Attn: Millitary And Former Millitary

This is a discussion on Attn: Millitary And Former Millitary within the Member Meeting Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Formost, I would like to thank you for your service. The lack of apreciation from the general public sickens me as an american and as ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Attn: Millitary And Former Millitary

Attn: Millitary And Former Millitary

Formost, I would like to thank you for your service. The lack of apreciation from the general public sickens me as an american and as a human.

Given our current situation in the middle east and the presidential office being up for re-election soon, would you enlist now?
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Yep. There's always an administration that someone doesn't like, and there's always a war to fight somewhere.

JD
    Administrator
    On a side note:

A buddy of mine back home used that excuse back in '98

"I'd join if Clinton wasn't in office"

Then: "I'm not joining now, I don't want to go to Iraq"

If you want to join, join.

It will either be the best or the worst thing you can do in your life.

My friend is 29 years old, living in his parents basement, working for slightly above minimum wage, and has a 4 year old son with some chick that he hates.

He should have joined

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    On a side note:

A buddy of mine back home used that excuse back in '98

"I'd join if Clinton wasn't in office"

Then: "I'm not joining now, I don't want to go to Iraq"

If you want to join, join.

It will either be the best or the worst thing you can do in your life.

My friend is 29 years old, living in his parents basement, working for slightly above minimum wage, and has a 4 year old son with some chick that he hates.

He should have joined
    I have been really thinking about it.
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

Administrator
    I served into the Clinton years. I hated the fact that I was serving under a President like him... until I understood that I wasnt serving for him, I was serving for my country.

I would join again today (provided I didnt have a family now) in a heartbeat. If I was scared to go to war, I wouldnt join in peace time or war time. War can come at a drop of a hat, so if your worried about that, it aint for you. Also, not every job in the military is humping a rifle into combat. There are tons and tons of non combat arms MOS's for you to look into.

Besides, given some history, the Iraq war isnt as bad as it could be. Vietnam, Korea and every other war before this one has been much worse. If our fathers and grandfathers could pull it off, so can we.
    "Just blame Sixto"

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by CelticWolf View Post
    I have been really thinking about it.
    If I had it all to do over again, I'd go back.

However, you have to realize that I'm not in any more, and don't really want to go back. But knowing what I know now, if I could do it all over again, I would.

Marine Corps?

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by CelticWolf View Post
    Marine Corps?
    Yep, I was "recruited" out of the Southgate, MI office.

VIP Member
    I have "enlisted again," so to speak, by being called back twice. I gladly went both times, and I'd go again. I enjoy my civilian job too much to go back full time, but as the country needs me, I am available. If I was 19 again right now, I'd be beating down the recruiter's door, but hey, that's just me.

And to expand on JDs thoughts: It will be both the best AND the worst thing you ever do in your life...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

wow.. thats close. Quite a few of my friends enlisted over the last few years. 1 Marine, 2 Army and 1 made it to be a Army Ranger. All of them are in the middle east now. I was thinking army. Dont know if I could handle marines.

VIP Member
    Job for job, there is very little difference between the Army and USMC. Marine boot is a little longer and tougher, but millions before you have done it, so don't be scurred. Once you're in, how tough it is is almost entirely a function of your MOS. An office pogue (no offense) in the Marines isn't going to have too much different a life then an office pogue in the Army (except he'll get promoted faster in the Army! )

Do some research on jobs you might like, what each branch offers in the fields you are interested in, stationing opportunities, post-service benenfits, and so on - don't make a decision based solely on how "tough" things seem to an outsider.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Administrator
    Dont get to caught up in the branch of service. They all offer something different, and have good points and bad. Marines have the fact that they are Marines. Its a club that you belong to for life.
    Army has a ton of choices. If you want to be a bad ***, go do it. If you want to be a meek nerdy type, god bless you, we need you too. The Army has programs for that too.
    The Air Force and Navy offer lots of tech stuff, Air Force quality of life is better too. You really will see the world in the Navy.
    Dont discount the Coast Guard. They are close to your home, and offer some excellent programs.
    I might suggest you do the reserves first, as you can always go full time later. You cant go full time, decide you dont like it, and go reserves.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    If I found myself being a young pup again, sure I'd enlist just like I did 10 years ago. I may find myself back in a uniform sometime in the future, but this time my collar devices will be the shiney kind.
    I suppose that if I saw that the administration was doing really bad things with and to the military, that might impact my decision. But whether or not you agree that going to war this time was a good Idea or not, the guys on the ground are still killing BG's and trying to positively impact the good guys. If I ever really believed that they were doing the opposite, I wouldn't go.

Thanks eneryone for your replies. I guess I'll do some research within the branches to see what is for me.

JD
    Administrator
    One thing I will say, The Marines have the bottom of the barrel on duty stations

Cough, cough 29 Palms, darn stinkin' desert!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links