Little Rock, Ark

Little Rock, Ark

This is a discussion on Little Rock, Ark within the Member Meeting Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My wife followed me for my military years / and a whole lot more. Now that I'm retired / unemployed, I've agreed to follow her; ...

Thread: Little Rock, Ark

Little Rock, Ark

My wife followed me for my military years / and a whole lot more. Now that I'm retired / unemployed, I've agreed to follow her; she is seriously thinking of accepting a University teaching job in Little Rock, Ark.

How easy or difficult (to attain) is concealed carry; perhaps open carry, or just plain gun-owner friendly is this area? Imagine this: that and my dogs are my biggest concerns: is that stingy - or not?

Good, bad, indifferent; or as I suspect, mostly whatever I make of it.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Concealed carry permit is not a problem to get in Arkansas. Sorry it has to be Little Rock that you're moving to, of all places in Arkansas !!!! Get in touch with Hotguns on this forum. He is an instructor I believe.
    Let me clarify, nothing against Little Rock, but take a look at country living in the Ozarks.
    Last edited by Gunnutty; February 24th, 2008 at 12:45 AM. Reason: Clarification
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

No open carry, concealed only. Once you have established residency here, getting a CHL isn't too difficult.

Little Rock is a great small southern city with a lot of positives. If your wife is looking at UALR/UAMS, she'll enjoy it. Local community is putting a lot of $ into the school to improve it.

Senior Moderator
    UALR ?

The only open carry allowed is in the when in the act of hunting. That is it. Everything else is concealed carry.

If you can pass a background check, its not a big deal. The Arkansas State Police requires a 5 hour class to aquire the permit, and a live fire session that proves proficiency with the weapon. Cost of the permit is 144.25 and its good for 5 years and is good in 31 states.

For the most part, Arkansas is a pretty gun friendly state. Its still common to see guns in the windows of pickup trucks. Like most other big citys, LR has some big city attitudes when it comes to cops and politicians and crime.

If you need more info, PM me. I'll be glad to help.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Mapquest says it's 9 hours away from me. Other than that, personally, I don't know anything about Ark - so I can't even ask intelligent questions at this time.

I do know that I would prefer country living, and LR isn't that. Thanks, I'll holler if it becomes a fact.

Welcome to Arkansas! Don't mind if I 'jump the gun' do you? I think you'll like it, and commuting to LR from say Conway, Benton, Malvern, or some of the smaller cities shouldn't be much of an issue. I live on the outskirts of a small city in the county and drive 122 miles round trip to work 3 or 4 days a week. I have several friends down around the LR area and those other towns I mentioned. If you own or drive a Dodge truck, you'll fit right in with them. LOL

Welcome to AR! When you come out here, I suggest looking into living on the west side of town out by the river..US 430 to Cantrell, hwy 10(just south of the river) go west out past Pinnical State park..your'e still close to the city but out in the country if you know what I mean..South of LR is Benton and Hot Springs..more of a retirement settlement down that way..as for the permit, everything mentioned above applies..agn, welcome to AR

I was born and raised in Georgia, live about three years in Florida then moved to Arkansas. Arkansas is great. I have been here almost 5 years. I love the country side because you can see the flat delta areas, or go the mountains. Lots of water and wow, almost every critter you can think of lives here. The people are great. Of course there are some bad people and places in Little Rock but I have seen that in every other city I have lived.

Getting a concealed Carry Permit is not hard. There are many shooting clubs about the state from USPSA, IDPA, hi powered rifle as well as trap and skeet.

I live in Maumelle, on the outskirts of Little Rock. This is a great community to live in and growing fast.

Arkansas does not deserve the reputation that other people in other states have given it. I beleve the people here prefer to keep how great it is a secret.

here is a thought..roughly the population of Dallas-Ft Worth area is abt 2.5 million people..the population of the whole state of AR is roughly 2.5 million people..btw, I am proud to stat for a fact, there is not one stop light or flashing light in the county that I live in, not many counties can boast that!

Arkansas does not deserve the reputation that other people in other states have given it. I beleve the people here prefer to keep how great it is a secret.

Well my ideal place would be warm year round, w/o any tornadoes.
    Where my dogs can freely run and I can shoot in my own back yard.

The price of gas dictates that I live nearby to where she works.
    She's still receiving offers and mulling them over,
    but the $ offered here is (so far) best.
    We won't be hurried this time.

Sponsored Links