Texas Residents!!!

Texas Residents!!!

This is a discussion on Texas Residents!!! within the Member Meeting Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hey, the wife and I are traveling to TEXAS this summer (July 4th approx) and we'd like to get some recommendations on places to visit ...

Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Texas Residents!!!

  1. #1
    VIP Member Array ExSoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Coral Gables, FL
    Posts
    5,802

    Exclamation Texas Residents!!!

    Hey, the wife and I are traveling to TEXAS this summer (July 4th approx) and we'd like to get some recommendations on places to visit and places to stay away from. We're going to have a B-I-G dog with us on the way up and ANOTHER newly adopted pup on the way home to Miami, FL. We're looking at Texas as a possible place to retire and since my wife is a craft fanatic and antique nut we'd like some thought on best places for these things.

    Me? I can be happy any place that's pro gun and I hear that AUSTIN....ain't. How about Bandura? McKinney? San Antonio? We plan on building our own place when we retire. So we'd like to know a little bit about property taxes and such. I'm lusting for one of the 4x4 Sportsmobiles built in Austin (custom made) http://www.sportsmobile.com/4_4x4sports.html I'd like an area that has a VA hospital fairly nearby and good services otherwise. Maybe a population of residents of about 50,000 to 75,000. How big city-wise does that sound? I mean what's the population of the average not a MEGALOPOLIS Texas town?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.


  2. #2
    VIP Member Array Euclidean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,213
    Ex Soldier I'm mostly from West and Central Texas. Texas is more like five states than one:

    West Texas - Lots of wide open spaces and the Big Bend area. The Texas you see in the movies. Good country folks with thick accents and a habit of self reliance.

    Central Texas - Other than Travis County (Sorry Travis County!) a pretty nice place. Lots of hustle and bustle. Political and possibly the ecomonomic center of the state.

    North Texas, including the panhandle - North Texas I really don't know much about other than some parts of it are more like South Oklahoma. Seems to be a real mixed bag.

    East Texas - Lots of green forests and rolling hills. Has a very Appalachian feel to it.

    South Texas - Gulf Area. Lots of 'Cans! :) Personally I don't care for living in the Gulf area but it's a very active place and there's a lot going on down there. The people are more practical.

    Bandura and McKinney I can't speak for. This here's a big state. If you wanted to know about Brady or Coleman I could help you...

    San Antonio - every Texan has been here at least once to see The Alamo. To be honest though inner San Antonio has some rough spots. It's a contrast between historical and cultural splendor and well, not splendor. Austin's probably worse though.

    Now as for gun laws, Austin's about the only real seat of anti gun sentiment because Austin is full of foreigners and liberal politicians and hippies. It's a neat city with a lot of things to see and do and some people like it.

    Personally I like being near it but I don't like being in it. I live in a suburb of Austin in nearby Williamson County where the policeman expects to be called "sir" and if you were to shoot someone who was trying to kill you, they'd probably send you a Thank You card. I'm a comfortable 30 miles from Austin. Most people here are kinda gun neutral which I can tolerate. You can go buy a gun at the pawn shop and carry it out to your car and people don't freak out.

    West Texas people just accept guns as a fact of life.

    As for stuff to see, well what do you want to see? There's a lot in Texas and it's all spread apart. San Antonio is a neat place to visit with lots of theme parks and of course The Alamo. The Alamo I feel is a must.

    If you want to see Texas history, don't forget Goliad. No one ever goes there and it's really sad. I've been there and seen the monuments and the battlefield. That's as much of a part of Texas history as the Alamo.

    Way far from there you can find Old Fort Concho in San Angelo Texas. They've built up the remains of an old frontier town from the early 1800s and they have re enactors and everything. It's probably not practical to make this all in one trip as it would be a very long drive.

    If you like the night life Austin is definitely your city. If you like hunting there's a whole lot of places. Really it's more of a question of what do you want to see because there's a lot of stuff and I couldn't begin to tell you what all is in Texas.

    Now a typical Texas town... I live in a nice little burb of some 33,000 people. How big or small of a place do you want? There's Loving Texas with a population of 125 and who knows how many million people live in the Dallas Fort Worth Metroplex.

    Depends really on what region you're in. I've found me a little spot where everything is within 30 minutes driving distance, except for the firing range which is about 40 minutes, and I live in a nice little town and not a congested city. Your best bet is usually the outskirts of a bigger place.

    July 4th I will either be in far west Texas, which you probably won't visit on your trip, or southern Missouri. I'm kind of out of your way anyway.

    If you want to spot a native Texan, wait to see who laughs their duff off when Walker Texas Ranger drives from El Paso to Dallas in 4 hours. Remember, it's bigger than France.

