Looking for a Shop in Northern VA!

This is a discussion on Looking for a Shop in Northern VA! within the Member Meeting Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm looking for a shop somewhere in Northern VA, I am in Fairfax near Reston. I know of Blue Ridge Arsenal and plan to check ...

Thread: Looking for a Shop in Northern VA!

Looking for a Shop in Northern VA!

I'm looking for a shop somewhere in Northern VA, I am in Fairfax near Reston. I know of Blue Ridge Arsenal and plan to check them out but rememebr them being very pricey last i was in there. Prefer a 'small town' type shop and attitude, where the owner works there and knows a lot and cares about customer service.

Any recommendations?

2. Remove Ads

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    If your looking for ranges heres what you got:

NRA
    BRA (Blue Ridge Aresnal)
    Gilberts (Alexandria area)

IF your looking for a shop to buy stuff at:
    BRA of course
    Bruce Furr in vienna Jfurr@cox.net has a nice shop in his home
    Gilberts
    Virginia Arms Manassas
    Guns and Ammo Warehouse in Manassas
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I've been to all the ones rob posted, except the Bruce Furr in Vienna. New one to me...hmm...me thinks a new trip coming up.

You could try Loudoun Guns out in Leesburg as well. It's right down Route7 and hang a left on Catoctin Circle just inside downtown leesburg. The shop is on the right just past the VFD. I tend to end up there because it's closer to me then BRA since I moved further west (and tends to be slightly less expensive as well).
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Ah cool i wasn't aware that Gilberts had a range, What's the general opinion of BRA? I'm thinking of joining up...$35/mo, so if i shoot for ~ 2hr a month which I'd absolutely love to do then i'm breaking even.

Their prices do seem high though. I was looking at a G23 with night sights for $589, they wanted $650 for the same. Only issue is the $589 was a buddy in MD so I'd need to pay the xfer fees and be basically breaking even.

VIP Member
    The only one I don't see on the list is Purcell's in Purcellville, if you are willing to go for a drive in the country. Not a great stocking selection, but he can order most anything. He competes on price and the owner runs the place. He occasionally has awesome specials depending on what he has ordered.

Been to Mr. Furr in Vienna/Reston. Not much stock, but if you know what you want he can get it and the owner runs it obviously. He even demo'd take down on my new Sig I was picking up from him.

I'd say Loudoun Guns and Virginia Arms are the big "stocking" dealers. A good bit of inventory in both. Prices are a bit more than the non-stocking places for the obvious reasons. LG is run by the owner who is there a fair bit, his cousin is the manager, his wife...you get the idea. Not that familiar with VA, but I have friends that buy there regularly and are happy with the shop. I understand the owner runs it.

BRA - Good range, but I haven't bought a gun there since LG opened in Leesburg. I used to live out in western Loudoun, so it was a hike to get to BRA for higher prices and no selection. They have greatly improved the range under the new ownership and I believe it is worth the money for a nearby indoor facility, so obviously I'm a member. They also allow rifle and shotgun now, where before it was extremely limited.

There is always the Nation's Gun Show coming up in a few weeks. Chantilly Expo Center on Rte 28 near Rte 50.

If you are looking for outdoor ranges and or clay shooting there are several good places in the area. Bull Run Park (NVRPA), Arlington/Fairfax IWLA and Loudoun IWLA all have clay shooting. The two IWLA chapters also have outdoor rifle pistol ranges out to 100yds.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    The only one I don't see on the list is Purcell's in Purcellville, if you are willing to go for a drive in the country. Not a great stocking selection, but he can order most anything. He competes on price and the owner runs the place. He occasionally has awesome specials depending on what he has ordered.

Been to Mr. Furr in Vienna/Reston. Not much stock, but if you know what you want he can get it and the owner runs it obviously. He even demo'd take down on my new Sig I was picking up from him.

I'd say Loudoun Guns and Virginia Arms are the big "stocking" dealers. A good bit of inventory in both. Prices are a bit more than the non-stocking places for the obvious reasons. LG is run by the owner who is there a fair bit, his cousin is the manager, his wife...you get the idea. Not that familiar with VA, but I have friends that buy there regularly and are happy with the shop. I understand the owner runs it.

BRA - Good range, but I haven't bought a gun there since LG opened in Leesburg. I used to live out in western Loudoun, so it was a hike to get to BRA for higher prices and no selection. They have greatly improved the range under the new ownership and I believe it is worth the money for a nearby indoor facility, so obviously I'm a member. They also allow rifle and shotgun now, where before it was extremely limited.

There is always the Nation's Gun Show coming up in a few weeks. Chantilly Expo Center on Rte 28 near Rte 50.

If you are looking for outdoor ranges and or clay shooting there are several good places in the area. Bull Run Park (NVRPA), Arlington/Fairfax IWLA and Loudoun IWLA all have clay shooting. The two IWLA chapters also have outdoor rifle pistol ranges out to 100yds.
    My dad is a member of IWLA, and I used to be on the rifle team there. It's a gorgeous place to shoot but not as convinient for me. Also since I am not a member he'd always have to be out there with me, which isn't always possible for our schedules. I'm looking into joining BRA, but I'm not sure if I would get benefit out of the other membership benefits. Their prices do seem higher for new firearms, so even saving $25 on them doesn't help me much, and I don't know that i'd be buying 4 anytime soon...just one or two.

the NRA range is ~$30/mo vs $35/mo at BRA. I do like that I can shoot rifle and shotgun at BRA, though clay pigeons i probably will just trek to bull run or IWLA.

The staff there did seem pretty knowledgeable, and were definitely very nice in working with me patiently while I tried to decide on what to buy.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by FearSheeple View Post
    My dad is a member of IWLA, and I used to be on the rifle team there. It's a gorgeous place to shoot but not as convinient for me. Also since I am not a member he'd always have to be out there with me, which isn't always possible for our schedules. I'm looking into joining BRA, but I'm not sure if I would get benefit out of the other membership benefits. Their prices do seem higher for new firearms, so even saving $25 on them doesn't help me much, and I don't know that i'd be buying 4 anytime soon...just one or two.

the NRA range is ~$30/mo vs $35/mo at BRA. I do like that I can shoot rifle and shotgun at BRA, though clay pigeons i probably will just trek to bull run or IWLA.

The staff there did seem pretty knowledgeable, and were definitely very nice in working with me patiently while I tried to decide on what to buy.

Heres the one down side to NRA. If you shoot on weekends, then your going to have to wait a long time to get a lane. If you shoot on fridays evening you have nothing to worry about.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Links