Going to Alaska

This is a discussion on Going to Alaska within the Member Meeting Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm going to Anchorage on the 24th and will have the nights of the 24th, 25th and 26th free. I know we have some forum ...

Thread: Going to Alaska

Senior Moderator

Going to Alaska

I'm going to Anchorage on the 24th and will have the nights of the 24th, 25th and 26th free. I know we have some forum members from Alaska, are any from Anchorage?

Do you want to try to meet? Is there a fireing range that rents guns in town? What are some good resturants?
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

2. Remove Ads

A Place To Shoot?

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I'm going to Anchorage on the 24th and will have the nights of the 24th, 25th and 26th free. I know we have some forum members from Alaska, are any from Anchorage?

Do you want to try to meet? Is there a fireing range that rents guns in town? What are some good resturants?
    You could try an area just outside of Anchorage...it's 1/5 the size of the United States...if you can't find a place to shoot up there, you're not looking.

I used to live in AK for 7 years...what a place! Hope someone who lives there responds...Good Luck!

Stay armed...enjoy AK...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

pgrass,

Unfortunately, I just left there in April.

To answer your first question, I can't think of any ranges in town that rent guns. Rabbit Creek is on the south edge of Anchorage, but it's a public range. Birchwood is north of Eagle River, but they don't rent either. If you just want to look, Great Northern Guns just off of Tudor usually has pretty good eye candy and a friendly staff.

As to your 2nd question, a must-hit restaurant is The White Spot on the corner of 4th and A. The fried halibut sandwith is world-class. Go early for lunch (1100-ish) if possible. She only has bar-style seathing for about 12. If you get there much later, it's standing room only.

BE FOREWARNED--Sherri (the owner/proprietress) has been compared to Seinfeld's Soup Nazi on more than one occasion. The rules to know beforehand are:

1) Sherri does everything by memory. She will look directly at you when it's your turn to order. Order for yourself only. Be quick and to the point. (All other rules stem from this one. Because she does it by memory, she HATES being chaffed with useless info.)

2) Do not say "with fries" because everything comes with fries.

3) If you want something omitted, say so when you order. Don't let her see you pick off the tomatoes or whatever.

4) Don't order your drink until the drink girl comes around.

It sounds bad, but it's awesome food and Sherri's nice if you follow the rules.

Be sure to go to Ship Creek (north side of town) around high tide to watch the locals try to get their share of King Salmon. You can see where to go from the train station.

If you have more time, drive south out of town on AK1 (the Seward Highway). Driving along Turnagain Arm is one of the prettiest drives you'll experience. Make sure the memory stick on the camera is empty when you leave town. If the reds (coho salmon) are running along the Russian, it's worthwhile to drive down there (onto the Kenai Peninsula). When the Seward Highway splits toward Homer, take the Sterling Highway toward Homer. About 8 miles past Cooper's Landing, there is a US gov't campground at Russian River. You can wait in line for a parking spot, but if you don't mind hiking in a couple of miles, drive past all the cars in line, turn right just prior to the guard shack and park there. Walk back to the Russian and just relax. It's awesome.

Hope that helps. Enjoy your trip. I wish I was there....

Cheers,
    Herk

PS--Don't forget to check your watch. Otherwise you'll stay up most of the night. ;)

I can't help you with ranges in Anchorage, but I can recommend a couple of restaurants.

I've travelled to Anchorage for work several times, and I've enjoyed every trip. My favorite two restaurants in town are the Glacier Brewhouse and Orso. Both are right downtown and within walking distance of several hotels.

Glacier Brewhouse has the more casual atmosphere of the two and, as it's name suggests, is a brewery restaurant. If you're into beer, you might also try Snow Goose (a similar establishment). Orso is slightly more upscale, but the food is also excellent.

I doubt you'll be disappointed by either. However, at this time of year they'll both be busy. Look into reservations or calling ahead.

Brian

I almost forgot. The Moose's Tooth is a good pizza place with a microbrewery on the premises. I can't speak to any of their beers because I was driving the first time I went there, and their homemade root beer is really good. Needless to say, I never got around to trying the brews.

Senior Moderator
    Thanks, and I Love Beer, dark beer, not this see-thru stuff most people think is beer.

My days are going to be busy, in the lab and just 2 days to collect a lot of samples and to train the local staff on new quick and easy ID proceedures.

But I have most of the evening on the 26th to kill. My flight leaves out at 12:30am on the 27th. I'm free after I check out of the hotel.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Thanks, and I Love Beer, dark beer, not this see-thru stuff most people think is beer.

<snip>
    Clearly we are of the same mind! I can't stand the 'usual suspects' when it comes to beer (Bud, Miller, Coors, etc).

Actually I spent the afternoon brewing up a batch of beer here at the house, but that's a thread for another board.....

I'll have to check out the Moose's Tooth when I'm up there next month.

Brian

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I live in Anchorage Alaska. I don't think there are any firing ranges near Anchorage that rents guns, but there is the Rabbit Creek Range ran by the Department of Fish & Game, and then there is the Birchwood Shooting Park, which is like 15 miles north of Anchorage.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderdude View Post
    I live in Anchorage Alaska. I don't think there are any firing ranges near Anchorage that rents guns, but there is the Rabbit Creek Range ran by the Department of Fish & Game, and then there is the Birchwood Shooting Park, which is like 15 miles north of Anchorage.

Thanks, but I'm flying so me bringing my own gun is a mute point.
    What is the weather like there? In Alabama is is 95+ and humid.

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Low humidity, temperatures between 65-80, and sunny.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Quote Originally Posted by spyderdude View Post
    Low humidity, temperatures between 65-80, and sunny.
    On that note, not a lot of places in AK have air conditioning. Just so you know.

Links