AZ: Come support SB 1214 on Monday Feb18

This is a discussion on AZ: Come support SB 1214 on Monday Feb18 within the Member Meeting Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; If you live in Arizona come support SB 1214 in Senate Hearing Room 1 on Monday Feb 18th @ 1:30 PM ....

Thread: AZ: Come support SB 1214 on Monday Feb18

My Blog: Dustin's Gun Blog

Memberships: NRA USCCA SAF GOA AZCDL NWSA

According to the National Safety Council, we are more likely to die in a bicycle accident or plane crash than an accidental gun shooting. We should ban bicycles & planes before banning guns.

Wish I was close, I would come.!!!

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    You had better believe I'm going to be there. This bill will effect me DIRECTLY. If I can't, you'll hear a message written by me to be read.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    You had better believe I'm going to be there. This bill will effect me DIRECTLY. If I can't, you'll hear a message written by me to be read.
    Did you make it? I went there with my son. I estimate that those in favor of the legislation outnumbered those against it by about 2 to 1. I also noticed that those against the bill used a lot of made up "what if" scenarios - when asked if they could share any specific examples they were dumbfounded - could not think of any example. The proponents on the other had had very good real life examples & statistical data to share to back up their viewpoints.

According to the National Safety Council, we are more likely to die in a bicycle accident or plane crash than an accidental gun shooting. We should ban bicycles & planes before banning guns.

For anyone interested you can watch the archived video of the hearing here. The first 10 minutes are for another bill. The SB 1214 hearing begins at roughly the 10 min:24 sec mark. Initially you'll hear an overview of what the bill does as well as thoughts from AZ Senator Karen Johnson. The testimonials from those against the bill begin @ about the 0hr:14min:30sec mark. They were not asked to avoid repetition so you'll find that each testimonial basically covers the same points over & over. You can sum up their talking points with the following:

1) more guns = more bad, more accidents, more death
    2) Police will be too confused if there is more than one person with a gun at the scene (a bad guy or gal & one or more good guys or gals)
    3) citizens with guns will use their guns to kill in situations that without guns would have ended in nothing more than a heated argument, yelling, or perhaps a severe physical beating.

When asked, none of them were able to cite specific events where the above took place. They simply went on about imaginary "what if" scenarios with zero evidence to support their arguments based on nothing more than their own fear of guns.

The testimonies of those in favor of the bill began @ 1hr:05min:12sec. Due to time constraints & the fact that there were so many there to speak in favor of the bill, those in favor were asked to only bring up items that had not yet been discussed by other proponents. Even with that constraint, we managed to speak in favor of the bill for roughly 1 hr & 19 min's until the 2hr:24min:30sec mark which is when they list people who have submitted their stance against the bill online but did not sign up to speak. At 2hr:27min:50sec they begin the list of those in favor of the bill that did not speak. All done by 2:29:00 where they move on to SB 1408.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Nah I wasn't able to make it. I was packed and ready to head to Phoenix for the weekend, too. I came down with the flu and was in pretty poor shape at the time of the hearing. I couldn't even get to the hearing to submit a written argument!!! I sadly had no idea I could submit somehting online. ARRGH!!

azleg.org lists 1214 as being voted on. 4-3-0-0. (4-Yes, 3-No)

Format Document

I'm curious if this meets the requirements for passing on up the chain?
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Sponsored Links