  3. #3
    DC Founder
    Array Bumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    20,045
    I love dogs, but I have to tell you, you are going to have a hard time with a big, full grown dog and a pup in Texas (or anywhere else), in July. There are not many places, especially historical sites that will allow you to bring the dogs in with you and it will be too hot to leave them in a vehicle for even a short time. If you're scouting out retirement spots you might want to kennel the adult dog in Florida, check out all that Texas has to offer and pick up the pup on your way out. If you do, though, get them both a good flea and tick collar, especially if you're going to be in areas covered with Oak trees and brush, especially Live Oaks.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

  4. #4
    VIP Member Array ExSoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Coral Gables, FL
    Posts
    5,802

    Exclamation Texas!

    Bumer, Euclidean, I printed both your posts to show my wife. SHE is printing reams of stuff from the 'net on Texas, but I think she will certainly appreciate first hand knowledge as I do from residents.

    Bumper, there will be certain spots that I know we won't be able to take the pups (which are really CHILDREN to us because we are true nuts on the topic) so like the San Jacinto Battlefield, my wife will stay in the van running with the AC on FULL, while I schmooze around like a good little History Teacher with my digital camera. And when she is in the craft shops, I'm doing the pup sitting thang with a good book....but in all the twelve years we had our first newfie the ONLY time we were away from her for more than twelve hours was when my wife and I went from Miami to Virginia to bury my mom. And then our daughter sat the pup at home. My mom was on her death bed and we tried to explain that Kelly couldn't go to her grave and my mom weakly EXCLAIMED:

    "Oh Kelly has to stay with NANA so she won't feel abandoned!"

    Even my dying mom understood that relationship. Since the two-legged kid is married off, we find true joy in our four leggeds. Carry on full conversations with them, they ANSWER....yeah we're crazy. BTW, please tell me why OAK trees are so bad?

    Also, Bumper....I'm coming up on the 500 post marker. Am I going to be a "Contributing Member" or are you going to come up with a better title? I want to be an old hand on the site beyond a regular member. Over on Free Republic I've got something like 6,000 posts.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

  5. #5
    VIP Member Array ExSoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Coral Gables, FL
    Posts
    5,802

    Talking Walker Texas Ranger?

    Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    If you want to spot a native Texan, wait to see who laughs their duff off when Walker Texas Ranger drives from El Paso to Dallas in 4 hours. Remember, it's bigger than France.
    Yup just like if you want to spot a native from Miami, watch them chortle at the movies and TV shows shot here as the editors configure the car or boat chases to look the coolest but which really instantly jump from location to location that are really across town from each other. Or when they identify streets and malls as being something else. I'm sure folks from LA and NYC feel the same way....

    But we still LOVE Walker AND I REALLY liked Lone Wolf McQuade the Texas Ranger from the 1980's. I wonder how much gas at 60 cents a gallon he poured into that nitro charged 4X4? LOL
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

  6. #6
    VIP Member Array ExSoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Coral Gables, FL
    Posts
    5,802

    Lightbulb Things to do in Texas?

    Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    As for stuff to see, well what do you want to see? There's a lot in Texas and it's all spread apart. San Antonio is a neat place to visit with lots of theme parks and of course The Alamo. The Alamo I feel is a must.

    If you want to see Texas history, don't forget Goliad. No one ever goes there and it's really sad. I've been there and seen the monuments and the battlefield. That's as much of a part of Texas history as the Alamo.

    Way far from there you can find Old Fort Concho in San Angelo Texas. They've built up the remains of an old frontier town from the early 1800s and they have re enactors and everything. It's probably not practical to make this all in one trip as it would be a very long drive.

    If you like the night life Austin is definitely your city. If you like hunting there's a whole lot of places. Really it's more of a question of what do you want to see because there's a lot of stuff and I couldn't begin to tell you what all is in Texas.

    Now a typical Texas town... I live in a nice little burb of some 33,000 people. How big or small of a place do you want? There's Loving Texas with a population of 125 and who knows how many million people live in the Dallas Fort Worth Metroplex.

    Depends really on what region you're in. I've found me a little spot where everything is within 30 minutes driving distance, except for the firing range which is about 40 minutes, and I live in a nice little town and not a congested city. Your best bet is usually the outskirts of a bigger place.

    July 4th I will either be in far west Texas, which you probably won't visit on your trip, or southern Missouri. I'm kind of out of your way anyway.

    If you want to spot a native Texan, wait to see who laughs their duff off when Walker Texas Ranger drives from El Paso to Dallas in 4 hours. Remember, it's bigger than France.
    We've been to the Alamo twice. That was AWESOME. Communing with the spirits of those patriots. You know a buddy of mine wrote the first of a triology of books that might really appeal to the folks on this site. Try:
    http://www.EnemiesForeignAndDomestic.com

    ANYWAY, thanks for the input. We're looking for cities about 50-75,000 in population with good services and a cool climate. Gun friendly maybe with a range nearby. Maybe a little bit ummmm "artsy" although those folks tend to be more LIBERAL, but my wife is very artsy. Need a VA Hospital in the region. I'd say the wife is looking for QUAINT and traditional. And Christian. In any case, I'm sure we'll be exploring quite a bit before we make a decision on retirement locations.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

  7. #7
    Member Array Mike Oswalt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Posts
    20
    (That was AWESOME. Communing with the spirits of those patriots.)

