Competitive shooters?

Competitive shooters?

This is a discussion on Competitive shooters? within the Member Meeting Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I want to see how many of you folks shoot competitively. By that I mean, in some type of tounament or match, whether nationally sanctioned ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Competitive shooters?

Question Competitive shooters?

I want to see how many of you folks shoot competitively. By that I mean, in some type of tounament or match, whether nationally sanctioned or just for fun at a local gun club, where scores are kept.

So if you shoot pistols, rifles, muzzle loaders, archery, skeet, trap, sporting clays, cowboy action, cannons......anything competetively, let's hear about it.

I do shoot competetively sometimes, and will post more on that once I see if any of you folks are interested in this topic.

Until then, you can try to guess what kind of shooting I do, and there will be a $10,000,000.00 prize if you can guess. Not really!

If this is not the appropriate place to post this subject, please move it, becuase I'm not sure.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Assistant Administrator
    I think here will do.

I shoot IDPA but not as much as I would like. Trouble is in summer months many weekend shoots compete with bike runs or flying RC.

Depending on weather - the shoot does not always win!

I enjoy competitive shooting tho - in fact any practice is worthwhile and even if at range alone - I set challenges.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

IDPA/IPSC with EDC gun and gear (Glock 17)
    Sniper Competition (started this year) GAP Rock .308 bolt gun

Silhouette air pistol, .22 pistol and rifle. Shot IPSC a few years ago.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

VIP Member
    IDPA & some unusual South Florida Tactical Carbine matches
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I have been shooting IDPA for about a year and a half and really enjoy it. I am lucky enough that within 1 1/2 hours drive I can shoot 3 matches a month plus I can shoot a match indoors every wednesday night.

I shoot a G34 in SSP, A SA 1911 in CDP and a S&W 10 in SSR.

OK. It looks like only five of you are in the running for the $10 million, so I'll fess up.

My competitive shooting is in sporting clays. Did anyone guess that??? I would love to do IDPA or long range rifle competition and plan to one day. My wife wants to get into some cowboy action shooting and I wouldn't mind trying that too. I just simply don't have the funds for any of those right now.

Centerfire ammo is just out of my budget. After the initial investment in a good gun, clays shooting is cheap as long as you stay out of the big shoots. Shells are $3 or $4 per box and entry fee is only around $20. So, it's the only competitive stuff I can afford right now.

Plus, I'm an avid (my wife says obsessed) bird hunter and bird dog trainer/breeder.That's my hobby, not my job; though I used to be a full time guide, and still do some work with my dogs on a local preserve on weekends.

Shooting sporting clays tournaments during the summer months has improved my bird shooting dramatically and it's fun. My wife and dad and some other friends and family all shoot a non-sanctioned shoot once a month at a local gun club.Once in a while we go on a trip to some other places out of the area. I have been successful a few times and my daughter cherishes the trophies when any of us brings one home occasionally.

Well, that's my story. Lets hear some more.
    Last edited by sgtD; November 6th, 2006 at 11:52 PM. Reason: More posting

sgtD-
    As I said, I shoot silhouette in air pistol, .22 rifle and .22 pistol. Talk about cheap! Try air pistol! A Daisy 747 runs $150 (has a Walthers barrel), and will shoot one pellet hole all day at 10 yards. If you miss, it's your fault, and there is no sound or recoil. A perfect way to perfect your accuracy. Great pellets are $6-8 per 500, and you can do it in your garage (or in the house if you have a VERY understanding wife). My 2 cents!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

I shoot in the USPSA/IPSC Production Division. Also shoot in a very informal league at the local range.

Great fun!

I'm trying to find the means to take up Stock Service Revolver. It's more confusing now that they've separated the moonclip fed guns from those using rimmed cartridges in a conventional cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by swiftyjuan View Post
    sgtD-
    As I said, I shoot silhouette in air pistol, .22 rifle and .22 pistol. Talk about cheap! Try air pistol! A Daisy 747 runs $150 (has a Walthers barrel), and will shoot one pellet hole all day at 10 yards. If you miss, it's your fault, and there is no sound or recoil. A perfect way to perfect your accuracy. Great pellets are $6-8 per 500, and you can do it in your garage (or in the house if you have a VERY understanding wife). My 2 cents!
    I would be interested in smallbore (.22) rifle competition, unfortunately time is also a factor for me right now. I work and go to college full time, and am about to start law school. I'm going to look into the Daisy. Might have to get one.:-)

When my daughter gets older, if she's interested, I would enjoy doing air gun stuff with her. I hope she is.

You're right though, that stuff is even cheaper than sporting clays.

My son and I compete regularly in ICORE and USPSA matches. We try to shoot 3 to 4 matches a month, year round. That keeps the reloading press running pretty hard every week, but it is a great way to spend time with one of my boys.
    Self-reliance, sacrifice and service . . .
    or
    Shoot, shovel and shut-up.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Pinshooting and a little IDPA.

IPSC and ICORE. I'd like to get into 3 gun also.

I shoot USPSA and a bit of ICORE. I really enjoy shooting 3 gun Heavy Metal.

I shot skeet and sporting clays until I burned out on both. I've also shot some flyers but that's really cost prohibitive!

Years ago I used the Airedales to guide on a friends preserve. I guided about two seasons. Both old Duke and Dolly (both now deceased from old age)had birdshot from head to tail from "hunters" shooting low flyers. It became too risky, for me and the dogs, to continue guiding.

Dave

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links