Local shop treats customers like they don't exist - s. Florida

Local shop treats customers like they don't exist - s. Florida

This is a discussion on Local shop treats customers like they don't exist - s. Florida within the Member Meeting Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Yesterday I was running errands, and decided to drop into a local gun shop/range to see what was around, possibly check out vests (like 5.11 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Local shop treats customers like they don't exist - s. Florida

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar

Post Local shop treats customers like they don't exist - s. Florida

Yesterday I was running errands, and decided to drop into a local gun shop/range to see what was around, possibly check out vests (like 5.11 types, but they didn't have any clothing at all).

This shop is in the West Palm Beach area, and I wanted to alert you all, who might go there, to the fact that although about three or four employees were gathered right near the entrance at the counter, shooting the breeze with a few of what I guessed might be "regulars" (or they might all have been employees), NO ONE APPROACHED ME OR EVEN ACTED LIKE I WAS THERE. Not even when I was standing right in front of the handgun case staring down with a look of intense interest at the XDs and GLOCKS.

I didn't have a whole lot of time anyway, and was getting ready to leave, but I thought it odd, and a bit offensive, that I was shown total disregard by all the staff. I was dressed normally, didn't smell bad... I guess maybe they've sold enough guns this month and really don't need the business.

If you want to know what shop I'm talking about (I won't smear them publicly on an open thread -- that's not the spirit of the forum) I will tell you via PM by request. I just think we should help each other out to know what shops suck and what shops are okay.

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    won't hurt my feelings if they're named by name. They have a responsibility to the customer, after all... or else answer for it.
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    Maybe it's just me but I like this attitude.

I walk into a gunshop and if I want to see something, I ask. But I don't like the over-eager salesmen who feel it's their duty to hover.

A nod or a "Howya' doin'" is nice, but not necessary.

Josh <><

I have noticed the same thing in a local gun shop here. I was going to buy a new Glock and went in and they were just standing around shooting the breeze. Never even said hello hows are you. When I asked about the Glocks it was like I was bothering them. I turned and walked out. Went to another gun shop where they are friendly and at least acknowledge you when you enter.

No, I don't like the overeager salesman approach either but I do like to be acknowledged that I am there, and maybe to spend a lot of money.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

I hate any "business" place like that. Don't get me wrong I don't need my butt kissed just because I'm a customer, but I expect a certain amount of curtesy. My answer to it ? Simple ..... I won't give them my business and I let folks know what I think about em.
    A couple of LGS around here have bad attitudes, That's find..me (and mine) don't want to give you our money anyway. I wouldn't go in if they had a .99 cent sale.

Last edited by Leadslinger; January 6th, 2007 at 09:58 PM.
    A LTTLE TRAINING IS A DANGEROUS THING ....

Assistant Administrator
    There's a balance here - that can be the ideal. Not too attentive and pushy - but, friendly and at very least acknowledge presence with a greeting.

Two shops I can think off - can be pretty busy and I might go in and only available guy is caught on phone - no biggie, I'll wait. I would then tho when that is clear expect some greeting and a bit of ''may I help".

Sometimes it's a case of me saying "just browsing thank you" but for sure - if these places actually want business (and some seem not to!) - then the pleasantries of every day life are required, so you feel a customer and not some dipstick who happens to have walked in, to interrupt the calm of the day!

I am amazed some places stay in business at all - honestly.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua M. Smith View Post
    Maybe it's just me but I like this attitude.

I walk into a gunshop and if I want to see something, I ask. But I don't like the over-eager salesmen who feel it's their duty to hover.

A nod or a "Howya' doin'" is nice, but not necessary.

Josh <><
    Well, maybe I wasn't clear enough or emphatic enough, but:

I got nothin'.

No hello, no how ya doin'?
    I also don't want someone hovering and pushy, but dude, I'd like, at least, a "Let me know if I can help you with something or show you something; I'll be right over here." That's not too much, but I didn't get it.

