High Priority Texas State Rifle Association PAC Alert

This is a discussion on High Priority Texas State Rifle Association PAC Alert within the Member Meeting Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I just got this email from the Texas State Rifle Association. The second bill is particularly important as it would prohibit employers from banning the ...

Thread: High Priority Texas State Rifle Association PAC Alert

JT [OP]

I just got this email from the Texas State Rifle Association. The second bill is particularly important as it would prohibit employers from banning the transport or possession of handguns by CHLs in locked vehicles

MEMBER ALERT - Please pass this on to your personal email networks.

IMPACT WITNESSES AND GRASSROOTS SUPPORT SOUGHT FOR TWO TSRA-BACKED BILLS

The following bills have been introduced in the Texas Legislature and are strongly supported by the Texas State Rifle Association. TSRA is seeking impact witnesses who could make themselves available to testify at a future public hearing in Austin before the committees listed below. If you fit the description and are interested in helping, please contact Alice Tripp, TSRA lobbyist, at AGTripp@aol.com or page her at 512-505-9519 and leave a return a brief message and a contact number.

HB 823 by Rep. Terry Keel (R-Austin) has been referred to the House Criminal Jurisprudence Committee. This bill would create an exception to the Unlawful Carry Section of the Penal Code and make it legal to carry a handgun in your car or truck for protection without a CHL. Current law establishes a defense to prosecution to a charge of unlawful carry if you are "traveling". A “defense to prosecution” means that if you possess a handgun in your car, you can still be charged with unlawful carry and you will need to hire a lawyer to submit evidence on the charge to a judge and jury. The judge and jury will then decide whether you were “traveling” at the time of the offense -- and "traveling" is not defined anywhere in law.

We are looking for individuals who have been charged with a violation of this section of the Penal Code, hired an attorney and gone to court, and been acquitted because a judge and jury found that they were "traveling."

Even if you don't fit this description, you can still help. Please contact these committee members and urge them to support HB 823:

House Criminal Justice Committee:
    Chairman Terry Keel
    512-463-0652 (thank him for authoring the bill)
    Vice-Chair Debbie Riddle
    512-463-0572
    Rep. Mary Denny
    512-463-0688
    Rep. Juan Escobar
    512-463-0666
    Rep. Aaron Pena (thank him for signing on as a joint author to the bill)
    512-463-0426
    Rep. Richard Raymond
    512-463-0558
    Rep. Elvira Reyna
    512-463-0464

HB 896 by Rep. David Farabee (D-Wichita Falls) has been referred to the House Law Enforcement Committee. This bill would prohibit employers from banning the transport or possession of handguns by CHLs in locked vehicles parked on property controlled by the employer. It would not affect employer policies regarding "No Firearms In The Workplace" except to state, in law, that the ban could not extend to vehicles in employee parking lots, parking garages, or other parking areas.

We are looking for any CHLs who are negatively impacted by their employer's current policy prohibiting them from keeping their handgun in their car while at work -- especially employees who travel long distances to work, who work late hours, or who are forced to park in undesirable areas off company property so that they may keep their gun in their car and not risk violating that policy.

Even if you don't fit this description, you can still help. Please contact these committee members and urge them to support HB 896:

House Law Enforcement Committee:
    Chairman Joe Driver
    512-463-0574
    Vice Chair Jim Jackson
    512-463-0468
    Rep. Stephen Frost (thank him for signing on as a joint author to the bill)
    512-463-0692
    Rep. Glenn Hegar
    512-463-0657
    Rep. Suzanna Hupp
    512-463-0684
    Rep. Mark Veasey
    512-463-0716
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

JT [OP]
    TSRA Alert: House Bill HB 1066

The House Law Enforcement Committee will meet on Monday, Feb. 28th at 1:30 pm, to hear HB 1066, by Rep. Glenn Hegar (R-Katy). This bill clarifies the type of background check requirements other states must have for reciprocity with Texas. HB 1066 also allows residents from any state with or without Concealed Handgun Law to apply for a Texas CHL.

Last Monday, Feb. 21st, Law Enforcement Committee passed HB 225 by Rep. Joe Driver to extend CHL renewals from 4 years to 5 years, HB 318 by Rep. Hupp to provide confidentiality of CHL records to all but criminal justice agencies, and HB 322 also by Rep. Hupp to allow honorably discharged veterans and military between 18 and 21 to obtain a Texas Concealed Handgun License at a reduced fee.

Other legislation that needs to be heard in Law Enforcement Committee:
    HB 896 by Rep. David Farabee (D-Wichita Falls) would allow a CHL to be able to keep their legally owned firearm in their locked vehicle on company property.
    HB 1037 by Rep. Carl Isett (R-Lubbock) would make carrying a handgun in your vehicle an exception to prosecution for "traveling". The word "exception" means that the burden of proof would be on the state to prove that the person was not traveling. Exception has a clearer meaning in the law.
    HB 1038 by Rep. Carl Isett (R-Lubbock) would lower the senior (over 60) renewal fee for a CHL from $70 to $35 (50%) as was originally intended by the legislature
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Thanks for the update JT I'm so covered up with the TAKS test this stuff slips by me.

I finally got off my lazy butt and joined TSRA so hopefully I'll be getting the email alerts soon.

JT [OP]
    Glad to hear you joined. They do a lot of good.

Talking

I'm like a lot of people I think. I didn't realize how much trouble Texas was in. We actually have a ridiculous amount of gun control in this state.

Yeah if those Gomer Pyles at the DPS will ever send me my little plastic card, I may just have to seriously consider ordering something from the CMP.

JT [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Yeah if those Gomer Pyles at the DPS will ever send me my little plastic card
    Are you talking about your CHL? How long have you been waiting? My initial one took almost the allotted 90 days to the day. I think it was day 88. At least it was calendar days and not 90 business days.

Red face

On a related matter, Texas Governor Rick Perry signed a unilateral proclamation on 29 Dec 2004 allowing citizens with CHL issued by New Mexico to legally carry concealed handguns in Texas. This is not a reciprocal agreement therefore, Texas CHL are not recognized in New Mexico. This is the first "unilateral" proclamation issued by Texas.

I don't know whether this will eventually change to a reprocity agreement or not. I guess the ball is in New Mexico's court.

Quote Originally Posted by JT
    Are you talking about your CHL? How long have you been waiting? My initial one took almost the allotted 90 days to the day. I think it was day 88. At least it was calendar days and not 90 business days.
    Yeah I updated my other thread. Technically I should only be on day 7, but I'm pretending like the packet will have gotten there March 1.

I'm actually pretty close to Austin so that should help a little bit. I know when my parents mail me things from the western part of the state it takes 6-7 days even though it's only 220 miles from here.

This whole thing has been very educational and good for me overall, but it's outrageous to have to pay so much and wait so long for a right guaranteed by the state's constituition (not to mention the federal one!).

Sponsored Links