8/2-3/13 -- Into the lion's den, again: Blacksburg, Va.

This is a discussion on 8/2-3/13 -- Into the lion's den, again: Blacksburg, Va. within the Member Meeting Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Once again, we go into the lion's den of antis in SWVA -- albeit a different venue / event, this time. Drop by and say ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By DaveH

Thread: 8/2-3/13 -- Into the lion's den, again: Blacksburg, Va.

VIP Member

8/2-3/13 -- Into the lion's den, again: Blacksburg, Va.

Once again, we go into the lion's den of antis in SWVA -- albeit a different venue / event, this time.

Drop by and say "hello" or help hand out GSL stickers, or maybe win a Glock 19.

I'll be there. Love to meet you.

-----

Re-posted from a VA-ALERT with prior approval of VCDL.

VCDL to have booth at huge "Steppin' out" festival in Blacksburg on August 2 and 3! Help needed.

Mark your calendars for Blacksburg’s 33rd annual Steppin’ Out downtown festival, Friday August 2nd and Saturday August 3rd!

VCDL will have two spaces in Community Connections and we need volunteers to staff the spaces from 10:00 am until 8:00 pm each day. No experience necessary!

This event is very large and we will need 6-7 volunteers at a time to run things effectively. Please coordinate your shift with John Wilburn: john.wilburn@vcdl.org.

There will be a raffle for a Glock 19 with tickets sold at the event. Winner must be legally eligible and pass both federal and state background checks. Tickets are $3 each or two for $5 and the proceeds will benefit VCDL.

Steppin’ Out’s website with parking information:

Steppin' Out - Blacksburg's Annual Street Festival

Here is a video clip from Steppin’ Out 2010 for those who haven’t been before. It’s a good representation of the festival.

Steppin' Out 2010 - YouTube

Shamefully, Blacksburg’s mayor, Ron Rordam, is a member of Bloomberg's MAIG: Mayors Against Illegal Guns - Coalition Members

VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL).

VCDL is a non-partisan grassroots organization dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.

VCDL web page: http://www.vcdl.org
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member

Follow-up

[Note: First person singular pronouns (I, my, mine, etc) and “PVC” reference Philip Van Cleave, President VCDL]

VCDL has a booth this year at a large event in Blacksburg called "Steppin' out."

At the event we've been handing out "Guns Save Lives" (GSL) stickers, membership applications, carry cards, and selling some raffle tickets for a Glock handgun. We paid for our booth and have carefully followed all the rules of the event.

Not so for the antis, of course. Upon seeing that VCDL had a booth and was raffling off a handgun, then antis showed up with a sign and a handout and tried to stand in front of our booth to block access - all of that without paying for a booth as we did.

I contacted management and got the antis moved away from our booth (although they were still in front of the booth holding up there sign protesting the raffle).

One of the antis, an older woman, came over and started yelling at one of our woman volunteers and then went over to one of the men, grabbed him, ripped off the GSL sticker he had on his shirt and threw it in his face!

Our member remained calm, but the woman really screwed up - the Blacksburg police had a booth across from us and a couple of officers witnessed the assault and battery. They immediately came over took the woman to their booth and detained her there while they checked to see if our member wanted to press charges against her.

In the end, our member opted not to press charges and the woman was released after being detained for about 15 minutes.

Actually the antis being there was a good thing - I hope they come back on Saturday. The fuss they made over our raffle got the event in the local news - free advertising we couldn't have bought at any price! We were swamped with people wanting to buy tickets. We had figured that we'd sell about 200 tickets over the entire two day event. We had sold that many before by 5 PM the first day! And with all the good press, I expect that today (Saturday) will be an incredible day, with thousands of stickers being handed out and hundreds of raffle tickets sold.

By far most people were supportive and it was a fun day, except for the occasional ranting antis who are willing to yell profanities in front of other people's children. A sad group of angry people.

DELEGATE YOST GOING SOFT ON GUNS?

In the Roanoke Times stories below, Delegate Yost, whose district is in the general area, seems to be distancing himself from gun rights and putting down VCDL. You may want to contact him and let him know his comments are not appreciated and that you expect him to fully support your right to keep and bear arms.

Delegate Yost's phone number is: (540) 577-4984 and his email is: DelJYost@House.virginia.gov
    Also see:

From WDBJ7: http://tinyurl.com/l2baerj [VIDEO]

From the Roanoke Times: Gun raffle upsets some in Blacksburg | roanoke.com

From bluevirginia.com: Blue Virginia:: Extreme Gun Group To Raffle Off Weapon In Blacksburg Identical One Used In Va Tech Shooting

If you fell like it join in the disscussion here, I suspect it will be running for a while:

Gun raffle upsets some in Blacksburg | roanoke.com

Also some comments on Dan Casey's blog mostly at http://tinyurl.com/kuzpgsv
    Rock and Glock and ccw9mm like this.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member

Thumbs up Still more and a fire mission

[Note: First person singular pronouns (I, my, mine, etc) and “PVC” reference Philip Van Cleave, President VCDL]

STEPPIN' OUT - VCDL WAS A STRONG ATTRACTION

The VCDL booth at the Blacksburg "Steppin' Out" festival was a fantastic success! I want to thank all of our great volunteers for their tireless and professional promotion of VCDL at the festival.

