Vermont Ranges

This is a discussion on Vermont Ranges within the Member Meeting Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm looking for a new range in VT and was hoping to find some help here. I currently go to the Sportsmans Club of Franklin ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vermont Ranges

Vermont Ranges

I'm looking for a new range in VT and was hoping to find some help here. I currently go to the Sportsmans Club of Franklin County, but I'd like to find someplace a little better. Their indoor range is rarely open and their outdoor range is too long (25 yards is the shortest). I live in the Cambridge area, so something down in Bennington is very much out of the picture.

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

You've probably already checked these links but just in case.
    Don't know of any personally.

Shooting Range - National Registry

Hunt and Shoot.org | Welcome
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

~Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    I've looked around and haven't found any indoor ranges close by other than the one you're using. I didn't join that club for the reasons you state. It's only open one (or maybe two) nights a week and only for a couple of hours. There was an indoor range in Colchester, but it closed after only a year or two. It's hard to get people to pay to do something that most of us can do for free in our backyards. The only problem with that is during the winter it's hard to do, although I have been out 4 times this winter on some of the nicer days.

I shoot in my parents backyard. They have 200 acres and we set up our targets in front of a huge pile of dirt (over 10 ft high) they put in front of the woods for this reason. Now that it's starting to warm up, I'll be out shooting a lot more.

I'm from Fairfax, so basically, right next door. I'm close enough you might be able to hear me when I'm shooting.

If you don't need it to be indoor, the chittenden county fish and game club in jonesville is a good place as is the lamoille valley fish and game club in morrisville (that might be closer for you).
    Oh, and welcome to the forum by the way!
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

Great thanks!

I wish I could use this nice property that I live on, but I rent and there are lots of other houses near me and I'm sure people would probably have some issues with it. I've got a good rapport with my landlord, but I'm not sure I want to risk asking him permission to shoot on his land and find out that he's opposed to firearms and ruin what I have.

Hi All,

I live in Georgia, work in Williston.

I shoot at the Underhill Rod and Gun Club sometimes. The pistol range is about 25 yards, and they also have some swinging steel targets. The pistol lane doubles as a 200 yard rifle range, but it's very rarely used. You could set your targets up and stand closer if you wanted to since it's so rarely used. There are a lot of trap and skeet shooters at this club.

I've only got 1.6 acres and nowhere to set up my own range. I wish I had that luxury.
    Rob - The Erstwhile Vermont Fat Ba*d

Quote Originally Posted by VTFatBa*d View Post
    Hi All,

I live in Georgia, work in Williston.
    Welcome to the forum. It's being overtaken by Vermonters.

It's a small world, I grew up in Georgia.

Vermont Get Togethers

Hi All,

Do all the Vermonters ever get together for some shooting? I'd be interested in meeting some other Vermont shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by VTFatBa*d View Post
    Hi All,

Do all the Vermonters ever get together for some shooting? I'd be interested in meeting some other Vermont shooters.
    We haven't yet. But I've only been here since December. It looks like two of you guys are in the towns to either side of mine. I could walk to Georgia or Cambridge from here in Fairfax.

We should get together for some range time. We just need to find a place we can all use.

We should get together for some range time. We just need to find a place we can all use.
    Well, the Underhill club is pretty nice, or I can bring my Tuffsteel stands anywhere else that works. I prefer to wait until the snow melts, but I've snowshoes if necessary. :-)

I live in Montpelier and go to a range in Richmond, I think it's the Chittenden one that someone mentioned earlier. I'd be interested in getting together as well. My shooting buddy is moving out of state to go to med school and I'm gonna need someone else to shoot with. Send a PM if you guys figure out a time or place. Thanks!
    Mike

Spring Break Fallujah '06
    "Always Flexible"

Definitely wait until it's warmer. I was out shooting a few times this winter and now I'm good to wait until the temp is above 40.

I have a PVC stand I built about a month ago that I can't wait to try out.

CurmudgeonVT
    Just found this forum - pleased to see some locals. I recently relocated here and am currently in Fairfax and looking for some reasonable range options. Where I am there is no shooting on the property. Looking forward to possibly meeting some of the locals.

Wow. You're so close you might hear me shooting when I go out. How close to Steeple Market are you?

CurmudgeonVT
    Up Bush Hollow a half mile, looking down on the village from the heights - across the street from the Game Warden of the Year...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links