'll see what happens.

OK, Peoria is on the west side... I'm not too familiar with events over that way, but Ben Avery is right up I-17 from there. Go find their web site and maybe there will be some fun events on your free evenings. Over at Rio Salado they have "Tuesday Night Steel" which is run as an informal USPSA shoot. Four stages, about 25 rounds each, and $12 to enter for non-members. Loads of fun!

You might also research the Phoenix Botanical Gardens to see what they off that might be of interest to you.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

If you like nature, Phoenix has a nice zoo Phoenix Zoo. I have a guest pass built into my membership. The Desert Botanical Gardens is just up the road from the zoo. We need to renew our memberships so I just may have a free pass for that too.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Get out of Phoenix, come up and see the Grand Canyon (north rim) and Lake Powell...
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

Sponsored Links