Another Attempt for FL Forum Members...

This is a discussion on Another Attempt for FL Forum Members... within the Member Meeting Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We tried it the first time...6 out of 20 showed... Some others tried it a second time...I'm not sure what happened...I wasn't available anyway. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Attempt for FL Forum Members...

We tried it the first time...6 out of 20 showed...
    Some others tried it a second time...I'm not sure what happened...I wasn't available anyway.

I am willing to try and schedule a lunch in June...third weekend (plenty of notice) for a final attempt at getting Central Florida Forum Members together for a lunch...

I am interested in securing the commitment of at least 20 of you for this to be a success...

The first one was enjoyable, even though only 1/2 dozen showed. It is nice to put names with handles...

Let's shoot for June 21st...it's a Saturday...somewhere in Orlando...or some other place...

Let this be the beginning of a huge get-together...

OPEN for discussion...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Ron
    I was at the first and it was nice meeting some of the other members, but somewhat disappointing because of the surprisingly small showing.

I would come again if I felt that, as Ken wrote, we would have a large turn-out. I am in Jupiter, and would be willing to take my car if some of you members from around my way or south of me want to meet and drive together.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Bump...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Woohoo! Let's do it. It was definitely fun last time. I think I should get one of those GPS things for my car though, LOL. Driving around looking for a wireless signal for my laptop so I could get on Mapquest made for a memorable experience.

I even bought a gun out of the trip. First Edition Walther PPS from Gander Mountain.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

First off let me say kudos to you all for making the attempt in the first place. The first step. You'll need some background to work with in order to decipher things I'm about to say, and I hope I portray my opinions in a tactful manner and not intended in any way to suggest anything, but simple observations from my experiences. I'm a member of a vehicle enthusiast website forum---worldwide forum. There are separate state forums and most all of the fifty states have their own forum. Our Arkansas state forum has been in existence since January of 2006, two plus years and a current roster of 30 active members. We also advertise in order to gain more members. Most of our numerous GTG's or (get togethers) have been held at state parks, car/truck shows, and in membership concentrated communities. One must realize there are forum members who are active on the website, members who are active outside the website, and both. Sometimes folks say they will or want to do something in real life to become closer and interact, and those who truly commit to the effort. Logistics plays an important role in scheduling gatherings. There are jobs, weather, family, and economic situations that come to bear. I don't think our state chapter has ever seen more than seven members at any one single gathering. Members from adjacent states have joined in our designated meets, and we've become an intramural mix of those who are outgoing enough, and commit to furthering our interests and becoming a closer knit community. Personally, I'm a better person every time I meet up with the members or new members. Note---this is a vehicle enthusiast venue and folks are generally outgoing to some extent, and like to show off their rides and creations. A firearms enthusiast membership venue may cause some folks to be a bit uneasy or less willing to make real life contact with others as it's more of a private thing for them where barriers need to be knocked down. Granted they should feel somewhat comfortable through the interactions on the site, and being around like minded individuals who wish to share their culture, decisions, information, and personalities. Guaranteed-some are more than willing to do this and some are not. It may even be a sub-conscious reason where they want to show, but back out at the last minute. Peer pressure won't work in any instance, and may cause some on the borderline to back off completely. Those of you whom have taken up the cause should have the motivation to continue the effort even in light of low turnout numbers. Also----never, (never) be disappointed for any gathering that has come to pass. If you feel disappointment now---you're setting your expectations too high and bound to fail. Never display disappointment to the rest of the membership. If you are yourself committed, you'll only become stronger every time you schedule or make a meet amongst fellow members. Hint---barbeques, car washes, swap meets, and fund-raisers are all good viable opportunities for gatherings. We all now realize also what effects the price of gasoline have on meetings and gatherings for fun, so make them worthwhile and maybe more will come. In the meantime---stick to your guns! Your expectations aren't everyones, and great things will happen in due time. I didn't mean to butt in, but felt the need to convey my experiences, and being the person I am, I truly wish you all success on this deal. I'm the president of our state chapter forum, I'm motivated, serious, and persistent. Myself and a couple of good friends got our state chapter on the boards and where it is today. Several of us maintain the commitment now---it used to be only me.

Retsupt99, you know you can count me in. Also good for a little range time afterward if my left shoulder is behaving. (Looks like I tore another rotator cuff) Also, the boat's about habitable. You're always welcome to come by. Perhaps a little cognac on the aft deck at sunset?
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Senior Moderator
    I'm all for it, but...

That weekend is my anniversary weekend, so I'm probably not going to be around that weekend.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I enjoyed the last one, even though I couldn't shoot afterwards. I'll plan on it!

Bump...

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    BTW, FL members (particularly central Florida):

The Titusville club is holding two IDPA events next month.

Sun, 5/11 @ 0900 - IDPA classifier
    Sun, 5/18 @ 0900 - Monthly IDPA match

Lots of fun, a good bunch and very good scenarios.

If anyone is interested, we could carpool from Casselberry / Altamonte Springs / etc.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.

Hmm, what about some more info on those?

Senior Moderator
    Sure.

The classifier is a standard set of drills that are used to place the shooter into one of five categories (Master, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman or Novice). The course descriptions can be found on the IDPA site, International Defensive Pistol Association.

The matches are usually 5 or 6 stages, using a variety of different targets, including the standard cardboard IDPA target, steel plates and a variety of moving targets. The Titusville range has six different range bays, several of which have buildings that are used for the different stages.

Most importantly, it's a friendly group and a lot of fun. You do not have to be an IDPA member to shoot your first match, and the group is very helpful to new shooters.

Here are a couple videos from the last match, to give you an idea what it's like:

YouTube - Titusville IDPA
    YouTube - IDPA Titusville 4-20-08 Stage 5 "Shotgun"
    Matt

sounds like fun just i will be out of the Usa after june 13 for aleast a month

What do you need as far as ammo and equipment?

Senior Moderator
    IDPA was designed from the first days to use real-world concealed carry gear. No race guns, no magnetic holsters, etc.

For equipment, you'll need:

- A safe, serviceable handgun of 9x19mm or larger caliber
    - An IWB or OWB holster worn on the strong side. The holster must be of the type commonly worn for concealed carry (no drop holsters, etc.)
    - Three magazines or speedloaders (few stages will ever call for 2 reloads but it's good to have a spare for malfunctions, etc).
    - A cover garment (most courses of fire start from concealment)

As far as ammo goes, the qualifier is 90 rounds. Matches are usually ~100 rounds.

You can find the IDPA rulebook on line here: http://www.idpa.com/Documents/IDPARuleBook2005.pdf

Matt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links