Oh, I should mention that this is one of the shop/ranges in Palm Beach County that got together with each other to forbid any outside ammunition or targets; if you want to shoot there, you are forced to pay inflated prices. Your hat would fly off to read what they often charge for plain old target ammo.

VIP Member
    It does make one wonder how they stay in business. The shops I've worked in we always say hello and offer to show the customer anything they want. Many times the customer will say just looking and that may or may not be the end of it. However, we would acknowledge every customer in the door.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Most of the time I just barely want to be seen and I'll ask for help if I need it. A hi would suffice for me, any more than that makes going to any store uncomfortable to be in.

Then the opposite extreme when you go to a Home Depot type store and you can't find anyone to help because they are gossiping is enough to make me pay more money at THE Home Depot.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

I too like to be left alone while I window shop but I do expect a nice greeting and a "If you have any questions, feel free to ask."
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    The shop I patronize has a table with cozy chairs surrounding it. They don't really care if you buy anything on a particular day. You can just go and hang out.

They also sell candy bars and cans of pop. It's not unusual for the owner to start tossing candy bars to those of us sitting around, or offering free pop.

Since his competition went out, he has raised prices somewhat, but he was very inexpensive before. The one thing that gets me though is Remington GS Bonded 124gr +P is $21 per 25. I'm not sure if that's high or low, but to fill my mags I'd have to buy two boxes.

If the owner is in a good mood however I'm inclined to at least buy a box of practice ammo.

Josh <><

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Well, maybe I wasn't clear enough or emphatic enough, but:

I got nothin'.

No hello, no how ya doin'?
    I also don't want someone hovering and pushy, but dude, I'd like, at least, a "Let me know if I can help you with something or show you something; I'll be right over here." That's not too much, but I didn't get it.

Oh, I should mention that this is one of the shop/ranges in Palm Beach County that got together with each other to forbid any outside ammunition or targets; if you want to shoot there, you are forced to pay inflated prices. Your hat would fly off to read what they often charge for plain old target ammo.
    Acknowledging patrons is basic customer service. I hate pushy salesmen but I also refuse to shop where I'm treated as if I'm not worthy of their time, a simple "how are you?" will do just fine.

Considering your last paragraph I have to ask, what were you doing in there in the first place? Hopefully just killing time, right?
    Jack

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    Acknowledging patrons is basic customer service. I hate pushy salesmen but I also refuse to shop where I'm treated as if I'm not worthy of their time, a simple "how are you?" will do just fine.

Considering your last paragraph I have to ask, what were you doing in there in the first place? Hopefully just killing time, right?
    Jack
    Well, I know the shop and range involved and the problem, as was pointed out, is that all of the ranges in the area have the same policy. So our choices are to pay the inflated ammo prices and get to practice shooting at a range or not get to practice. We are faced with the classic horns of a dilemma, which ever way we turn, we are going to wind up impaled on one of the horns. The only real question is which is going to be less painful: Pay the inflated ammo prices, or not get to practice. I hate it but that's the way it is in Palm Beach County. Fortunately, I have at least recently found a gun shop near me (no range unfortunately) where the owner is friendly and willing to sell at fair prices.

Ron

That really sucks Ron. No outdoor public ranges close by either? I'll never understand why gun shops of all places would organize to screw over gun owners. I understand business and making a profit but price gouging is wrong no matter who does it. Do they have a Million Moms flyer in their window too? Cause it sure sounds like they're trying to tax ammo out of the public's hands.
    Jack

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    That really sucks Ron. No outdoor public ranges close by either? I'll never understand why gun shops of all places would organize to screw over gun owners. I understand business and making a profit but price gouging is wrong no matter who does it. Do they have a Million Moms flyer in their window too? Cause it sure sounds like they're trying to tax ammo out of the public's hands.
    Jack
    There is an outdoor range where you can bring your own ammo, but it is a good 45 to 50 minutes away, which I could deal with, but the problem is that the closest distance you can set up a target is 30 feet. I like to practice at various distances from 10 feet through 20 to 25 feet, the distance I figure I will be at in a real situation.

Ron

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links