Arizona ranges...

This is a discussion on Arizona ranges... within the Member Meeting Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hey guys I've seen several guys from Arizona commenting on the forums and was hoping for your input. I would like to find a location ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: Arizona ranges...

Arizona ranges...

Hey guys I've seen several guys from Arizona commenting on the forums and was hoping for your input. I would like to find a location that you can practice shooting from concealed carry. Does anyone know of a range or area that it is legal to go out and shoot and pracctice actual CC pratice and drills. Shooting at a paper target straight in front of me is good but would like to practice more real world drills. Prefer locations in the east valley but am open to anything in the Phoenix metro area if thats what it takes. Years ago we would just go out in the desert and shoot but now there are housing develpments everywhere and I'm not sure of legalities of just shooting out in the desert anymore.

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Ads

Here's a place on public land:

33.678506, -111.503894 - Google Maps

It's Forest Road 402, west side of the Beeline Hwy.

Once you drive past the fenced-in parking area, it's a good idea to have decent ground clearance and/or 4WD. If you're careful you could even bring a sedan in there, but there are some soft, sandy spots and some deep ruts to contend with.

PLEASE don't litter if you shoot there, even though lots of slobs do. Shoot on a tarp to capture your brass, and bring trash bags and gloves to pick up after yourselves. If you shoot produce (like melons and citrus fruits) it's OK to leave it there for the critters, but don't leave paper or cardboard behind. Hopefully you'll truck out more than you take in. Our ability to continue shooting on public land depends in large part on how we clean up after ourselves.
    MinistrMalic likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

My other suggestion is to head out to Rio Salado for Tuesday Night Steel matches. It's semi-formal, and you'll see people with skill levels from novice up to Rob Leatham (it's his home range, and yes, he shoots TNS a couple times a month). Any USPSA-legal holster is fine, which includes IWBs. A lot of shooters use their daily carry rigs.

Details here: Tuesday Night Steel
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thanks Smitty I appreciate the reply. From What I can tell it looks like that is the location my brother and I used to pull into and ride our dirtbikes years ago. I don't recognize the large cleared parking areas but as I said it's been probably 8 years or so since I've been out inthat area.

I've been meaning to get out to the Tuesday night steel only trouble I have is the time I need to be there in order to take their initial safetly class in order to participate. I'm in NE Mesa and it's close but just may have to leave work early one tuesday to make the safety class then should be able to drop in more conveniently going forward.

If anyone else knows of other options in the area it would be greatly appreciated thanks!

I know several areas on the west side, and I believe Scottsdale gun club lets you draw from concealment if you qualify for it and use a specific area of the range. At least that's what I read on their site a few wweeks ago. You might also see which ranges offer idpa nights. I know the original Shooters World does.

sent via Tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    The other option gets a bit more involved but it's possible. If you're registered as an instructor with Ben Avery you can rent a range for $7 per shooter for the whole day and they leave you alone. Which seriously means if it's you and a buddy, and you rent it on a Thursday or something, it sets you back $14.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Here's a place on public land:

33.678506, -111.503894 - Google Maps

It's Forest Road 402, west side of the Beeline Hwy.

Once you drive past the fenced-in parking area, it's a good idea to have decent ground clearance and/or 4WD. If you're careful you could even bring a sedan in there, but there are some soft, sandy spots and some deep ruts to contend with.

PLEASE don't litter if you shoot there, even though lots of slobs do. Shoot on a tarp to capture your brass, and bring trash bags and gloves to pick up after yourselves. If you shoot produce (like melons and citrus fruits) it's OK to leave it there for the critters, but don't leave paper or cardboard behind. Hopefully you'll truck out more than you take in. Our ability to continue shooting on public land depends in large part on how we clean up after ourselves.
    I was shooting there Thursday morning

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerB View Post
    I was shooting there Thursday morning
    Missed you by a day - I was there Wednesday morning!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Links