    My wife and I just returned this evening from San Antonio. We stayed in the Emily Morgan Hotel. It is right next to the Alamo. What a history filled place. The warriors spirits are abound.

    Euc has hit the nail on the head about my own observations of Texas. I am a native Dallasite. I now live in the 'burbs as well.

    The "Hill Country" is absolutly beautiful. My wife and I rode back on our 'Wing. We traveled north from SA and through Marble Falls. That is definately an area to check the real estate in. Bandera is not far from San Antonio and is in the Hill Country. Small town with GREAT hunting.

    When you decide to live in Texas, the only decision, is what you want to see from your front porch. We absolutely have it all. Good Luck

  8. #8
    VIP Member Array ExSoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Coral Gables, FL
    Posts
    5,802

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Oswalt
    My wife and I rode back on our 'Wing. We traveled north from SA and through Marble Falls. That is definately an area to check the real estate in. Bandera is not far from San Antonio and is in the Hill Country. Small town with GREAT hunting.

    When you decide to live in Texas, the only decision, is what you want to see from your front porch. We absolutely have it all. Good Luck
    What year is your WING? My fantasy vehicle for when I sell a script. Whatever year brand new and loaded. I know there are some nifty lockable storage compartments at the corners of the bike are they capable of holding a std length Glock M27? By std length, I'm referring to the stubby 9rd mag.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

  9. #9
    VIP Member Array Euclidean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,213
    Oh dang Ex I forgot to tell you two important travel tips:

    #1. If you have any kind of a frame on your license plate, take it off. The state of Texas made it illegal a couple of years ago to have a frame on your plate. The reasoning is that the resulting tickets nets the state a couple of million dollars of revenue every year. This law is sporadically enforced, but don't enable it.

    #2. Texas has the "Get on Over" Law. If you see an LEO with his lights on and he has someone pulled over, get in the left hand lane immediately. If that's not possible, you must slow down to at least 20 mph below the posted speed limit. Many people hate this law but I for one think it's actually a good law! We lose too many good LEOs this way.

  10. #10
    VIP Member Array ExSoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Coral Gables, FL
    Posts
    5,802

    Thumbs up Thanks!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Oh dang Ex I forgot to tell you two important travel tips:

    #1. If you have any kind of a frame on your license plate, take it off. The state of Texas made it illegal a couple of years ago to have a frame on your plate. The reasoning is that the resulting tickets nets the state a couple of million dollars of revenue every year. This law is sporadically enforced, but don't enable it.

    #2. Texas has the "Get on Over" Law. If you see an LEO with his lights on and he has someone pulled over, get in the left hand lane immediately. If that's not possible, you must slow down to at least 20 mph below the posted speed limit. Many people hate this law but I for one think it's actually a good law! We lose too many good LEOs this way.
    Thanks big time, Euc! This couldv'e really put a crimp in the trip!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

  11. #11
    New Member Array richa60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    8
    Send a message via Email to ExSoldier762
    Email Subject:

    Message:
    I am a new member to this groupe just joined today. Retired Pilot.
    Moved to TX from Ohio 13 years ago. We have looked everwhere and this is the place we prefer. ( East Texas ) Tyler Lots of trees, grass, hills,water, and nice people.
    housing cost are low but way up from 1992.
    No state sales tax.
    Insurance higher than ohio
    Living cost in general (low)
    Good CHL laws and friendly police.
    We also have big dog ( 113# Doberman.
    Lots of good fishing, Dallas is 90 miles west, Shreveport and the Casinos 80 miles east.
    Look us up on the map.
    Any other information you need please ask and I will help if I can.
    My wife and I work as volunteers for the Tyler PD
    Best wishes
    Richard Eckerle
    Note: By using this form, your email address will become available to the user who you are emailing.

  12. #12
    Member Array Mike Oswalt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    What year is your WING? My fantasy vehicle for when I sell a script. Whatever year brand new and loaded. I know there are some nifty lockable storage compartments at the corners of the bike are they capable of holding a std length Glock M27? By std length, I'm referring to the stubby 9rd mag.
    Mine is '02, bought it in 03. Great bike w/ lots of speed. It is smooth as glass at any speed. There is lots of storage. I never tried my 27 in the fairing pockets. I'll look and report back to you.

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. [Merged]Texas LEO's advise residents near the Mexican Border to ARM themselves....
    By ExSoldier in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: April 27th, 2010, 02:57 PM
  2. Harris Co, TX Residents and Former Residents
    By ErnieNWillis in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: July 22nd, 2009, 10:06 PM
  3. Texas Members: Please Contact Texas Senator Kay Bailey Hutchinson
    By Rock and Glock in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: June 29th, 2007, 07:34 PM
  4. Texas HB 1815: Texas Residents - Please Act!
    By Rock and Glock in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: May 17th, 2007, 11:00 PM

Search tags for this page

does oklahoma honor texas hb 1815

,

richard eckerle

Click on a term to search for related topics.