Public Range clean up -- SWVA, April 8th & 9th

This is a discussion on Public Range clean up -- SWVA, April 8th & 9th within the Member Meeting Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; [Re-posted from a VA-ALERT with prior approval of VCDL. First person singular pronouns (I, my, mine, etc) and PVC reference Philip Van Cleave, President VCDL] ...

Thread: Public Range clean up -- SWVA, April 8th & 9th

VIP Member

[Re-posted from a VA-ALERT with prior approval of VCDL. First person singular pronouns (I, my, mine, etc) and PVC reference Philip Van Cleave, President VCDL]

To follow up on gun owners' recent success in Craig County in making sure the Potts Slope range stays open, we are now seeking volunteers for two separate clean-up days for our public ranges. The Blacksburg Range will be closed for us to clean on Monday, April 8th. The Potts Slope Range (a.k.a Potts Mountain Range) will be closed for us to clean on Tuesday, April 9th. Both clean-up days will begin at 9:00am and, per the Forest Service's recreation program manager, volunteers are asked to bring their own gloves and safety glasses if they have them. There should be extra pairs of gloves and safety glasses available on site just in case. Long sleeves are recommended for working in the brush around the lanes. If you have a rake, please bring it, but it is recommended to mark yours to prevent confusion with others'.

Also, donations to the range are greatly appreciated. Per the Eastern Divide District Ranger, Cindy Schiffer: "We'd like to see a good group of volunteers come and help complete a major cleaning , replace chicken wire and metal posts, patch bullet holes and repair other vandalism, and so on. We'd make a list ahead of time. We close the Blacksburg Range every Monday for cleaning/maintenance and will be closing the Potts Slope Range on Tuesday for the same purpose. So the major cleaning/maintenance/refurbish dates remaining in 2013 would be April 8/9. July 8/9, October 14/15. If we get enough donations we would probably use one of these 3 dates to do some sound abatement work."

If you would like to volunteer, please RSVP to John Wilburn at: john.wilburn@vcdl.org. We would like a head count to know about how many to expect. Donations should have checks made payable to "USDA Forest Service" and mailed to:

Eastern Divide Ranger Station
    110 South Park Drive
    Blacksburg VA 24060.

On the check in the memo area put "Range Donation from VCDL member."

VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL).

VCDL is a non-partisan grassroots organization dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.

VCDL web page: http://www.vcdl.org

----------------

Dave Hicks back here.

Background:

An anti-RKBA tried to get the USFS ranges closed because they alleged that:

1) they were too noisy,

2) they were trashy.

VCDL and others fought to keep them open.

1) test showed that at the nearest homes the road noise was louder than the range noise,

2) We agreed to do periodic clean-up days.

The USFS agreed.

[A personal aside here -- if the anti-RKBA doesn't like / go to the range what difference does it make to them if they are not picked-up all that well. That said I do agree that they could use a trash pick-up day from time to time and we are the users.]

I have a conflict with Tuesday, but plan to be there Monday. If you can drop by, look be up.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member

Thumbs up Good Newspaper coverage

Volunteers pick up loads of trash from shooting range | OurValley.org

Friday, April 26, 2013

Volunteers pick up loads of trash from shooting range

By Gwen Johnson

CRAIG COUNTY About a dozen volunteers turned out to pick up Bobcat loads of trash at the popular Potts Slope Shooting Range. The range is located one-half mile off Rt. 311 in Craig County and the volunteers were helping with a quarterly clean-up day on April 9 scheduled by Eastern Divide District Ranger Cindy Schiffer.

SNIP
    My good friend and fellow VCDL Executive Member John Wilburn organized both clean-ups.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Sponsored Links