[Re-posted from a VA-ALERT with prior approval of VCDL

First person singular pronouns (I, my, mine, etc) and “PVC” reference Philip Van Cleave, President VCDL]

Lobby Day coming - important information (including a bus available from Roanoke)

Lobby Day is Monday, January 21, from 9 AM to 12 Noon. It is at the General Assembly Building at 9th and Broad streets in Richmond. It's a well coordinated, fun morning and we need as big a turnout as we can possibly get.

It is a holiday, so you can park on the street without having to feed the meter. There are also parking garages all around the area.

For those in the Roanoke area - the Tea Party has a bus coming and there is still room! They welcome VCDL members and they need a few more people so they can cover the cost of the bus. A great chance to share ideas with like-minded citizens. Tickets can be bought here:

Citizen Lobby Day 2013 | Roanoke Tea Party

--

Lest you not realize the threat that we are under, see the next item..., to get an idea.

Be there! Get the day off now!

EM Bob Sadtler, who is doing a great job in organizing the lobbying team leaders, wants me to ask you to bring a pad and pencil to take notes with. It is invaluable to have notes from all possible perspectives.

He recommends that everyone dress at least business casual. Look respectable, you'll be respected.

SEE YOU THERE!
[I, DaveH, plan to be there as a team leader, yet again, and would love to have any of the DC forum members that come introduce themselves / join my team, which will has been assigned and is scheduling meetings with the offices of:

Sen. Puckett, district38@senate.virginia.gov

Sen. Watkins, district10@senate.virginia.gov

Sen. Puller, district36@senate.virginia.gov

Del. Rush, DelNRush@house.virginia.gov

Del. O. Ware, DelOWare@house.virginia.gov

Del. Morris, DelRMorris@house.virginia.gov

Del. I. O'Quinn, DelIOQuinn@house.virginia.gov

Del. Crockett-Stark, DelACrockett-Stark@house.virginia.gov

Del. Rust, DelTRust@house.virginia.gov

Del. Hodges, DelKHodges@house.virginia.gov

They range from three who answered the VCDL Candidate Survey 100% ProRKBA (and have cast no votes that I know of to betray that) to, the unremarkable to the worthless.]

More
re-posted from a VA-ALERT:

Anti-gun bills in the hopper for the General Assembly

Taking advantage of the blood of dead children, the antis think they have a chance to finally get some gun control passed in Virginia based on a wave of strong emotions.

You can see some of the really bad bills that are already filed below.

From the timesdispatch.com: Host of gun bills await legislators in upcoming session - Richmond Times-Dispatch: Virginia News:

Host of gun bills [DaveH: good and bad] await legislators in upcoming session

BY ANDREW CAIN Richmond Times-Dispatch

Gov. Bob McDonnell has established a task force to review school and campus safety in Virginia after the mass shooting in Connecticut. He has ordered the group to send him its initial recommendations by Jan. 31 so that he and lawmakers can consider the ideas in the General Assembly session that starts Jan. 9.

A separate work group, headed by Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli and Dr. Bill Hazel, the state’s secretary of Health and Human Resources, is reviewing issues related to mental health.

While lawmakers have until Jan. 19 to introduce bills for the upcoming session, legislators in both parties already have announced or introduced a host of gun bills. For example:

• Del. Joseph D. Morrissey, D-Henrico, says he will introduce legislation to ban the sale of assault-style weapons and large-capacity magazines.

• Sen. David W. Marsden, D-Fairfax, has introduced legislation to make gun owners civilly liable if their weapons are stolen and used in the commission of a crime that results in death or injury and they “failed to take adequate care and control” to prevent the theft. He filed a second bill that would establish a $250 penalty for failing to report the theft of one’s gun.

• Republicans in the House of Delegates say they want to boost funding to encourage more school resource officers in elementary schools. School resource officers are certified local law enforcement officers who are posted in public schools in the state. Terry McAuliffe, the presumptive Democratic nominee for governor, has called for legislation to help localities provide school resource officers for elementary schools that request it.

• Del. Robert G. Marshall, R-Prince William, says he will introduce legislation that would require school boards to arrange for some school employees to receive the Virginia State Police standard of firearm safety and competency training.

• Del. Anne B. Crockett-Stark, R-Wythe, has filed a “castle doctrine” bill that would provide civil immunity for people who use deadly force against an intruder.

• Sen. Janet D. Howell, D-Fairfax, says she will introduce legislation to close the so-called gun-show loophole in which private purchasers can buy guns from private sellers without undergoing a background check.

• Del. Luke E. Torian, D-Prince William, has introduced a bill that would delete some firearms safety courses that now satisfy the competency requirement to qualify for a concealed-weapon permit. The bill requires that certain firearms safety courses that satisfy the requirement focus primarily on the use and handling of a concealed handgun.

• Del. James M. Scott, D-Fairfax, has introduced a bill that would bar any person who is convicted of stalking, sexual battery, or assault and battery of a family member that results in serious bodily injury from possessing, transporting, or carrying a firearm or any other weapon for five years after conviction.

• Sen. Phillip P. Puckett, D-Russell, introduced a bill that provides an exemption for any retired correctional officer with at least 15 years of service from any fee charged for the issuance of a concealed-handgun permit.

VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL).

VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.

VCDL web page: http://www.vcdl.org [http://www.vcdl.org/]

[DaveH -- Join us if you can!]