Attention Tennesseans!!!

This is a discussion on Attention Tennesseans!!! within the Member Meeting Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; hello! I have just recently moved to the wonderful state of TN, more specifically, the tri cities area. I was wondering a few things. 1. ...

Thread: Attention Tennesseans!!!

Exclamation Attention Tennesseans!!!

hello! I have just recently moved to the wonderful state of TN, more specifically, the tri cities area.
    I was wondering a few things.
    1. is anyone from the tri cities area?
    2. if so, where do u shoot?
    3. where do u go to get ur permit application?
    4. do u have to be a resident to apply? (I ask b/c I am currently a michigan resident, and have my permit there, so I can carry in TN, but as soon as I become a TN resident, my MI permit will no longer be valid I assume.. Im trying to figure out a way to not have a month or two where I cant carry)
    5. can u really not carry in state parks? thats dumb...
    (as is not being able to carry in most restaurants )
    6. what are the laws about buying guns (long- and hand-) both for those with and without their permit (im assuming i cant buy one till im a resident tho, right?)
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

2. Remove Ads

Tennessee Concealed Carry CCW Laws and Information

Right-To-Carry Law Type: Shall Issue. The citizens of the state of Tennessee have the right to keep and bear arms for their common defense; but the General Assembly has the power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms with a view to prevent crime. Any resident of Tennessee who has reached twenty-one (21) years of age may apply to the Department of Safety for a handgun permit. If the applicant is not prohibited from purchasing or possessing a firearm in this state pursuant to T.C.A. Cod 39-17-316 or 39-17-1307(b), 18 U.S.C. 9 (g) or any other state or federal law and the applicant otherwise meets all of the requirements, the department shall issue a permit to the applicant.

SECTION 1. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-1351(r)(1), is amended

Proud Sponsor of the Tennessee Law Page

Discuss Tennessee in the Tennessee Forum
    State Legal Statute Source:
    Public Chapter 905
    State Department Locations:
    Tennessee Department of Safety
    Attn: Handgun Carry Permit Office
    1150 Foster Ave
    Nashville, Tennessee 37249-1000
    Phone: (615) 251-8590

Attorney General
    P.O. Box 20207
    Nashville, Tennessee 37202
    Phone: (615) 741-3491
    Fax: (615) 741-2009

Tennessee Attorney General

State/Federal Park Locations:
    39-17-1311. Carrying weapons on public parks, playgrounds, civic centers and other public recreational buildings and grounds. -

(a) It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, with the intent to go armed, any weapon prohibited by § 39-17-1302(a), not used solely for instructional, display or sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in or on the grounds of any public park, playground, civic center or other building facility, area or property owned, used or operated by any municipal, county or state government, or instrumentality thereof, for recreational purposes.

Two points here. First, handguns are not included in § 39-17-1302(a), so you should be able to carry a handgun if the place is not posted. But, if handgun carry is not permitted then, second, nothing in the Code says you can possess the weapon in a car as long as you don't handle it. That provision is specifically permitted under TCA on school property only.

Mere possession of certain weapons under § 39-17-1302(a) are prohibited in parks. And if the park is posted (it is) then even if not listed under § 39-17-1302(a), you may not have a handgun there under:

39-17-1359. Prohibition at certain meetings - Posting notice. -

(a) An individual, corporation, business entity or local, state or federal government entity or agent thereof is authorized to prohibit the possession of weapons by any person otherwise authorized by §§ 39-17-1351 - 39-17-1360, at meetings conducted by, or on property owned, operated, or managed or under the control of the individual, corporation, business entity or government entity.
    Permit Costs & Info:
    New: $115; Renewal: $50 4 years
    Issuing Authority: Department of Public Safety, Handgun Carry Permit Office

Click Here for CCW Permit Form
    Open Carry Information:
    Tennessee is not a traditional open carry state. However, Tennessee is a shall-issue state that issues a carry permit that allows both open and concealed carry.

Tennessee CCW Reciprocity Map

States that Honor Tennessee's CCW Permit:
    Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado*, Delaware, Florida*, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas*, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan*, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia, Wyoming

* Honors RESIDENTIAL Tennessee permits only.

