Defensive Carry get together

This is a discussion on Defensive Carry get together within the Member Meeting Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I know people on this site live all over the country, but has there ever been a get together where everyone could meet? I personally ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defensive Carry get together

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Defensive Carry get together

I know people on this site live all over the country, but has there ever been a get together where everyone could meet? I personally would jump at the opportunity to meet some of you.

2. Remove Ads

We had a meet and greet from the 1911forum a couple years ago in Vegas during the SHOT show. Tons of fun to put faces with the anonymous screen names. Problem was, we had about 200 folks swear to show up, but only turned out with around 50.

Did you all wear name badges with your avatars on it?

Assistant Administrator
    With the spread of locations and the size of our great nation - pretty difficult to achieve, and actually get a large attendance (IMO).

I have been lucky enough to meet a few folks who are in my approx region - and one or two who stopped by when traveling (Kompact9 was one).

Otherwise ... met some folks down at Tulsa gun show last year - that was good but it was only in total about 5 or 6 ... one was Fed_wif_a_sig.

Then further back at Dallas Market Hall gun show in June 2003, also managed to meet a coupla folks. Always seems easier to achieve than it turns out to be.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    Did you all wear name badges with your avatars on it?
    LOL thats a great idea

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Otherwise ... met some folks down at Tulsa gun show last year - that was good but it was only in total about 5 or 6 ... one was Fed_wif_a_sig.
    I would like to meet Fed_wif_a_Sig. I bet he is a real nice guy. I have learned a lot by reading his posts.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Always seems easier to achieve than it turns out to be.
    I was also thinking the get together should be a Gun Free Zone...meaning maybe we should raffle off a free gun to those attending.

met some folks down at Tulsa gun show last year uhhh, it's 2008, it was 2 years ago. LOL. And I was even there but I just missed everyone cause I left the phone numbers at home. Doh!!!

We are planning another Get Together again on The High Road. I went last year and it was a blast. Even had one guy that traveled the farthest, He was from Norway!!!

I love the idea of seeing gun forums organize meet and greets, but if you really want to have one, you gotta organize one. Then you'll understand how hard it is to do.

I've organized shoots for years, but the times we've had 60+ people show up, I'd have nightmares thinking about what it would be like to have a place where 600 people had to be accommodated.

The best idea I've had for gun forums is to organize regional shoots all over the Country on the same weekend. That way you could all get together in a region and then post after actions and see what fun everyone had. We did something like that at TFL a few years ago with the Utah and Pennsylvania guys. We named a TFL weekend and just hit the range at the same time.

If Bumper wanted to think about it, maybe pick a weekend in the summer and spread the word on the forum about likely places where members could organize locations to meet.

Just an idea.

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    Last year in June, we in Kansas got together at a range that was kinda about the center of the state. People came from just about all areas of the state. We were at a range that let us shoot up to .50 cal rifles, it had a steel course with all kinds of things to shoot at. Everyone brought enough food for themselves and some others, had a giant BBQ and talked and shot and had a really good time. Took us about 4 months to get everything together. Don't even know what it would take to get something on a national or even regional scale. If ya can pull it off, it is great.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

Senior Moderator
    I was at that Tulsa gunshow and even talked to P95 on the phone, but we were out eating at some little barbecue place in town. We just could'nt get it together.If you've ever been to the Tulsa Gunshow..that place is HUGE. I always thought it'd be fun to meet some of the people here. Even if it was a state thing it'd still be fun I think.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

The 1911forum doesn't have avatars, so we just walked around and introduced ourselves. Screen name tags would have been a great idea! Phoenix has wonderful gunshows, the largest in December with the inclusion of the Class III group. I'm known for wearing untucked Hawaiian shirts over a t-shirt for CCW, since they're so obnoxious nobody will even look for a gun. Three years ago, I started a thread about anyone wanting to meet at that show should wear a Hawaiian shirt. We must have had 30 1911forum guys find each other there, and had the "ugliest shirt contest". Great times!

Assistant Administrator
    met some folks down at Tulsa gun show last year uhhh, it's 2008, it was 2 years ago. LOL. And I was even there but I just missed everyone cause I left the phone numbers at home. Doh!!!
    Haha - sorry Leonard - senior (new year) moment LOL - indeed yes April 2006 it was. Excellent trip and the show was awesome - did purchase a nice M29-3 so felt I'd scored something, even if price was a bit high.

As time goes on tho and with costs rising, it's hard to envisage repeating such trips again. That said, if anyone is even remotely passing thru my corner of PA - they are mandated to let me know in advance!!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

LOL. I know what you mean about the new year.

One of these days I'll have to travel that way. I've never been east of the Mississippi.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    We should do it here in Vermont where all of your permits are accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Young View Post
    I love the idea of seeing gun forums organize meet and greets, but if you really want to have one, you gotta organize one. Then you'll understand how hard it is to do.

I've organized shoots for years, but the times we've had 60+ people show up, I'd have nightmares thinking about what it would be like to have a place where 600 people had to be accommodated.

The best idea I've had for gun forums is to organize regional shoots all over the Country on the same weekend. That way you could all get together in a region and then post after actions and see what fun everyone had. We did something like that at TFL a few years ago with the Utah and Pennsylvania guys. We named a TFL weekend and just hit the range at the same time.

If Bumper wanted to think about it, maybe pick a weekend in the summer and spread the word on the forum about likely places where members could organize locations to meet.

Just an idea.
    We tried to do one in Central Florida...2 dozen said they would attend...eventually...only six showed up...but I did enjoy meeting the others and put actual faces with names...

The way we found each other was to make sure that each of us wore our CCW badges...(just kidding, of course).

Wouldn't mind trying it again!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links