Goochland, VA Bd of Supervisors 9/20

This is a discussion on Goochland, VA Bd of Supervisors 9/20 within the Member Meeting Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; [Re-posted from a VA-ALERT with prior approval of VCDL] [First person singular pronouns (I, my, mine, etc) and PVC reference Philip Van Cleave, President VCDL] ...

Thread: Goochland, VA Bd of Supervisors 9/20

VIP Member

Goochland, VA Bd of Supervisors 9/20

[Re-posted from a VA-ALERT with prior approval of VCDL]

[First person singular pronouns (I, my, mine, etc) and PVC reference Philip Van Cleave, President VCDL]

Big turnout needed to support County approval of a sporting clays range in Goochland! Antis will be there

A LOSS

Several years ago Andrew Dyker tried to get approval from Goochland County for his Orapax hunting preserve to have a commercial sporting clays area. As most of you are painfully aware, we need more ranges for people who don't have large parcels of land to be able to shoot on. More and more there are restrictions and land zoning that are not conducive to ranges.

Thanks to a large turnout by VCDL, the last Board of Supervisors vote several years ago was close, but, in the end, gun owners and the Dykers lost that round.

A VICTORY

Flash forward to the 2011 elections.

Gun rights were one of the rallying cries during that election for Goochland Countys five-member Board of Supervisors seats. EVERY Supervisor on the Board who OPPOSED allowing sporting clays shooting at a well established 30-year-old range that is over **700 acres** in size (Orapax), was summarily UNELECTED by concerned citizens! YES!

THE NEXT STEP

Goochland County now has a new pro-individual-rights Board of Supervisors. The Andrew Dykers has put his case forward again for the new Board to hear. Andrew's request for a permit for a sporting clays range will be heard by the Goochland Planning Commission on Thursday, September 20th, where it will be voted on and then passed on to the Board of Supervisors for a final vote on October 2nd.

VCDL can push this through with a overwhelming show of support at both the September 20th planning commission meeting and the October 2nd Board meeting. Both are important dates and will send a message that change comes from those who stand up for their rights at the voting booth!

THE OPPOSITION WILL BE PUTTING UP A FIGHT

The opposition will be at those meetings, too. One of them has hired a company to create a professional-grade video to try and sway the vote AGAINST Orapax!

Here is the video. It is slick and shrewdly crafted to prey on the fears, phobias, and prejudices of those who are not gun owners:

Unthinkable - YouTube

MEETING DETAILS

The Planning Commission meets on September 20th, at 7:00 PM, in the Goochland Administration Building, at the north corner of the junction of Rt. 6 and Rt. 522.

LET'S ROLL!

Let's stand up in the face of the anti-liberty crowd and GET THIS RANGE APPROVED!

I'll be there around 6:30 PM to start handing out Guns Save Lives stickers.

Be sure to let any friends, family, and co-workers from Goochland know about the meeting and encourage them to show up, too.
    VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL).

VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.

VCDL web page: http://www.vcdl.org [http://www.vcdl.org/]

BTW, in Virginia, it is legal to carry at a County Administration Building -- Open or (with a recognized permit) Concealed.

VCDL does not take a position on Open vs. Concealed carry -- or even care if you attend w/o carrying. It's your call.

However, safety mishaps, particularly with firearms, expose the organization to liability issues and could significantly damage VCDL's credibility as a gun rights organization. Therefore loaded firearms should not be handled at such meetings -- they should remain holstered or otherwise secured at all times.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member

Update:

[First person singular pronouns (I, my, mine, etc) and PVC reference Philip Van Cleave, President VCDL]

I was interviewed by WTVR, Channel 6, in Richmond (CBS Affiliate) last night.

The battle is going to be a heated one, so turnout will be very, very important on September 20th, when the Goochland Planning Commission meets.

Channel 6 is "sounding the alarm" that gun-rights advocates are getting involved in the sporting clays range issue, as if that is a bad thing!

One interesting note on my comments in the interview: the first thing you always do before the interview formally starts, but while the camera is rolling, is to give your name, spell it, and then provide your affiliation. This is really done for two reasons: 1) to check the microphone audio and 2) so that they spell your name and give your affiliation correctly when they do the story.

For some reason, which has never been done before, they used that in the story - perhaps to fill in some time. So you see me speaking very slowwwwly and methodically giving my title and group affiliation. I sound like a robot. ;-)

In the story they show a close up of some gun owners shooting at clay pigeons and the reporter says, "This is what sporting clays sound like."

Yes, at 10 feet away! The range is over ONE MILE from the nearest home, sitting on SEVEN-HUNDRED ACRES.

Interesting how the neighbors are saying it is an issue of "respect," all the while they are disrespecting Mr. and Mrs. Dykers.

