From Wisconsin to Florida

This is a discussion on From Wisconsin to Florida within the Member Meeting Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We are driving from Wisconsin to Florida. I have a Wisconsin CCW. I did a load of research on reprocity and it's still a little ...

Thread: From Wisconsin to Florida

From Wisconsin to Florida

We are driving from Wisconsin to Florida. I have a Wisconsin CCW. I did a load of research on reprocity and it's still a little bit confusing. I realize I can't carry period in Florida. I do know I can have my loaded handgun inside my center console of my truck. When it comes to transporting my loaded gun from my vehicle to my hotel room, do I have to unload it before carrying it in my gun vault? Can I leave it loaded inside the locked box or do I have to take the clip out and the shell in the chamber, give that to my wife and then carry the vault? Thanks for any help!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    RV/Car Carry Without A Permit/License
    790.25 Lawful Ownership, Possession, and Use of Firearms and Other Weapons
    (5) Possession in Private Conveyance.--Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation
    of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for selfdefense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm
    or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein
    contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance
    when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize
    the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally
    construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including
    lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.
    790.001 Definitions.-- As used in this chapter, except where the context otherwise requires:
    (17) "Securely encased" means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a
    gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid
    or cover to be opened for access
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Glocked View Post
    When it comes to transporting my loaded gun from my vehicle to my hotel room, do I have to unload it before carrying it in my gun vault? Can I leave it loaded inside the locked box or do I have to take the clip out and the shell in the chamber, give that to my wife and then carry the vault? Thanks for any help!
    Loaded in the lock box, or unloaded in luggage. Both work.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    We are on our way from Florida to Wisconsin, via a stop in IL. I'd like to know why WI. Doesn't have reciprocity with FL.?

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Wisconsin is relatively new to CC. Maybe they're still making reciprocity agreements.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    We are on our way from Florida to Wisconsin, via a stop in IL. I'd like to know why WI. Doesn't have reciprocity with FL.?
    Wisconsin will only recognize permits from other states only if those states use a similar background check to that used in Wisconsin. Wisconsin DOJ conducts the background check using the NICS database. In Florida, the Dept. of Agriculture handles the permitting process and since that isn't a law enforcement agency, it doesn't have access to the NICS database. Florida will only honor another state's permit, if that state honors Florida. Since Wisconsin doesn't honor Florida's permit, Florida won't honor Wisconsin's permit.

Thanks for the input!

VIP Member
    I need to get going on my FL permit. Make sure to encourage others in WI to get the WI permits going.

Links