Heads Up South Carolina!!! Washington State, Too!!!

Heads Up South Carolina!!! Washington State, Too!!!

This is a discussion on Heads Up South Carolina!!! Washington State, Too!!! within the Member Meeting Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; There is a great Bill under consideration by the State Legislature that would amend the laws in SC to simply recognize the holders of any ...

Exclamation Heads Up South Carolina!!! Washington State, Too!!!

There is a great Bill under consideration by the State Legislature that would amend the laws in SC to simply recognize the holders of any other states CCW permits without further requirements. Time for folks in SC to start lighting a FIRE under their politicians!

http://www.scstatehouse.net/cgi-bin/...=117&summary=T

I just received a note from the folks in FL who handle the reciprocity agreements and they sent me this link and an explanation on how they get other states into these important agreements:

This is the way it works in FLORIDA:

ExSoldier:

Yes, we were very happy to finally add West Virginia to the list of reciprocity states. If we could get South Carolina, we would have the entire block of Southeastern states. I do not know how likely this is. Let me give you a general explanation of how reciprocity works under Florida law. This will help explain why we haven't been successful in our dealings with South Carolina and Washington.

Florida law is relatively straightforward on the matter of reciprocity. We will honor the concealed carry licenses issued by another state provided that the authorities in that other state will simply acknowledge that they will honor Florida permits. We impose no other conditions in order to establish a reciprocity agreement.

South Carolina's reciprocity law, on the other hand, requires that the concealed carry licensing laws of another state be substantially similar to South Carolina's own concealed carry licensing laws in order for there to be reciprocity. Officials at the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) have told us that Florida's issuance standards do not measure up to theirs on a couple of points. For one thing, South Carolina's licensing law requires applicants to attend a minimum 8-hour handgun training class; Florida law has no such requirement. In any event, South Carolina authorities have informed us that Florida fails to qualify for reciprocity with South Carolina.

We have been closely watching a bill (H. 3212) currently making its way through the South Carolina General Assembly that will essentially require the State of South Carolina to honor all valid concealed weapon permits issued to residents of other states. If this bill passes and is signed by Governor Mark Sanford, we will immediately contact the South Carolina Attorney General to work out the details of a reciprocity agreement. However, I am not overly confident that the bill will become law. Similar bills introduced in the General Assembly in the past have died in committee. Unfortunately, if this bill dies, the stalemate between Florida and South Carolina will continue.

If you are interested, you can track the progress of this bill yourself through the General Assembly by using the link below.

http://www.scstatehouse.net/cgi-bin/...=117&summary=T

Washington is like South Carolina in that there are certain conditions that another state must meet in order to qualify for concealed weapon reciprocity. The Washington Attorney General's Office has declined our offers of reciprocity because the way in which our Division of Licensing goes about conducting mental health history background checks does not meet the standards for conducting those background checks set forth in Washington's concealed weapon licensing law. Therefore, we simply failed to qualify for reciprocity with Washington.

I hope I have explained this situation to you adequately. We will keep a watchful eye on the South Carolina legislation. If you need any additional information, please do not hesitate to get back in touch with me. Have a pleasant weekend.

Ken Wilkinson
    Management Analyst
    Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services
    Division of Licensing
    Post Office Box 6687
    Tallahassee, Florida 32314-6687
    TEL: 850-245-5665
    FAX: 850-245-5655

Folks out in the land of BILL GATES ought to start kicking some butt to bring them into alignment with the rest of the forward thinking country.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Thanks for the information. I go north for vacation every year and either take I 95 or I 75I. I guess its I 75 again until they change the law in South Carlonia. The reciprocity between states should be automatic.

VIP Member
    Washington will be hard to do with little Hillary as Governor, but I'll do what I can with the reps we've got. Thanks for the heads up, Ex.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

SC reciprocity with FL would make all my travel/camping/motorcycling plans complete...
    Hope it's soon!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

we in SC have been in contact with our reps pretty regularly. We really want this bill passed.

Links