Moving to Phoenix

Moving to Phoenix

This is a discussion on Moving to Phoenix within the Member Meeting Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Its official, I accepted a position today and will be moving to Arizona in 2-3 weeks. I was curious if there is anyone in the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Moving to Phoenix

Moving to Phoenix

Its official, I accepted a position today and will be moving to Arizona in 2-3 weeks. I was curious if there is anyone in the Phoenix area that would be willing to give me a hand with a few things like (deciding what parts of town are good or bad to live in) and things like that.

Thanks!

Chad
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. – Gen James Mattis USMC

VIP Member
    Give Rocky a call.

Great guy, great holsters and a Phoenix resident.

www.purekustomholsters.com
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Welcome to Arizona!
    "I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"

Have not been to Phoenix in a long time but tucchetties pizza place was great kinda of a sports bar with great food

Tokyo Express 51st ave and Indian School Rd. Neighborhood has definitely seen better days. This restaurant started serving quality Japanese food fast. It has evolved into an Asian fusion while maintaining the quality. It is really worth the trip.

I cannot believe how cheap it is to rent a house out there...
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. – Gen James Mattis USMC

Sell all your Colorado sweaters & coats.
    A Wolf does not concern himself with the opinion of sheep.

In what city is your job located? How far are you willing to commute? I guess it is all perspective. It is pretty expensive to rent a home out where I live. You are looking at $1200-1300 minimum for a basic small home.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post
    In what city is your job located? How far are you willing to commute? I guess it is all perspective. It is pretty expensive to rent a home out where I live. You are looking at $1200-1300 minimum for a basic small home.
    My job is in downtown Phoenix in the alliance bank building. I would be willing to commute 25-30 minutes. That is what I am used to here in Denver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member
    Having lived there in the "olden days", I've been traveling back lately a couple of times a month. Just north of downtown near Thomas and Central. It's a funky part of town and might be worth considering depending on life style. Over near Enchanto Park maybe.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by Chad0724 View Post
    My job is in downtown Phoenix in the alliance bank building. I would be willing to commute 25-30 minutes. That is what I am used to here in Denver.
    Arcadia is older but is pretty nice. It is between Scottsdale and Phoenix. Old construction but lots of cool little restaurants and such. If you are single I would look at that or Scottsdale. If you are married/have kids I would look at Chandler South of the 202 or Ahwatukee. I love the Ahwatukee area. It is just on the other side of South mountain from downtown. Quiet, nice area. If you need any help when you get here (or before) getting to know anything just let me know. I live in South Gilbert. About 40 min from downtown but closer to all those areas named. As far as the West valley I'm not sure, never lived there. Maybe someone that knows that area can answer. Good luck!

It's been many years since I lived there, but I lived near west 43rd and Indian School. You probably wouldn't want to be anywhere near there unless it's really changed a lot for the better since then.
    "Freedom and discipline have come to be regarded as mutually exclusive, when in fact freedom is not at all the opposite, but the final reward of discipline" - Elisabeth Elliot

"While they are saying, “Peace and safety!” then destruction will come upon them suddenly" 1Thess 5:3

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Left Az. a little over a year ago hope you like the heat and hard water and crazy drivers, I think because heat turns them that way. I know the realtors I had worked with had info on neighborhoods that they got from PD which list number of calls and type for area you are interested in but down there as with anywhere it can be dangerous no matter where you live and that includes gated communities. Good luck with new job hope all goes well.

Just note right now it is about 110 to 112 in Phenoixe and will be most summer .. Come up north if you get too hot ( it is about 10 + coler up here ) .. And right now I think most BLM shooting spots are close till the rains come

Also helpful hint DONT EVER BREATH IN THE DUST IN A DUST storm ..Vally fever and all ...

Right now you are entering AZ in Monson Season so look up on that ...

But AZ is a fun and funky State .... I can not offer much for Phenoxie as I dont get down that way much but if you ever come up north let me know I can point out a few location points of fun

And oh yeah we dont care what size mag you buy ... And oh if you have not heard we have no laws on the carry of knifes so if you want to carry a 5 inch auto go right ahead .... And of course OC or CC no permit is fine just need one to carry in a Bar ( if you have a a CO CCW I think that might count for the training part) ..And of course your CC permit from CO is honor here till you get one if you want it ... And yeah PPT sales are just dandy here ....

Phenoixe is a big city so be prepare for that and traffic last I looked 5 largest in the USA so ....And yeah I hear some parts of the west side are a bit rough .... But past that I dont know ...

And oh if you join http://arizonashooting.com/ PM me Im on there ...
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Welcome! You probably won't like the heat (yep, it's dry, but so's your oven...) but if you like shooting, I can't think of a more gun-friendly state. Temp was 110 today; pretty soon, it's start getting hot.

I live in Gilbert in the East Valley (same as yankeeman, post #8 above). My wife works downtown (Central & Thomas), and her average commute time at rush hour is 35-40 minutes - which is why she gets in early and leaves early. Chandler is a little closer, and Tempe is closer still, but Tempe north of Baseline is 'overwhelmed' with ASU presence which I consciously avoided when I moved here. Scottsdale is nice, but pricey... in many parts of town you're paying for the name.

Not sure what you consider 'cheap' for a house rental, but do your research... you don't want to wind up in a bad neighborhood.

And if you enjoy shooting, consider proximity to Ben Avery Shooting Center (I-17 & Carefree Hwy) or Rio Salado in E. Mesa (my range).
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links