State CCW Permits that Tennessee Honors:
    Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wyoming,

Frequently Asked CCW Questions:

How Do I Obtain a Handgun Carry Permit?
    To obtain a handgun carry permit in Tennessee, you must first complete a handgun safety course offered by a handgun safety school that is certified by the Department of Safety. You should then make application at any Driver License Station with the exception of an Express Driver License Station. Bring with you the original copy of your safety course completion certificate and $115 NON-REFUNDABLE permit fee. This fee may be paid in cash or with a certified check. If there are no problems with the application and you meet all eligibility requirements, you should receive your permit within 90 days of the date you submit your application. Once you complete the application, you will be given a toll free number to call and schedule a fingerprint appointment. Effective July 1, 2005, all new handgun permit applicants must provide proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency unless such applicant has already provided this proof and it is documented on their driver license record.

What States Recognize Tennessee Handgun Carry Permits?
    Currently, Tennessee has signed formal reciprocity agreements with these states Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Wyoming. Persons with valid Tennessee handgun carry permits should contact the Reciprocity State for information on carrying handguns prior to entering the Reciprocity State.

How do I Renew a Handgun Carry Permit?
     Your handgun carry permit will expire four (4) years from the date it is issued.  Renewals can be submitted up to six (6) months prior to the expiration date. Any person whose handgun carry permit expires and such person applies for a renewal within six (6) months from the date of expiration, such person shall only be required to comply with the renewal provisions. However, you may not lawfully carry a weapon until you receive a new permit.  *If the renewal application is filed six (6) months or more from the date of expiration, such person shall, for all purposes, be considered a new applicant.  The fee is $50.00. A background check will be conducted on all renewal applicants. A new permit will be mailed from the Central Handgun Permit Office. Permit Holders may legally carry with the receipt provided from the application.  A permit holder can submit a Renewal Application at any Driver License Center or renew by mail. To receive a renewal application by mail call (615) 251-8590.  Complete and sign your application. Mail the application and the $50.00 fee payable by check or money order to the following address: Tennessee Department of Safety Handgun Permit Office 1150 Foster Ave. Nashville, Tn 37243-1000  Incomplete applications cannot be processed.  FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE.

Some quick info...hope it helps...others from TN will be here shortly...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

wow thanks. im at work at the moment and my lunch time is well over (spent the lunch discussing politics. i love the ppl who work here). but ill read it when i get home.
    Georg Büchner

me
    For Tricities
    I would suggest the Unaka Rod and Gun Club for both your permit course and for a home shooting range. I graduated from Milligan 2 years ago and that is where I went shooting with a friend quite often. They are good people there and they care about helping others to shoot better and safer. I never had an issue on any of their ranges.

They are in JC off of The Market Street Exit. It is up in the hilltop section of the city off of Elizabethton Highway.

Unaka Rod and Gun Club
    Last edited by me; June 26th, 2008 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Adding web address
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Thanks for the info retsupt99.

Bob
    Its always a great day, if you don't believe me try missing one.
    NRA, TFA, IDPA, 3 Gun

i have checked out unaka, as well as some of the other gun clubs, i just cant do the kind of defense training i want to at any gun club. they really are only good for target shooting
    Georg Büchner

me
    When I left Unaka was in the process of starting a "Night Shoot" but I have not been there in 2 years.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Tennessee Concealed Carry CCW Laws and Information

Some quick info...hope it helps...others from TN will be here shortly...
    One thing retsup....in Tennessee it is not a CCW permit. It is an HCP or Handgun Carry Permit. We are not required to conceal and open carry is pretty common in Tennessee.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Kettlefoot Rod and Gun Club in Bristol has an IDPA shoot on the 4th Saturday every month.
    TAC 2 in Greenville has an IDPA shoot on the 2nd Saturday every month.
    Raising children is like being pecked to death by a chicken every day.

If you haven't found it already, The Tennessee Gun Owners has a good website. You might find more people in your area to give you additional information.
    Tennessee Gun Owners
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Links