United Kingdom: Where to practice?

This is a discussion on United Kingdom: Where to practice? within the Member Meeting Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; If you've been stalking me, you've noticed I changed my location to the U.K. It goes without saying that the biggest thing that I miss ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Gearhead
  • 2 Post By buckeye .45
  • 1 Post By Zralou

Thread: United Kingdom: Where to practice?

If you've been stalking me, you've noticed I changed my location to the U.K. It goes without saying that the biggest thing that I miss about the United States is guns. Since I'm going to be here for a while, I want to find some way to keep in practice. This being Great Britain, there aren't gun stores and shooting ranges on every street corner, and none of the locals have any idea where I should go for target practice or even clay pigeon shooting. (I did find a place online that offered clay shooting, but it was expensive and only for groups of 10 or more.)

Surely some forum members have been in a similar situation. To the best of your knowledge, What is the most cost-effective way to get shooting practice in the U.K.?

If it helps, I'm about an hour away from Manchester and Birmingham.

I'm not sure if this is in the correct part of the forum--it didn't seem to fit very well into the other categories.
    You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass. --Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
    If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. --Albert Einstein
    You taught us to imagine, and we imagined your irrelevance! --Dalek Caan

You might check with the royal family. They always seem to be surrounded by people who have guns. One of them must know something.
    StormRhydr likes this.

Holland & Holland operates a shop in London, and they have a range somewhere.

I would contact them, and see what sort of guidance/input they can provide. I would imagine they know the shooting culture in the U.K. about as well as anyone.
    Sister and StormRhydr like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Just drive around the streets of Moss Side in Manchester on a friday or saturday night, plenty of shooting going on around there.

Sara Lou
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Just because i'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me....

Is airgunning an option for you?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Slim pickin's in the UK now. I'm on my way out the door to work a gun show this weekend but shoot me a PM and I may can put you in touch with someone there who could give you some pointers. He's located in West Yorkshire so is little more than an hour away from Manchester but it may be in the other direction from your location. He just retired and is traveling some. May be in France for a few weeks/month.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I've been down with the flu for several days, didn't even feel up to checking email until today, so, sorry for my late responses.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Is airgunning an option for you?
    Not really what I'm after, but it's better than nothing. Any idea what renting costs/procedures would be?

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Holland & Holland operates a shop in London, and they have a range somewhere.

I would contact them, and see what sort of guidance/input they can provide. I would imagine they know the shooting culture in the U.K. about as well as anyone.
    Conveniently enough, I'm actually in London this Sunday. I'll see about dropping tomorrow afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    He's located in West Yorkshire so is little more than an hour away from Manchester but it may be in the other direction from your location.
    I really appreciate the offer, but of course, that is in the other direction from me. (Isn't that always how it is?)
    You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass. --Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
    If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. --Albert Einstein

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    You are a perfect example of when laser training becomes the preferred method of training.

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
    You might check with the royal family. They always seem to be surrounded by people who have guns. One of them must know something.
    Oi, that'd be fab. I bloody well tried, but my Oyster card wouldn't open the gates of Buckingham Palace! A copper caught me trying to climb over, but being clever, I just told him I was with Health & Safety. Cheers duck.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo_Hunter View Post
    Cheers duck.[/FONT]
    Thats gotta be Derby / Stoke-on-Trent area....

Sara Lou
    Just because i'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me....

Yep, I'd say Airguns will be your best best in the U.K. Of course, Airguns are also heavily regulated there as well. Europe is just as bad about Airguns.

Quote Originally Posted by Zralou View Post
    Thats gotta be Derby / Stoke-on-Trent area....

Sara Lou
    I sort of blended all the stuff I heard in the West Midlands (well, at least the stuff I could understand...). Except for "Oi", which I've only ever heard in London.

Anyway, on-topic: I forgot to go to Holland & Holland yesterday, but I'm going to an (informal) debate about gun control with some British friends tonight. Might be a good time to ask about airgunning, though. If tonight's discussion is good, I might start a separate thread sharing what I learned.

Cheers!

Links