This sounds like a typical, "Not in my backyard!" response. But highways, airports, and shooting ranges are all needed and have to be in somebody's backyard.

From WTRV.com: Gun rights advocates support proposed sporting clays range | WTVR.com [VIDEO]

GOOCHLAND COUNTY, Va. (WTVR) In the midst of an election its not political signs lining Dogtown Road in Goochland. But, rather protest signs against plans to build a sporting clays range a little more than a mile away from some of the homes.

We are trying to convince the [Goochland] Planning Commission and the [Goochland] Board of Supervisors that this is not the thing to do because of the noise [a sporting clays range] will create, said resident Tucker Hill.

Andrew Dykers and his wife Nancy who own Orapax, a hunting preserve, applied for the sporting clays permit.

Nancy Dykers who did not want to appear on camera tells CBS 6 she doesnt believe neighbors will hear the sporting clays gunfire because its more than a mile away from the neighbors who are complaining.

Still, some residents say they still hear the gunshots from the preserve, and Amy Galloway, whose property backs up to the hunting preserve separated by a tin wall erected by the Dykers, says she will definitely hear the sporting clays gunfire.

To hear it echo off of a tin wall is disgraceful, said Galloway.

While neighbors feel they have a county ordinance on their side claiming the sporting clays range would disrupt their comfort and hurt property values., the Dykers have the gun rights advocates on their side.

Two websites are encouraging gun owners to attend the hearing on the issue: Defense Carry and Virginia Gun Trader.

Philip Van Cleave, president of the Virginia Citizens Defense League supports the Dykers.

Its a way for citizens who dont have enough land of their own to go somewhere to do this, he said.

But Hill, who says the majority of residents of who oppose the sporting clays range are hunters, says this has nothing to do with gun rights.

Its about someone who wants to put a facility regardless of what his neighbors think, he said.

The Dykers have been denied a permit for a sporting clays range twice by the Goochland Board of Supervisors. But, Nancy Dykers says this time the range is a little farther away from the homes than in years past although she couldnt tell me how much farther away. Whats more, Dykers says she and her husband want the sporting clays range and have the right to have one.

Meanwhile, residents are creating a website to support their cause.

The hearing before the Goochland Planning Commission is set for September 20th.

VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.

-----------------

If you live in the area, pitch in.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member

Round II

Anyone who supports the RKBAs is a welcome guest.

Round II of Goochland County Planning Commission meeting on sporting clays range on October 18

The Goochland Planning Commission is scheduled to have their next (and hopefully, the final) hearing on the proposed Orapax sporting clay range. A room full of range supporters would be very helpful.

The meeting is Thursday, October 18 at 7:00 PM at the Goochland government building at:

1800 Sandy Hook Road (intersection of Rt. 522 & Rt. 6)
    Goochland, VA 23063

Carry is OK.

I'll have the usual rolls of Guns Save Lives stickers. See you there!

Announcement of meeting:

District 2

CU-2012-00005 Application filed by Andrew & Nancy Dykers requesting a Conditional Use Permit to allow shooting ranges located on Assessors Parcel No. 41-1-0-4-0 (GPIN 6747-47-8303). The property is located at 3831 River Road West approximately .3 miles east of Rock Castle Road (Route 600) and consists of 672.6 acres of which four (4) acres will be used for the shooting range. The Conditional Use Permit is required by Article 2, Section 3.35 of the County Zoning Ordinance. The Comprehensive Plan shows this area suitable for rural enhancement area.

Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member

Goochland hearing on sporting clays range DELAYED

I have just received word that the Goochland County Planning Commission hearing on the proposed sporting clays range (Orapax) has been POSTPONED until November because the 4th (!) sound study could not be done in time for Thursday's meeting.

I will advise once there is a firm date for the Planning Commission hearing on Orapax.

I also just received a copy of an email the opposition is putting out. Apparently at the last meeting, they purposely got there early so as to take up all the main seating, driving those supporting the range into the overflow rooms (to mute our voices).

Here is the salient part (notice how we are called "shooting rights people" by the opposition, yet they claimed at the last hearing to support the RKBA):

Joanne Baldwin sent this link to Deita--Once again those from outside the county are trying to persuade our county government to allow something that would destroy the peace of our neighborhood. Last time, we got there early, so that we took up most of the seats in the room and the shooting rights people had to sit in overflow. Let's do it again! The meeting starts at 6:30PM on Thursday. Let's get there around 5:30 so that our side can all get a seat in the main room.

Just remember their tactic when the hearing date is set in November. I'll be there plenty early.

Oh, and those outside the county who want their voices heard will be bringing much needed business to the county.

Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Links