Defensive Carry Conference

This is a discussion on Defensive Carry Conference within the Member Meeting Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Has anyone ever discussed having a conference for forum members or just concealed carry folks? It would be a great way for everyone to meet, ...

Thread: Defensive Carry Conference

Has anyone ever discussed having a conference for forum members or just concealed carry folks?

It would be a great way for everyone to meet, provide some groovy training and have some fun.

I suggest Las Vegas. There are plenty of ranges in the area. Or the NRA meeting is in phoenix next year it might be possible to meet as part of the NRA conference.

Just thinking out loud, Bumper what do you think? Am I up in the night.
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

DC Founder
    Several have suggested that we have a "larger" meet and greet kind of get together before but I don't think I have ever heard of a suggestion for a conference. I wouldn't be opposed to it, although I'm not sure how many we would actually draw to such an event, how much something like that would cost, etc. Conceptually it sounds like it would be fun, though. Hopefully some other members will weigh in on this....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Well it would take some planning, however I think the goal would be to provide some socializing and some training. Keeping the costs down to participants would be the first priority.

I would provide some training for free..How about "Interactions with Law Enforcement ( the good the bad and the ugly)", or I would consider providing the UT CCW class to anyone who would want it, also free.
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

I'd fly to 'Lost Wages' just for the chance to support the state government and meet some other D.C. members...but that's just me.

Stay armed...gamble carefully...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I still think regional, or state forums would be a good idea. Chapters if you will. That way things could remain more local, and chapter meets can get things started. Think about a national meet after some of the success stories at more local levels and gauge participation. There's a very diverse membership here and plenty of economic/financial factors to think about. It's far from a bad idea, but think about if a national GTG would be held next year...in a specified place. Those that would make the meet would be seen differently in the eyes of those who wanted to, but couldn't for reasons unknown. I've been to regional meets, and I've made a national meet through an automotive forum where I actually started a state chapter. It's hard folks. Hard to keep up the interest, hard to deal with in bad weather, hard to deal with when gasoline hits $3 a gallon, hard to deal with working folks making plans or taking vacation days. There's a lot more to something like this than many of you realize. I plan on meeting with two of my fellow members that are "local' in the upcoming weeks. I think that's cool we can do this, and all three of us show interest in the meeting. It's first step, and it may be the only step, but it's a good step for us with similar interests, and because we are relatively close on the map, and frequent the same gun shop. Heck----I may even meet a co-worker at this deal! That makes interest. Would I like to meet any of you all and put flesh with a personality? You betcha! But that's a long row to hoe from where I sit, and many others as well. A national forum GTG might boost activity for the site, but it will be short lived in my opinion. This site sees more activity daily than the whole internet in a weeks time IMO, because it is great. We have great folks here, admins, mods, and members. Don't ruin things with those who did or didn't make it to the big gathering...this may lead to classification of members, and spin-offs of other web sites of those that may become discerned with such an ordeal and feeling left out. We've got a good thing going here....so I say start slow. Build that foundation for the future. Believe me when I say "I've been there". Just my 2¢

Several years ago we had a get-together of members on another forum in Vegas during the SHOT Show. It was a ball, and really nice to put a face with the screen name. I think we had around 50 show up. We just met at a restaurant one of the locals recommended and started introducing ourselves around. It was like old home week. The only thing that might have been better would have been name tags with our screen titles.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I think a Las Vegas meeting is a great idea. Generally flights there are reasonable. With enough notice we could make plans around it. I would suggest a spring or fall time frame as summers can be a bit on the hot side. Hopefully some knowledgeable members could put on some talks based on their expertise.

Count me in.

PS I would suggest Portland, but Oregon doesn't honor nobody else's permits and you would all have to be defenseless here. Although we do have a great range to have training at.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I think a meeting in Vegas would be great too.

I am somewhat bias since I live here
    MsXD9

[B]"When seconds count police are minutes away"!

Do it when the SHOT Show is there. If you've never been, you will be amazed. All it takes to get a free ticket is a little schmoozing with someone in the business. Be prepared to walk MILES of aisles!

Ok. The Shot Show will be Back in Vegas Feb 2010 (It's in FL this year) that gives us plenty of time. The Shot show is a wholesale show, If you have an FFl, a business license or if you have a business related to the industry you can get in. They also give away passes. But your not suspose to purchase off the floor (that sort of changes on the last day)

The show is usually Fri/Sat and Sun.

Should we meet during the show or the day before? Should we offer some training or just have a meet and greet?

Ramrods concerns have some merit. Maybe when an event like the Shot show or the NRA meeting comes around that might be a good place to meet. They all travel. The shot show is in vegas one year and FL the Next, The NRA meeting goes all over each year.( It's in Phx this year but was in Louisville last year.)

TRB...I'd be happy to line up the hall at my American Legion Post for the NRA time here in Phx, it's the one right downtown on 7th Ave north of Van Buren. But would there be enough attendance to justify it? We could certainly just meet at Hooters downtown too. But how many members are coming to the NRA meeting? I'd think we'd have a much bigger turnout in Vegas during the SHOT Show. Not to mention, that's a hoot to attend. The NRA meetings (and I'm a life member) are pretty stuffy. If you guys have never been to a SHOT Show, you have to do it at least once in your life. You'll be blown away. I'm sure most everyone knows someone in the industry that will hire them for a day to get a pass.

DC Founder
    I agree that something like the SHOT Show in Las Vegas might be the best bet for a real meet. There's a lot to do there and lots of potential places to meet others. Not to mention there are usually cheap flights into Las Vegas from just about everywhere in the country....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I still think regional, or state forums would be a good idea. Chapters if you will. That way things could remain more local, and chapter meets can get things started.
    +1 on the Chapter meetings. this way training can be customized to fit with in the CC laws of each state.

Sponsored Links