Also, I would like to thank the antis! By protesting our booth, they brought us some great media coverage and instead of selling 300 tickets during the two-day show, we sold around 900 tickets, selling out all that we brought with us. Sadly, we had to turn some people away when the tickets ran out.

Our original plan was to finish selling the remaining tickets at various other events, but that's no longer necessary.

I hope the antis continue to protest us! All I ask is they remain peaceful and stop their attempts to intimidate others with violence. That we will not tolerate. The woman that attacked one of our members got extremely lucky that the member did not press charges. The antis had best not count on that kind of a break ever again.

A SPECIAL THANKS TO PAWN PLUS!

A very special thanks to Pawn Plus, 1695 N. Franklin Street, Christiansburg, VA, for the generous donation of the Glock handgun for VCDL to raffle!

AND HERE COME THE LOONS!

People are tired of the antis and their message of gun control they are trying to promote under the guise-du-jour of "gun safety."

The antis are desperate to be relevant and only have their emotions, and no logic or reason, to try to achieve that goal. Thus, they are constantly getting "offended" by one thing or another and screaming about it. All the antis are doing is attempting to use "political correctness" to control the First Amendment rights of groups like VCDL, while twisting the arms of gun-friendly politicians.

While the antis call us the "gun nuts," it is ironically they who are deeply fixated on guns. Six years after the tragedy at Virginia Tech, the antis are still trying to blame the exact make and model of the gun that Cho used to murder 32 innocent, helpless people in a gun-free zone. The antis have forgotten about Cho. They have forgotten about mental health issues. All that matters to them is the model number of the tool that a crazy man used, not the crazy man himself. That is, well, crazy.

The gun that was donated to VCDL was one of the most popular guns in America - both with the public and the police: the Glock Model 19. Sadly, that was the make and model of one of the two guns that Cho used. Both the Blacksburg Police and the Virginia Tech Police use Glocks and they are not being called "insensitive" by the antis.

In order to get some attention, the anti-gun loons, without so much as a shred of evidence, are trying to say that VCDL picked that particular gun ON PURPOSE to offend the citizens of Blacksburg.

Oh, baloney. That gun was agreed upon with the intent that we would sell raffle tickets for it at some events later in the month. The Model 19 was chosen for its popularity, as the fast sale of raffle tickets proved. To our pleasant surprise, we received the donation quicker than we thought we would! We had just enough time to squeeze the raffle into the Steppin' Out event and rushed to do so. The rest is now history.

Did we consider that that was the same model as the one that Cho used? No, it didn't even cross our minds as we don't tend to fixate on irrelevant trivia. It's time for the antis to stop squeezing that tragedy for everything that it's worth.

Here's a question for the loons: What would VCDL possibly have to gain by intentionally offending the citizens of Blacksburg?

And another couple of questions: if the citizens of Blacksburg felt that the Glock 19 was offensive, why did we sell 900 tickets and have to turn people away when we ran out? Why did we hand out thousands of "Guns Save Lives" stickers to people asking for them? Those stickers were on people everywhere you looked. No doubt there was a nice "bump" in attendance at Steppin' Out because of that raffle.

Let's go to the heart of the matter: the VCDL booth was constantly busy - we were a hit and it drove the antis nuts! People were so offended that there were NO protestors on Saturday. (The three or four antis on Friday only stayed until around 5 PM and disappeared. Meanwhile, VCDL members continued to run the VCDL booth on Friday until 8 PM, when we had to close and send those still wanting tickets and stickers away for the night.)

AND LET'S NOT FORGET SOME OF THE POLITICAL LOONS

Anti-liberty Democratic Senator Mark Herring, who is running against pro-liberty Senator Mark Obenshain to be Virginia's Attorney General, is sure sounding awfully shrill for a man:

Attorney general race heats up over gun raffle | Augusta Free Press - Waynesboro, Va., Local News

As is anti-liberty James Harder, who is a Democrat running against Yost:

Candidate for the 12th HOD district shocked at gun raffle | Roanoke Free Press

ACTION ITEM!

The antis were complaining to the Steppin' Out management about VCDL's presence. Let's not take that laying down! Take a few seconds to contact the Steppin' Out management and let them know that you are pleased that VCDL was at the event.

Email addresses/phone:

events@downtownblacksburg.com, dbi@downtownblacksburg.com

Phone number: (540) 951-0454

Suggested message (please feel free to modify as you see fit):

Dear Ms. Blakemore and Ms. Warren,

I wanted to thank Downtown Blacksburg, Inc. for having the Virginia Citizens Defense League at the last "Steppin' Out" event! Their attendance was a great opportunity to reach out to the public in order to protect an important civil right.

[YOUR NAME]

Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Links