Which State to move to ?

Which State to move to ?

This is a discussion on Which State to move to ? within the Member Meeting Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ok, Everyone knows I just moved to the Philippines, but the wife is wondering about moving back to the States. I would like your opinions ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which State to move to ?

Which State to move to ?

Ok, Everyone knows I just moved to the Philippines, but the wife is wondering about moving back to the States. I would like your opinions about which State would be right for us, given my income say between $ 4,000 to $4,500 / month, my wife likes the warm climate and hates the cold weather. So speaking economics and weather, which State would you choose. I also must admit I miss the States. CA is out !!! I like my guns.
    Thanks,
    Rhome
    Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. ~ Robin Williams ~
    www.desbiensgunleather.com

Alabama if you have to have warm weather. Cost of living was low when I last visited. Maybe not as low as Kentucky, but we still get a bit of a winter here.

One of the more free gun states.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

I'll cast a vote for Florida--

• It's (very?) gun friendly.
    • The weather is warm.
    • No state income tax!!!

It's also worth pointing out that the entire state is NOT like Miami. (Not that there's anything wrong with Miami--that's just a common misconception). I'm sure you'll be able to find something you like.

Brian

Senior Moderator
    I would vote for Alabama or Kentucky
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

I still vote for California...
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Assistant Administrator
    Hey Rhome ...... let me mention an assessment my wife and I made a while ago - looking idly at where else we might like to be.

Know what, much as we loathe the long winter and the cold - on balance we agreed that we were not that badly off in PA. Summer is still plenty hot enough too for me.

Further North than we are - winters can be worse tho summers OK ........ mid west tempting except for extreme weather considerations. South west ..... just too darned hot for our summer taste. South east ..... darned hot too but add in the mega humidity and maybe hurricane risks.

Bottom line ... and reviewing being in same place year round - we really see where we are as a reasonable compromize ....... can't have everything but the balance ain't too bad.

PA is pretty reasonable from guns POV too. So - maybe I am biased but as said ... overall it seems a fair compromize here.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Benthic View Post
    I'll cast a vote for Florida--

• It's (very?) gun friendly.
    • The weather is warm.
    • No state income tax!!!

It's also worth pointing out that the entire state is NOT like Miami. (Not that there's anything wrong with Miami--that's just a common misconception). I'm sure you'll be able to find something you like.

Brian
    Something in FL would be perfect. When I get the chance to get out of Maryland, I looking hard at Pensacola and Tampa.
    Last edited by limatunes; September 28th, 2007 at 11:34 AM. Reason: removed language
    Support Maryland Shall Issue
    http://www.marylandshallissue.org/

Maryland Shooters,
    Visit http://www.mdshooters.com/

Take a look at the "Recommended Home Insulation" or "Landscape Planting Zone" Maps of the U.S., the climate bands don't run straight across from East to West. Compared to California, almost ANY state South of New York will look Gun Friendly. I prefer the Southeast for the warmth of the people in Dixie & the wealth of oudoors sports like fishing & hunting. The climate can get a little humid...but that's what Iced Tea is for. Pick a spot where Common Sense & Common Courtesy are STILL common. I LOVE my Old Kentucky Home.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Depends on how warm you like it. Central Texas has a fairly low cost of living, plenty of outdoors activities - but you can not be afraid of warm weather. In Texas 70's is cool, 80-low 90's is nice, and >100 (with humidity) is hot.

We average about 1 freezing and 1 hot week a year, but some years are exceptions (we had a week over 110 a couple years ago - peeked at 118. Was opening weekend of dove season, I was hiking with a shotgun at 114)

If you stay out of central meto areas, nice homes start arround $60-80 sq/ft in the burbs near me, a little less elsewhere. Right now it is hard to find rural land less than $3k an acre, but $5k-$10k/acre) on 100 acre plots is more the norm. 20 acre ranchettes are way too common

In Florida if you stay off the coast and out of major metropolitan areas it's pretty affordable. North central seems to avoid the major problems with hurricanes. I've also had some nice experiences in Alabama as well!

Move on a boat like us. Living can be very cheap when done right and you can travel with the seasons....
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Arizona, Texas or Florida would be prime choices for both warm weather and CCW. Georgia is a good choice for weather, slightly less friendly for CCW.

1943 - 2009
    Well, if the wife doesn't like cold weather, you can cross Montana off the list! (Although this past July was the hottest on record, with something like 28 straight days with the temp at 98 degrees and higher.)

Besides, Montana only has two seasons: winter and construction..

But we could use a talented holster maker around here!

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Arkansas is pretty nice. The weather is warm with some winter but it usually doesn't last too long. I've heard it's nice around Mountain Home Arkansas.

We have fishing, hunting, hiking, and something no one else has,,,, Diamonds!!! But you have to root around in the dirt to find them. LOL.

VIP Member
    Oregon,Utah,or Nevada.....

VIP Member
    Rhome, just to put my .02 in. Not only will I recommend you move to Alabama, I will recommend you move to Perry County. Reasons: cost of living is low, populations is low - less than 12,000 in an area 2/3 the size of Rhode Island, real estate costs are low. There are other reasons as well. Perry County has the largest number of occupied antebellum homes of any county in the country. The weather not bad. It does get hot in the summer, but the winters are mild. We very seldom have more than two days in a row that the temp drops below freezing. On rare occasions (twice in the last 12 years) the temp has remained below freezing for more than 24 hours.

There are some disadvantages to living in Perry County I will admit. The major one is distance to anything. From my home it is 30 miles to a Wal-Mart. I am the resident FFL. It is more like 50 miles to a real gun store. That said we do have lots of guns in Perry County.

As sort of a statement of fact - we have daily deliveries by UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc. The county seat town of Marion has DSL in most parts. Other parts of the county have to make do with dial up.

If you really want some good info on our little part of the world check this website. Then choose agents and click Kay Beckett (Kay is my next door neighbor). Take a look at the properties she has. I think you will be pleased.

Disclaimer: I am in no way connected with Bill Mackey Real Estate and do not have a dog in this fight. I simply like where I live and think more people should know about it. Of course having a holster maker in town wouldn't hurt either. Who knows maybe we can get together with some other people here in town and set up a good range.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links