Central Iowa IDPA! - Wolf Creek IDPA - Trear, IA

This is a discussion on Central Iowa IDPA! - Wolf Creek IDPA - Trear, IA within the Member Meeting Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Our season opener will be on Sunday, March 27th The stage diagrams have been floating around, expect just under 100 rounds for the pistol side ...

Thread: Central Iowa IDPA! - Wolf Creek IDPA - Trear, IA

JD [OP]
    Administrator

Central Iowa IDPA! - Wolf Creek IDPA - Trear, IA

Our season opener will be on Sunday, March 27th

The stage diagrams have been floating around, expect just under 100 rounds for the pistol side match, the optional precision rifle stage is done.

There isn't too much movement in the pistol match in case the ground is still overly soggy but it should be a great match to knock the dust off.

As usual, sign is at 09:00, safety brief at 09:30, shooting starts @ 10:00.

Shooters will need 1 handgun, minimum three magazines or speed loaders, holster, ammunition carrier, eye & ear protection and one "cover garment" (thing vest, jacket, etc.) that covers the holstered gun and ammunition when arms held parallel to the ground.

Pistol match costs $15.00, the optional rifle side match is an extra $5.00. There are no additional club dues or fees.

Matches are usually done around 1pm if not sooner.

And to clarify regarding the previous posted schedule, every month has a pistol match prior to the special side match, rim fire, steel challenge, rifle, shotgun etc.

See WolfCreekTraining.net for more details.

2. Remove Ads

It looks like some fun stages - weather and work permitting, I'm may head up from KC.

Joe

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by raytracer View Post
    It looks like some fun stages - weather and work permitting, I'm may head up from KC.

Joe
    It would be great to see some more "faces" from DC, HK Dan and Low Dog are members here that shoot up there regularly and welcomed me to the fold when we moved here.

Matches are held in Traer, IA

What is your new shooter procedure?

It looks like I may make it, and I have a friend in Des Moines that I've been trying to get introduced to IDPA. I do our club's new shooter orientation, so I'm sure I'd give him the same run down prior to coming up. What else would he need to do as a new shooter?

Thanks,
    Joe

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by raytracer View Post
    What is your new shooter procedure?

It looks like I may make it, and I have a friend in Des Moines that I've been trying to get introduced to IDPA. I do our club's new shooter orientation, so I'm sure I'd give him the same run down prior to coming up. What else would he need to do as a new shooter?

Thanks,
    Joe
    Just run him over the basic rules, other than that just stress safety/good gun handling and not to try and go faster than he's capable of.

And don't shoot the horses, chickens may be fair game though...

We're supposed to have more than a couple new faces so I'm sure they'll go in detail before hand. Also, remind him to tell the ROs before each stages that he's new.

Sounds good. Weather is starting to look a little iffy - but I'll be up one of these weekends for sure.

A friend of mine has a similar policy at his home range: you shoot a horse and you're in deep doo-doo. If you shoot one of the #$@ goats, it's free lunch for everybody!

Also reminds me of another backyard range. We had a carbine class there and when all the pickup trucks showed up in the morning, the cows thought it was feeding time. Once we ignored them though, they wandered off quickly enough. Except for one who took a shine to me and followed me around like a puppy dog all day. She'd back off a bit - surprisingly little, though - while we were shooting, but as soon as we stopped she'd go right back to shadowing me.

Joe

Hey Ray! We have a pretty extensive new shooter brief. We cover the basic rules and range commands, and then get a little into recommended practices. In our group nobody will volunteer information ("Hey, your grip sucks, try this...etc) but if asked will help. We let them know that too. If you have questions ASK. We also put them under the wing of an experienced shooter for the first match or two. We have an unusually high number of SOs, so usually they are with a certified safety officer who can answer questions correctly.

Come on up, we'll buy ya a steak. We shoot on the 4th Sunday of each month, and we see a LOT of new people.

Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

I will have to look into the shoots in trade ia, please keep us posted here. Closer to the home front does anyone know when and what time the idea matches in Boone ia are held?
    Thank you
    M1aspring at gmail.com
    T
    Last edited by JD; May 3rd, 2011 at 09:00 PM.

Links