kendo anyone?

kendo anyone?

This is a discussion on kendo anyone? within the Member Meeting Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; has anyone themselves taken or know someone that practices the martial art of kendo?a friend of mine is trying to get me into it but ...

Thread: kendo anyone?

kendo anyone?

has anyone themselves taken or know someone that practices the martial art of kendo?a friend of mine is trying to get me into it but im not sure, in case someone doesn't know what im talking about,its where you wear a uniform like darth vader and fight with bamboo swords.it has a whole philosophy that goes along with it and to me seems to take up a lot of your spare time.just wondering if anyone in the forum is in kendo and what are its benefits? besides becoming more physically agile...thanks
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Lead Moderator
    Quick reaction times? Most of the high level matches I saw in Japan were over in seconds.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    Hmmmmmm....kendo stick or 40 S&W.....I think I know which one I'd choose!!

At my facility there is a group of them meeting before us. They remind me of video gamers more than martial artists. Same kind of folks that dress up for Renaissance festivals.

i studiued kendo for a short while until switching to kenjutsu/iaijutsu. it does have benefits: improving hand/eye coordination and reaction time, footwork, and the fear of getting hit with a stick. it's not a combat-oriented field of study; it's more of the japanese equivalent of fencing with an epee. kenjutsu/iaijutsu is more of a combat "art"; the student begins with heavy wooden swords (bokken), then moves on to non-sharpened steel or aluminum swords (iaito), until finally moving on to live swords (katana/shinken).

Spent several years in both Kendo and Iaido. Also spent time in Burmese Bando, and a mix of other styles related to the early days of full contact fighting.

Kendo was fun but I grew tired of being limited to four targets as opposed to the traditional sword forms. I was blessed with the former #3 man in the world as a senior instructor. It was an experience watching that little "old" man whip the tar out of the cocky young experts when they got out of line ego wise.

Iaido was more serious and not for the people who don't take their training seriously. Live blade fast draw and combat forms will keep you on your toes or else.

If you want a serious defensive art these are not it but they are a true martial art and will teach you much of control, speed and fast reactions.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

thanks for all replies.if i decide to do it,it will be at U.T. in Austin. im not a U.T. student ,but its about the only place in Austin that has kendo.
    http://studentorgs.utexas.edu/utkendo/
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    If you're thinking about getting smacked around by a stick, I would recommend kali, silat, krabi-krabong or arnis before kendo, as they promote more "real world" applicable skills. Anything is better than just sitting on the couch watching TV, though.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Links