Another shooting forum! NC here (long read)

This is a discussion on Another shooting forum! NC here (long read) within the Member Meeting Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; It's always nice to find a shooting forum I missed. I'm another junkie to all things that go bang. A quick intro: I have shot ...

Thread: Another shooting forum! NC here (long read)

Another shooting forum! NC here (long read)

It's always nice to find a shooting forum I missed. I'm another junkie to all things that go bang.

A quick intro: I have shot every discipline of rifle, shotgun or handguns, except for SASS. I thought seriously thought of joining, but after spending a month of so at their forums, I was really shocked with the rude reception I received from the majority of the members. One went so far as to tell me my questions were not worth answering since I was a "guest". No one said anything about the comment so I moved on.

I was one of the first Certified CCH Instructors in NC, but I don't teach anymore for health reasons. I do miss teaching, but those 12 hour classes are just too much. I'm still active in NRA Instruction in Pistol, Home Firearms Safety and Personal defense.

At the moment, Rim fire Bench rest is about all I can handle competition wise. I will soon be back in Center fire Bench rest. No more big bore, but I am rebuilding my target rifles in 243 and smaller calibers that I can handle. I do my training with a CZ 452 Varmint in 17 HMR. I was skeptical, but using the same optic as my competition rifles wear (Leupold VariX III 6.5 x 20), and the same rest, it is a perfect practice tool. It shoots under 1.5" @ 200 yards, and 2.5" @ 300 yards. Amazing for a 17 gr bullet.

I still get in plenty of handgun time at the range, although shooting my auto loaders and shagging brass has me shooting my revolvers much more.

With all the free time on my hands, I hope to have my reloading barn cleaned up and heat installed soon. Collecting guns is my full time hobby now. Below are a few of my findings:

Miami Vice Collection: My goal is to own every gun Don Johnson carried in the show. Here's what I have so far:

"Browning" BDA: (Sig 220 with Brownings name on it. The only difference is the mag release is on the bottom of the mag well. It shoots like a dream, but the awkward release rules it out as a carry gun.

Sig P220
    : This one is giving me fits. This gun was only carried in 3 shows. (When Crockett assumed his undercover role after an explosion) The gun had a dark slide over a light colored frame, and the chamber had a light finish also. I have used slow motion on a VHS tape to ID the gun, and it's for sure a Sig. The distinctive hammer shape and the huge diameter of the slide release confirmed that. I have an idea that the gun had the frame hard chromed so it would show up better in the night scenes. (They had the famous Bren Ten Slide changed from black to hard chrome for the night scenes also. [actually the Bren 45, because 10 mm blanks were impossible to find] IF ANYONE KNOWS OF A SIG 220 WITH A BLACK OVER SILVER FINISH, PLEASE LET ME KNOW THE MODEL! This gun shoots on the level of most quality 1911's, and I do use it for a primary carry gun at times.

Detonics Combat Master 45acp: This is one of the original Detonics, made before they went bank rupt. Crockett carried this gun with an ankle holster as a backup, and was only used in several shows.
    What a Handgun! This little 45 holds it's on with an full size 1911 at 25 yards offhand. The only draw backs are no grip safety, and the loaded magazine indicator that protrudes from the bottom of the magazine. If you get in a hurry, it can put a small cut in your hand.
    I am so impressed with this gun It is my primary carry gun. It fits in the Galco officers size belt holster, and has a thumbreak to negate the lack of a grip safety. I use Galco's full size carry belt and their one piece, 2 magazine holder leather to complete the carry rig.

S&W 4506. The gun was used because it resembles the Bren Ten, which was dropped because of the constant malfunctions when filming.
    (it's also the gun Vic Makey carries on "The Shield"

S&W 645: also used a a Bren Ten look alike. It's really hard to tell the difference, since the 645 has 2 piece grips like the Bren, and not the one piece wrap around 4506 grips. I had forgotten just how much fun it is to shoot those old lumbering S&W autos. It took me 5 shots to get used to the 1" creep of the single action trigger on those guns.
    They are much more accurate than a gun with such loose tolerances has the right to be. They still feed ANY ammo, factory or reloads.
    The 4506 is my nightstand gun. It also gets carried sometimes and balances out well in it's Galco Miami Rig shoulder holster.

Bren Ten: Yeah Right. I actually found one in the box in 1995. Had I known I would find every gun EXCEPT the Bren, I would have sold one of my skeet guns and bought the gun and had it hard chromed.
    I hate buying a gun that isn't shootable (those guns were DANGEROUS). The majority of the 10mm had catastrophic failures,
    as in cracked slides or frames. It just was not made to handle the pressures of the 10mm.

I do own the proper leather used in the show for everyone of these guns. It's been a fun project. I really don't know a good source, but getting the frame hard chromed on the Sig 220 is my next goal.
    That would leave only the Bren Ten. Never say never, but the chances of finding one are slim. But I never thought I would own a Colt SAA, much less a 2nd gen gun in the rare 38spl offering, with the box and papers. Maybe I'll get lucky one more time.

I wont bore you with the rest of my handguns, maybe when I get a web page. Let's just say most of my guns are Colt's & Smiths, and I'm scarred to shoot them any more with their values sky rocketting daily.

Thanks for the read

Gene

2. Remove Ads

Welcome from SC! That's interesting about your collecting. You will find the members here to be very helpful. Hope you find that Bren Ten. Are you getting that big storm about right now?

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Glad you are here.Good luck with the collection.

VIP Member
    Welcome from Goldsboro, that is going to one tough collection to build.

Welcome from Fayetteville, NC. I like the collection. Neat project.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Greetings from California.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Welcome aboard!
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by tk4878 View Post
    Welcome from SC! That's interesting about your collecting. You will find the members here to be very helpful. Hope you find that Bren Ten. Are you getting that big storm about right now?
    4 to 5 inches of snow this morning.
    Where did you get that red headed German
    Shepherd? My Big Red stud dog needs a date.

Administrator
    Nice Intro & great hobby!
    I still do carry the SIG/Browning BDA sometimes.
    It's my most accurate handgun but, yes...the butt mag release takes some real practice and some true getting used to.

Too bad that DETONICSUSA cannot seem to get their act together.
    They really had all of the bugs worked out of getting a radically chopped 1911 to feed any ammo configuration 100% of the time.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Welcome from Colorado! Minus 8 this morning. I think you will find this forum to a whole different experience. The people here are unlike people on any other forum I've seen. Great advice mixed in with some very timely humor. Glad you are here!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Welcome from the coast.

SIG 220EL - it has a rail though.
    Deputy Director of Training
    LMSDefense
    www.lmsdefense.com
    troyprice@lmsdefense.com

It is not the ability to master the extraordinary that makes a warrior special; what makes a warrior special is the ability to master the basics extraordinarily well. - (author unknown)

Well your dog would be barking up the wrong tree. Vic is a male.
    We got him from a breeder in GA. Nice dogs by the way.

Links